PDA

View Full Version : M94 .32/40

MattOrgan
08-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I recently cleaned up and assembled a 94 carbine. that I purchased as a box of parts. It had been stored somewhere that allowed it to be covered with dirt and bird droppings.

The action has a serial number that indicates it was manufactured in 1895. I really purchased the gun as a wall hanger. As I cleaned the parts the barrel seemmed to have a modern finish and markings. the bore looked like a sewer pipe, but one wet patch revealed a sparklingly clean, perfect bore. Further checking showed a '35 barrel date.
Obviously it had been rebarreled in 1935. Barrel bands and the buttstock indicate it was originally a rifle, not a carbine.

All this leads to two question; loading advice for the .32/40 in a lever gun. Second,
the hammer occasionally follows the bolt and catches in the safety notch, the trigger is extremely light. Any ideas or fixes for this?

Thanks,

Matt

Le Loup Solitaire
08-19-2012, 12:46 PM
The caliber/cartridge is an excellent target choice and was so respected for many years either with BP or smokeless. If your bore is good then it will do well for you. Brass can also be made from 38-55, by necking them down or by fireforming 30-30's so you'll never run out of brass. Original bullet was listed as Lyman 319247, but many others also performed well. MV is generally in the 1200-1300 fps class, but the gun will tell you what it prefers. if you do not like 40 grains of BP or cleaning the cases, you can simply punch up 32-40 on the net and do some searching on the appropriate loads/writings on smokeless powders. I suggest NOT hotting/souping up things much over 1300fps so as not not batter the gun. 32-40 was also considered adequate for medium size game. As for the hammer slipping to follow the bolt you have a wear problem in the hammer-sear surfaces and at least one of the parts has to be replaced; it isn't an expensive combo to replace and certainly worthwhile to do so not only from the safety factor, but it will ensure better control of accuracy. The Gun Parts Corp. out of W. Hurley N.Y. has all the parts for 94's etc. LLS

Marvin S
08-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Since you had it apart did you notice a MNS or the like under the barrel where the clearance cut is for the mag tube? If so the NS is for Nickel Steel in this case Midvale Nickel Steel. Both of mine are marked that way but are 1923's. If you have a Nickel steel barrel you should be fine with smokeless staying under the 30K SAMMI max pressure assuming your action is tight and you fix the trigger problem. Accurate has about the best loading data for the 32-40.

MattOrgan
08-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys. Yes there is the nickel steel stamp, and the action is tight. I'm kinda interested in trying black powder, but the cleaning issues kinda scare me.

Matt

Marvin S
08-19-2012, 07:45 PM
The good thing about the old original black powder cambering's is the cases are thin and seal well to the chamber. Just use some patches damped with soapy water to clean, then dry and oil. People done it for years so you can to.

OverMax
08-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Just my opinion MattOrgan: Don't bother to shoot black thru it. If it were a Take Down model it would be a little easier to keep clean. But since your rifle has a standard breech and barrel it's just to messy having to deal with Black. Use a pistol powder like IMR 4227 or 2400 in a light charge and some cast bollits to shoot thru her. She and old gal. So its best to treat her as such.

Tip: If your going to shoot 32 cast. Make sure there sized to .323. They (.323) seem to be the most accurate in my 32-40.

tom