PDA

View Full Version : My Wife's new Rossi 92

jmsj
08-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey Guys,
I got my Wife a Rossi 92 in 38/357 w/ a 16" barrel for our 10th anniversary. Before you guys start claiming that I really got this for myself, this is what she asked for.
I got this rifle a while back and slicked up the action and did a trigger job on the rifle so it would be ready for her on our anniversary.
She shoots pistols very well but has never wanted to shoot a long gun before.
We spent yesterday going over shooting technique and shooting paper targets. She told me she had a really good time. I think she did pretty well for her first time shooting a long gun. With the rear sight elevator all the way down the rifle shoots about 6" high at 25 yards She did say that she really disliked the sights on the rifle and I have to agree with her on that. We are going to look at getting a peep sight for her rifle.
jmsj

joec
08-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Hey Guys,
I got my Wife a Rossi 92 in 38/357 w/ a 16" barrel for our 10th anniversary. Before you guys start claiming that I really got this for myself, this is what she asked for.
I got this rifle a while back and slicked up the action and did a trigger job on the rifle so it would be ready for her on our anniversary.
She shoots pistols very well but has never wanted to shoot a long gun before.
We spent yesterday going over shooting technique and shooting paper targets. She told me she had a really good time. I think she did pretty well for her first time shooting a long gun. With the rear sight elevator all the way down the rifle shoots about 6" high at 25 yards She did say that she really disliked the sights on the rifle and I have to agree with her on that. We are going to look at getting a peep sight for her rifle.
jmsj

You might check out Steve's Gunz store and see what he has available also. I've been looking at some sights from his site now for a while. I haven't bought any yet however as I'm setting up a Rossi Rio Grande for hunting with a scope my next thing to add.

fecmech
08-19-2012, 11:36 AM
If you want to continue with the irons on the gun you need a taller front sight. A peep sight as you mention would also be an option. There is one other option if it appeals to you. Under your rear sight are 4 holes drilled and tapped for a Rossi scout scope mount P892 (http://www.rossiusa.com/2012catalog/?catalog_page=30). You could then either put an inexpensive (or expensive) pistol scope or small Red dot type sight on the mount. I have 2 of the Rossi 92's in .357, a 20" carbine and 24" octagon rifle. They are great guns and a lot of fun to shoot.

JJC
08-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I have been back and fourth on the Rossi, good quality or bad? I want one in 357 for the kids. Have not heard to much bad lately.

357shooter
08-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I love my M92 in 357. It's a 20inch round, so it's drilled for a scope. I go back and forth with the marble bullseye sight and a scope. I did put a taller hi-viz front sight on.

http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

http://www.marblearms.com/images/bullseye028.jpg

RobS
08-19-2012, 01:20 PM
My wife loves her Rossi 45 Colt 20" stainless. I put on Marbles rear sight with adjustable windage and elevation as well as replaced the front sight with a proper height fiber optic. All I can say is she was hitting beer cans at 100 yards standing and her smile, well, priceless.

MtGun44
08-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Skinner sight.

http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html

Bill

jmsj
08-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. They give us something to think about.
357shooter,
If I remember correctly you were going to try the Lee 358-105-SWC in your 357 Rossi 92. This is the bullet we used in hers. It fed and cycled but I could only get 1 & 1/2" groups at 25 yards from the bench using this bullet. Of course this is just in my gun. We are going to try some others to see if we can shrink the groups up more.
Tell me a little more about the Marbles Bullseye sight if you could.
Thanks, jmsj

357shooter
08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Try a Lee 125-RF, NRA lube, OAL of .595 (the leaves the crimp groove exposed) and 5.2 grains of HP38. At 25 yards, rested, I shot a 10 round group yesterday. It was less than 1/2 inch.

I'm using a Lee Rifle FCD, but it'll shoot with using a roll crimp die too. You may need to experiment with the crimp.

That Marbles bullseye lets you see the target at the range, the site itself doesn't block the shooters vision. It's also very intuitive, you eye natually centers the front hi-viz (fiber optic) right in the middle. It's not as accurate as a scope, but it is much easier than the iron sights that come on the Rossi.

Everone that has tried the Bullseye likes to shoot with it, and gets good results.

Four Fingers of Death
08-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Apart from a pretty ordinary finish, the standard sights are about the only criticism that you could make about the Rossi. I have a newer one (well about 7 years old now) and it has terrible sights. My older model 357 has crappy looking sheet metal sights, but I love the sight picture and they work a treat. They might catch going into a saddle scabbard is all.

Aces an Eights
08-22-2012, 09:17 AM
I've got the same gun and issues. It'll make a great little tractor gun once sorted. Has a few other issues like the lifter catching when using 38s and the gate pokeing out now and then also.

So far I've found it groups Lee 150 LRN very well, 105 SWCs mediocre and 125 9mm LRN surprisingly good.

Freightman
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Had a 45 Colt never had a problem but did put the Skinner sight on, traded it for a unfired original 03A3, wish I still had it but the 03 shoots as well and a lot farther.

Four Fingers of Death
08-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Had a 45 Colt never had a problem but did put the Skinner sight on, traded it for a unfired original 03A3, wish I still had it but the 03 shoots as well and a lot farther.

Good trade. An 03A3 in good condition is worth about three Rossis here.

helice
08-22-2012, 01:51 PM
The Rossi has been one of those wonderful surprises for me. I picked up a stainless LSI model in 45 Colt. It prompted my brother to purchase a bunch of Rossis. The popular caliber is the 357 mag. It kicks less, hits hard and costs less to reload.
My LSI had a foolish middle sight. (I have a hard time calling a sight that sits in the middle of a rifle a rear sight. A peep sight is a rear sight.) It also had a bolt mounted safety which so many here don't like. I found myself able to ignore the thing. When I found out that Stevesgunz had a Skinner type sight that fit in that safety recess I jumped on it. It was worth every penny. It was a simple 10 minute procedure to mount it and it works great. I recommend it and the 357 caliber. Just my opinion.