PDA

View Full Version : Ejection woes

GP100man
08-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Fellers ,I bought a 22 revolver & it shoots good just 1 problem ,ya can`t hardly eject the spent cases !!

Chambers are ruff ,I tried polishing with Flitz & a patch wrapped around a brush but made very little head way .

Tried making a flapper wheel , but can`t get the paper to stay.

Pointers & suggestions welcomed on polishing those little chambers welcomed.

GP

canyon-ghost
08-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Valve grinding compound with oil, on a patch using one of those slotted tips. I prefer to dip the whole patch in the compound, get it really soaked in it.

From a wheeler engineering kit, I have 200 and 300 grit. Local Napa, 500 grit Clover brand.

Good Luck,
Ron

44man
08-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Maybe chambers too large? Too much brass expansion. The .22 has pretty high pressures.
I don't know if I would lap them larger.
Might be a case of selling it off.

primersp
08-19-2012, 12:51 PM
in my 617 some brands of ammo are hard to eject and not the the more speed ,i have problem with lapua and rws match, gun works well with cci blazer

9.3X62AL
08-19-2012, 02:32 PM
EVERY 22 LR revolver I've owned--esp. the swing-out double-actions--have had extraction/ejection issues after 6-8 cylinders-full. I just brush out the chambers after every box of 50 rounds, and this seems to manage the problem pretty well. I've avoided the ten-shot S&W Model 617 for just this reason--my six-shot variant is trouble enough in this respect.

Some ammo types/makes shoot cleaner or dirtier than others, as alluded to above. 44 Man is right, high-velocity 22 LR runs at some impressive pressures. A friend's Marlin Model 60 had a chamber discharge with the bolt partially open, and THAT was one very loud BANG. I was maybe 20 years old when that happened, and still immortal--we brushed out the partial case from its chamber, wiped the brass dust out of the action with Hoppe's, and went right on shooting. That was 37 years ago, and I remember the incident--its players--and its location to this day.

MtGun44
08-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Use a split dowel or rod and a strip of 400 or finer grit wet or dry (black) sandpaper
in a drill. Be careful not to funnel the chamber. don't use coarser than 400, you are
polishing, not removing material.

I tend to agree with Al, brush the chambers every so often. I have similar issues, worse
with some guns.

Bill

NickSS
08-20-2012, 05:43 AM
I had the same issues with several colt and S&W 22 revolvers over the years and sold them all off due to it being a pain. Then I bought a much despised Taurus tracker 9 shot revolver and it does not have this problem. I bought two other Taurus 22 revolvers with similar results shooting all sorts of ammo and no sticky shell casings. I really do not know why but they work for me and are some of my favorite shooters.