PDA

View Full Version : Mold from Accurate is the best!

hermans
08-19-2012, 09:04 AM
After ordering my new 4 cavity brass mold from Tom at Accurate Molds, I had to wait 4 weeks for it to arrive here in South Africa. Tom shipped it 2 days after ordering, but the long wait is normal for us here in South Africa!
I first cleaned the mold with alcohol, then I scrubbed it with hot water and dish washing liquid. After assembling it again, I put it on the hot plate to heat up nicely before starting to cast. The first cycle got rejected, the second one yielded 2 good boolits, and from the third cycle it produced 4 perfect boolits every time. Using some Bullplate Lube as per instructions, enabled me to cut the sprues by hand, and when I opened the mold, the 4 perfect boolits just dropped out smartly.
The mold is a 45-230B, and the boolits weighed 231 gr cast with clip on WW's. Tom said that they would drop at .455, which they did.
I can really recommend one of these molds, they are just far superior to any of my steel molds.
Below is a pic of my first 15 minutes worth of casting, which produced about 150 boolits.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_174315030b17068944.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6324)

Beagle333
08-19-2012, 09:12 AM
That was a useful 15 minutes! Nice boolits!:cbpour:

Cadillo
08-19-2012, 10:32 PM
So is your new mould made of brass, aluminum? I have iron and brass from various makers, but have yet to try aluminum. Just curious. Glad you are pleased.

MikeS
08-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Tom makes some really fine moulds! All of the moulds I've bought from Tom were made of brass, but I did buy a used aluminum Accurate Mold, and it casts every bit as good as his brass ones do! The only difference is that the aluminum one needs more work to maintain proper mould temp while casting where the brass ones stay at casting temp much easier.

Between Accurate Molds, Mihec, and NOE, we're really getting spoiled! In fact I rarely buy any factory moulds anymore, except on very rare occasions. I recently bought a couple of SAECO moulds, and while they cast really good, the finish of the cast boolits just isn't the same. Back when I was still using a Lyman 45 lubrisizer I had cast some boolits from Mihec's clone of the H&G #68, and the finish on the nose was so smooth that I had problems grabbing the boolits once they were sized & lubed!

hermans
08-20-2012, 07:59 AM
This one is my first mold from Accurate, and is every bit as good as my other 4 cavity brass mold from MP. The only difference here for me was the ease of ordering a mold from Tom. To get one from Miha is a different story. My other molds are all from RCBS, steel of course, they are also fine molds which could last a life time if you take good care of them, but the ease of casting of these 4 cavity brass ones are just unreal!
I would guess that you get almost double the amount of boolits with one of these 4 cavity brass molds, than using two double cavity steel molds?

hermans
08-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Cadillo, it is a 4 cavity brass mold. The only experience I have with aluminum molds, is when I started casting more than 30 years back. They were Lee molds, and I remember almost giving it up because of the bad quality of these molds, after getting an RCBS mold, things started to brighten up. For me personally, I will stick to brass and steel, but I am sure that a quality aluminum mold from NOE or Accurate, will also be just fine.

popper
08-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Just got 2 new 4 hole moulds today from Tom. Aluminum, but make the Lees look lousy. Come on cool weather, I got WORK to do. I did get some ingots poured this morning @ 85F.

bigboredad
08-20-2012, 04:55 PM
I just got my first aluminum from Tom I have brass molds 1 steel mold and now 1 aluminum they are all great and I mean great but this aluminum mold is just amazing I really love it especially since it's a three cavity and each bullet weigh 428gr anf they drop perfect and are just plain awesome

popper
08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Poured ~ 100 308 this morning, they just pop right out! First cast with this mould so normal start up problems but got 50% good pretty quickly. Now to load some dummy and check fit.

Cadillo
08-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Cadillo, it is a 4 cavity brass mold. The only experience I have with aluminum molds, is when I started casting more than 30 years back. They were Lee molds, and I remember almost giving it up because of the bad quality of these molds, after getting an RCBS mold, things started to brighten up. For me personally, I will stick to brass and steel, but I am sure that a quality aluminum mold from NOE or Accurate, will also be just fine.

Thanks! Sorry I missed that on the first read. I think that my next mould will be from him. Great to hear that you're happy with it.

white eagle
08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
no new new's on Tom's mold's
I am glad you picked a top performer from the start
well done

GLL
08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I ordered another custom brass mold from Tom on Monday. It has been two whole days and it has not arrived yet !
Tom is slipping lately ! ;) ;)

The most amazing customer service anywhere ! PERIOD ! The man must not sleep ! :)

Jerry

snuffy
08-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I had to do a google search to see what's offered on Toms site? Holy cow, those are some real nice looking molds!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

I don't see any HP designs though, no crammer-type molds?

GLL
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Snuffy:

The prettiest mold cavities you will ever see ! :)

AM 433-270W
http://www.fototime.com/8F95495D13D5995/medium800.jpg

Jerry

bigboredad
08-23-2012, 06:20 PM
I had to do a google search to see what's offered on Toms site? Holy cow, those are some real nice looking molds!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

I don't see any HP designs though, no crammer-type molds?

Nope no hp's I'll tell you what they are the best molds and the best c/s you could ever hope for and you don't have to wait for a year. I wish I had the money to get another one right now. I have used his steel brass and aluminum and they all are amazing

bobo55
08-23-2012, 10:01 PM
I recieved from tom today a brass 10mm 200gr (403200C) mold, my forth from accurate. All of his molds are top tier. Some are as good, none are higher quality