PDA

View Full Version : What gun would would you choose?

madcaster
05-13-2007, 11:15 AM
In the situation of only one woodsrunning/survival gun,what would you choose and why?
For me a falling block .22 rifle is ideal.
Thanks ya'll,
Jeff.

dubber123
05-13-2007, 12:18 PM
.22's are cheap and surprisingly effective, but a little water on your ammo will kill a surprisingly large amount of it, just not a good seal around the bullet. For a true survival gun, I'd choose a centerfire anything over a rimfire, just for reliabilities sake.

Bullshop
05-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I am with dubber123 only I would add with a meiserly appetite for powder. During the depression the 22 hornet was populer. It eats little but performs big. With PB boolits it can be loaded to the high end of its potential for about $1.50 per 50 rounds, and with a GC boolit add about .75 for full potential loads. Like the 22 RF it comes in some wonderfuly light and handy packages too.
BIC/BS

redneckdan
05-13-2007, 01:09 PM
i'm liking my .300 whisper I have, with 15grs of H4227 you get .30/30 like performance.

Char-Gar
05-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Your ARE talking to a bunch of gun cranks, reloaders and bullet casters, right? In that case I would take a good 30-06. I can load it with light gallery loads for the work a 22 LR would do. I can up the power to small game, medium game, big game and social purposes.

A 30-30 would do just as good as long as nothing larger than deer might be taken.

libbyman
05-13-2007, 02:27 PM
What you would like to have and what is at hand is another question. Have plenty of ammo for ALL of your firearms, and have it with you when the SHTF.
I have carried a M98 and a sealed can of ammo in my truck for about 10 yrs.
Just in case. Change the ammo out about every 6 mo. Just MHO.

Ken in nw Mt.

DLCTEX
05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
I'd probably choose my 222 bolt gun. I can load it down for small stuff and cast boolits or go jacketed and 55 gr. and take anything around here. With my supply of brass, lead, primers, and bullets I could subsistence hunt for the rest of my life with full expectation the rifle would keep on ticking. Or 243, same same. Dale

Iceman
05-13-2007, 02:41 PM
In the situation of only one woodsrunning/survival gun,what would you choose and why?
For me a falling block .22 rifle is ideal.
Thanks ya'll,
Jeff.

Get a good .45-70. You can use anything from round ball and Bullseye to full house that will handle anything. The .30-30 is another good choice, just much smaller. Mine was a .44-40 M92 Winchester, never fired a factory round through it, used round balls for short range, various 200-215gr cast bullets, very handy. Re; waterproofing ammo, reloads will have the same problems that rimfires do unless the primers and case mouths are sealed, just like the factories do. I once shot an IPSC match with .38 Super in pouring rain, ammo got very wet, worked O K during the match (ask who won the match!!) decided to use up remainder of match ammo in practice next week, had MANY missfires!
Iceman.

POW's, MIA's, you are not forgotten.

MT Gianni
05-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Savage 24 in 22 lr over 20 gauge. Light, and easy to pack along with 500 rds of 22, 100 rds of #6 and 20 rds of buckshot. As of now I am still looking for the buckshot and not yet bored enough to take fingernail polish to the 22's to waterproof it. Maybe I'll just through a bottle in on top of the dynapoints. [Yes , I admit to thinking about this before and reloading may not be an option in a pack it around situation]. Gianni

onceabull
05-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Gianni's choice is a good'un: Mine is the Sav.O/U in 30/30 over 20G 3"..MIght go his way if I wasn't also packing my Woodsman as has been the case for 39 years.!! :roll: Onceabull"

twoworms
05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
My 500S&W with a 4" barrel, with my gun leather you can pack it all day.

Ammo can be loaded with shot for very small game. My 440 cast will take down about anything you have the need to shoot.

Tim

SharpsShooter
05-13-2007, 06:05 PM
1895 Marlin 45-70. The 45-70 can be loaded down to deal with small game or loaded up to handle anything else with equal accuracy across the board.

SS

dk17hmr
05-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Probably my 16" heavy barrel AR-15, 4.5-14x40 scope, good enough for small game deadly on deer and meat animals.

3 loaded mags=90 rounds which is light enough to carry on your belt.

Ammo would be FMJ and hollow points though.

floodgate
05-13-2007, 11:30 PM
I go with mtgianni; we have a Savage 24F, .22LR over 20 as our "farm gun". A nice little rig, with a trap in the butt for a half-dozen spare .22s and a couple of 20s. Sights were poor (I'm working on them), and trigger pull is AWFUL - but - y'know - neither made a difference when I used #3Buck to anchor a bobcat at 30 paces a few weeks ago, carrying off one of our chickens. It will also finish off a deer hit by a car on our counrty road, and should do a numbah on a two-legs if the occasion arises. It ain't purty with the shoe-polish finish on its whitewood stock; but it gets the job done!

floodgate

crazy mark
05-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I'd go with the savage over and unders also. Either a 222 or 30/30 over a 20 Ga. The 22/410 wouldn't be enough in my opinion. Mark

onceabull
05-14-2007, 12:15 AM
I thinking 30 paces might stretch the 3" 20g load of #3 buck a bit,but at 20 I'd wager that any 2 legged predator wouldn't be leaving the scene under their own power..I put away a sufficiency of 3" 20g copper 4's when lead shot was banned, and having tested pattern & penetration at 20 yd.,that type of predator will not be in need of further social or medical services after stopping the charge with their liver.The #3 buck is for edible stuff... Onceabull

BruceB
05-14-2007, 07:09 AM
On the one occasion in my life wherein I had to prepare to do some anti-personnel shooting, I was very fortunate to have the very rifle I would have CHOSEN for the job right there in the truck with me.

It was a TRW-built M-14 with three loaded magazines. Over a period of about 15-20 minutes while the situation developed, my one great solace lay in the fact that I was truly prepared for the danger to come. The decision was made to shoot when things got to a certain point, and I had the right "WEAPON" (not a term I use lightly) for the job.

It was also a great relief to NOT have to shoot, but it's far better to have it and not need it..... y'all know the rest.

To have an effective firearm at hand, I'd make trade-offs in other equipment areas as to weight, bulk, etc. For instance, I'd take a good .44 revolver with fifty rounds over a .22 with 500 rounds.....ANY DAY. I did just this for many years in the North. However, at my advanced state of geezerhood and decrepitude, my scenarios now involve hunkering down and maintaining a defensive posture. No more long hikes for this ol' guy.

Ergo, my first choice for a defensive gun would be my wonderful .303 BREN LMG that I can't import into this country. That would surely give anyone with evil designs some serious trouble.... Barring the BREN, M1As and FALs are great for my uses. A do-all handgun in the southern 48 would be one of my .357 S&Ws with a selection of loads available.

medic44
05-14-2007, 09:19 AM
I like my CETME or my SKS. Both can be loaded down w/ subsonic light 113 gr for small game or full power for large any large game I'm going to find in Missouri. I shoot left handed so semi auto is a must for fast follow up shots. I get lots of dog packs into the cattle so I need to get multiple shots off fast for several targets.

Bullshop
05-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Hay now I thought this was for a casual woods loafing gun not for going into battle. If I am going to battle I want explosives. If I cant have them a couple dozen #5 Newhouse's would be good. Ah yes the heart of a trapper even in battle.
Any of yall ever hear of Castners Cutthroats? They were some trappers that lived by thier whits in the bush and gave the Japs what for when they invaded the Aleution Islands.
BIC/BS

floodgate
05-14-2007, 01:04 PM
onceabull:

"I thinking 30 paces might stretch the 3" 20g load of #3 buck a bit."

You are correct: 30 paces was stretching a bit, but he was moving away and I didn't want to lose him (the "chook" was already done for, and he had gotten two the previous night). It DID anchor him and I was able to close up and finish him off; that's what it is all about.

But those little Savage over / unders are ideal for this purpose. I had been looking for the .30-30 over 12 ga., with the choke tubes; but - although Savage has listed them for years, I was never able to find one; even a call to the home office only led to a lot of hemming and hawing, and no confirmation that they had ever made any. But the .22LR / 20 ga. does the specific job(s) I needed and I am very happy with it.

Incidentally, since there is no safety except the rebounding hammer, I leave it loaded with the 20 #3B, but leave the selector set on the .22 position, and my wife is well briefed on how to cock it and throw the switch to the shot barrel. If a visitor or kid should try to play with it, I figure that will confuse them long enough to get it away from them in time; when we are away, it lives in the safe; otherwise out of sight behind the open bedroom door.

Sorry for the long post; we here all know about these things, but I wanted to think things through from the viewpoint of a non-gun-oriented "newbie" to the realities of living in a rather remote rural area with occasional predators of both the two- and four-legged variety; so please feel free to pass this info on - modified as needed - to others in similar situations.

floodgate

MT Gianni
05-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Hay now I thought this was for a casual woods loafing gun not for going into battle. If I am going to battle I want explosives. If I cant have them a couple dozen #5 Newhouse's would be good. Ah yes the heart of a trapper even in battle.
Any of yall ever hear of Castners Cutthroats? They were some trappers that lived by thier whits in the bush and gave the Japs what for when they invaded the Aleution Islands.
BIC/BS

I'm with ya there Dan. Big time difference in a woods loafing gun and war guns. I'll take claymores and let you release the unfortunates in the Newhouse's. Gianni

onceabull
05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Floodgate: --Doug,no criticism intended as to your "treatment"for 'ol Bob..Heck, I would have tried him with #6's if that was what was available..The family had a sav.22 mag./3"410 on the "farm" in Nevada county for a good while , among other applications it limited the amount of crop damage the blacktails inflicted,and converted some of the crops into protein for us..Would never do nowadays,of course,since the powers that be put the grade school right next door on what was prime quail/pheasant cover in my youth... fine memories of that era, best , Onceabull

Bullshop Junior
05-14-2007, 11:42 PM
I think My ruger 30/06. It is light, and it will handle any thing, from round balls for rabbits and grouse, sabots for fur, and something big for moose bear deer.
DANIEL/BS Jr.

Bret4207
05-15-2007, 11:52 AM
If you mean survival like living off the land- then Savage O/U, 22 mag or somthing like a 30-30 would be fine as long as you'd let me have 3-4 110 Connibears and and some fishing gear.

If we're talking "survival" like all the Y2K guys thought- M1 Abrahms and plenty of rounds and fuel.

montana_charlie
05-15-2007, 01:15 PM
In the situation of only one woodsrunning/survival gun,
The author defined the parameters when he opened the thread. He obviously means a weapon that is 'available' during activities when hunting or man killing is not the primary intent.

Therefore, the firearm needs to be 'convenient' enough to not be left behind, and 'capable' enough to provide sustenance until the situation improves.

While I feel that a good knife and fire-making materials are more useful than a firearm in that situation, I wouldn't mind having my 10-22 or Mark II along. My Anschutz bolt gun is (perhaps) more dependable, and (certainly) more accurate, but it's scope makes it too 'fragile'.

A .22 rimfire will easily kill a deer if one is woodsman enough to get the right shot...but that's more meat than is usually necessary in all but the most extreme survival situations.

Need a deer, but don't have a gun? If your knife can take some abuse...and you can find a discarded hubcap...you can get a deer.
CM

rvpilot76
05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I think I'll throw the first SMLE into the mix. Ten round magazine, bolt action, flip vernier sights, great trigger (at least in my #4 Mk. 1), FAT 30 caliber, battle-tested (soldier approved), fast magazine reloading with the 10 round stripper clips, etc. I can load it with cast at lower velocity, or feed it Sierra Matchkings at full strength for longer engagements.

Kevin

madcaster
05-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Montana Charlie,
Well no,I did not mean a civilian caught up in a military invasion situation,as that is not going to be as prevelant as a pure everyday survival situation.
And you know,I was thinking today before I had read any more posts on this thread,a Ruger 10-22 IS a good choice!Heck,even if you lose the clip you still have a good single shot.Mine is a black synthetic stock/stainless metal gun.
Plenty of deer have been killed by a .22,probably more than with a .30/30,because we DO have folks who just can't wait to hunt all legal like,or can't afford a license and are out of work,etc....
A good flint and steel are just as important as you have stated.
Thanks everybody,and keep on posting your opinions please!
Jeff.

Iceman
05-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Re; BruceB and the M14; I shot my first deer with an ex-Israeli Win. built M14 with plastic stock. Also the second!

History is one damned thing after another!
Sir Winston Churchill

Idaho Sharpshooter
05-16-2007, 12:01 AM
I have the perfect "do-it-all" long gun, a Savage M24 30-30 barrel on top of a 12 gauge 3.5" mag with choke tubes. With the array of spitzer J-bullets and cast like 311284 and 311332 and 334 the rig has no limitations. Brown Bear or moose, 3.5" magnum with a slug load thank you very much.

Rich
DRSS

Hunter
05-16-2007, 11:54 PM
If I could have only one centerfire firearm it would be the Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum.
I believe I have reconsidered. I do not think I would part with my Colt Cold Cup Trophy.

Jim
05-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Boy, one firearm for life, that's a tough one. It would take me awhile to decide between my scope mounted Rem 700 in '06 or my bolt action .45-70. If it came down to defense, I'd hafta say the .45-70. If it were about surviving and needing to put meat on the table, I'd prob'ly go with the '06. As a couple of responders have already mentioned either can be loaded with RBs for small game or Howitzer shells for big stuff.

BruceB
05-17-2007, 10:56 AM
It appears that my selection of my Bren LMG isn't much help to the discussion, because it relates to MY circumstances, TODAY, when "woodsrunning" is no longer a consideration.

However, in years past I worked in the bush full time, in the vast and remote lands of the Northwest Territories. In addition, my wife and I fished and hunted extensively in the far North as well. Keeping in mind that bear encounters were common, not occasional, and that when engaged in work, fishing or hunting it is a practical impossibility to keep a rifle immediately at hand, my choice fell on a good .44 magnum revolver with full-power cast loads. My wife also carried a .44, which turned out to be a VERY good thing on one occasion.

The main point here is that bears will often first appear at close range, and there could well be from little to NO time to get one's rifle over against that tree (out of instant reach), and thus my insistence on having the .44 at hand. We encountered black bears routinely, grizzlies fairly-frequently when in their range, and even the odd white bear when working in the higher Arctic close to salt water. NONE of them can be considered to be risk-free encounters, because the one predictable thing about bears is that they are ...unpredictable. A healthy black bear once killed and partly-ate a man in his sleeping bag, not more than a mile from our bush home. Anyone who thinks black bears are harmless is a damned fool!

It was a daily routine precaution to take a rifle out of camp and cache it a few hundred yards away when heading out to work. It was picked up again on the way back to camp in case a bear should be in the camp when we arrived. The rifle was usually a .303 British with 180-grain softpoints, and a rifle and ammo were supplied by the employer to each field crew. I generally had a few of my own rifles along as well, but the pistol stayed with me, no matter what other tactics we used.

The .44 was donned along with my pants in the morning, and was in reach 24/7. It would still be my choice if I was engaged in such activities, even here in Nevada.

Char-Gar
05-17-2007, 11:37 AM
There was a time when I spent protracted periods in the Ecuadorian rain forest (tripple canopy jungle) among the native peoples. I was by my self and any help was days away. There were some hostile types around and I also had to feed myself from the forest.

The only firearms I had was a Colt Huntsman autopistol in 22 LR. It did everything I asked it to do and did it well. There are better choices available today and I would want something in stainless as 400 inches of rain a year can make firearms care a real challenge.

MT Gianni
05-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Bruce, I figured packing a handgun was just part of "Don't ask, Don't tell". Gianni

Bear Claw
05-19-2007, 09:15 AM
This question goes around quite a bit, and the answer is whatever you like but consider this,,, a good pump 12ga your choice of maker, if for no other reason it will do for birds to bears from the same gun.

If I REALY had to chose in a hurry my rem 870 police spec is what I would take, but a rock or stick used in the correct manner can also get you whatever gun you need so as I taught my sons I offer this...

" the best weapon you have is between your ears "

:Fire:

monadnock#5
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Save your ammo. A spool of trolling wire and a hatchet for making snares will put protein on the spit. The sound of firearms only attracts the attention of those whom, in certain situations, you might like to avoid.

Ken

waksupi
05-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I was wondering when bow and arrow would make the charts here?

monadnock#5
05-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Oh, and as applies to my post above, I'm thinking specifically of those in like destitute circumstances, but rather than ask for assistance, would steal my daily bread and convert it to their own. I wasn't considering the federales. Bahyis, we don't need no steenking bahyis!!

Old Ironsights
05-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Day to day general use woods/truck gun = .357 Levergun.

For supplies: Low powder use, low bullet weight

Capable of cleanly taking anything from small game to modest big game out to 100yds. (3gr of Titegroup makes a nice subsonic 25yd critter getter.)

While not ideal, 10 rounds of even .357 whompum should be enough to get you out of a Bear/Boar jam.

.357 for GP for me.