PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the groundhog dog.

Trey45
08-18-2012, 11:20 AM
My good and faithful hound has once again cornered a groundhog in the yard, and this time she attacked it and chewed on its neck for a while. This makes 2 this season she has cornered. This one I gave a dose of 410 to from my 1957 Savage Model 24. It's the back porch gun and was handy, and loaded.

http://images58.fotki.com/v448/photos/6/1809686/10101988/IMG_9852-vi.jpg

And here's the terror of groundhogs in Gates County.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/246438_369097156481096_2124089731_n.jpg

All in all, not a bad morning! How's ya'll doin?

WILCO
08-18-2012, 11:31 AM
How's ya'll doin?

Me? I'm just going in circles because of B.S. Decided to have some Jameson and relax before going forward. Great looking dog and shotgun by the way. [smilie=s:

Jim
08-18-2012, 11:43 AM
I sure hope that dog's friendly to people. If she ain't, you need to lock her in a conex. I wouldn't trust a tug boat anchor chain to hold that!

Trey45
08-18-2012, 12:08 PM
She's friendly to those she knows. Strangers? Not so much....
Case in point, I had a UPS delivery yesterday, a different driver than who she's used to, the guy couldn't get out of the truck, I had to go get my package from him. The electric invisible fence has proven to be the best investment I have made so far for keeping her safe in the yard, and keeping everyone else safe outside the yard!

dagger dog
08-18-2012, 01:57 PM
A dog like that is an asset especially to the landowner-farmer, they have that sense of place and will patrol and guard "their turf" and "pack".

It's been too long since I have had an outside dog, and now that I'm very close to retirement, I'm looking forward to raising a pup to watch the home place. I plan on raising some poultry and expanding the garden and both will need a 4 legged canine patrol.

JeffinNZ
08-18-2012, 06:34 PM
She's so pretty. To pretty to get herself covered in ground hog blood.

Wayne Smith
08-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Good on you and yours, Trey! Groundhogs will devastate a garden. Good dog = good protection.

runfiverun
08-18-2012, 10:17 PM
tried that electric fence thing once.

the staffordshire terrior [el-be] would just back up, run to where the line was buried, and jump as high as she could over it.

fivedog just went and dug up the wire and chewed through it.

Southern Son
08-19-2012, 01:26 AM
What breed is that pup?

Trey45
08-19-2012, 05:14 AM
She is 100 percent mutt. The vet says she is some kind of a hound dog mix.

Jim
08-19-2012, 07:44 AM
She is 100 percent mutt. The vet says she is some kind of a hound dog mix.

Yeah, half Daddy's girl and half ground hog killer.

MBTcustom
08-19-2012, 08:23 AM
She is 100 percent mutt.
That's the best kind!
Its one of the mysteries of life how a dog and a man that compliment each-other somehow manage to end up together. Its the same with a marriage, sure there is no shortage of dysfunctional marriages or dog/owner relationships, but the fact that it works right so often is a miraculous thing.
Especially with a dog. I mean lets face it, you don't put near as much thought into what canine lives with you as you do what female you get hitched up with.

My dog was a mutt too. I was hunting with my wife in NW Arkansas. We went into a country store called The Hogeye Mall (gas station with two pumps) and saw a flier on the bulletin board that said "wolf pups free". Turns out that the place was off of the road we took back to the woods, so on the way back we stopped at this rough looking house trailer that had a bunch of dogs outside. Nobody was home so we walked up a little closer and saw these cute little white balls fluffy puppies rolling around on top of each-other on the front porch. All the other dogs were penned up and started barking fit to raise the dead when we walked up. One of those little puppies ran right up to may wife though. It was.....perfect. I knew from the look in Mrs. goodsteels eye that we were leaving with that puppy.
I have had very bad luck with mutts in the past, so I named her Jinx. I wish now I had thought of something better, because she has been the best dog I could have ever imagined. She is obedient and she only barks when someone (or something) is walking past the house. She doesn't bark just to hear the melodious sound of her own voice like some of my neighbor's do. When she starts up there is a reason for it.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, but It does my heart good to see a man so proud of his dog.
This is Jinx, best dog I ever had, not quite as chiseled as the dog/tank above, but I love her:
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_3439.jpg