PDA

View Full Version : 243 reloading stuff needed

flashhole
08-18-2012, 07:20 AM
One of the local farm kids (Drew, age 15) worked odd jobs when not doing farm chores. Saved his money and bought a rifle chambered in 243 Winchester. He went through the Hunter Safety Training and will be in the woods this year looking for his first buck. Our families are friends and he has seen my reloading set up a number of times and has expressed significant interest in reloading. I'm trying to get him started ... correctly and under guidance.

Anyone have any components or tools they care to donate to the cause to get him started? They will go to Drew, not me. I will provide mentoring, powder and primers and probably give him a press at some time in the future.

I have this posted on GBO also and am getting some donations of bullets and brass. Still looking for a set of dies and a Lee Case Length Gage for 243 Win or other ways to trim the brass.

just.don
08-18-2012, 09:50 AM
PM to follow

flashhole
08-18-2012, 11:06 AM
PM responded to.

seagiant
08-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Hi Flash,
Does he have a powder measure yet?

flashhole
08-18-2012, 12:35 PM
He doesn't have anything yet. I'm trying to piece a system together. Anything is helpful.

seagiant
08-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi Flash,
I have this SEACO measure I rebuilt and I found a couple of partial boxes of Speer .243 6 MM bullets. PM me your addy if you want it and I'll get it in the mail Mon.

I'm going to get on the soapbox here a miniute and tell anyone reading this thread that we older guys are not the future to this hobby? No this is more to a life style and anytime we can help a young man or woman in this we darn sure better do it!!! Thanks Flashhole!

trappst
08-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Do you have a Lee case length gauge/trimmer yet? I may have one laying around....will check when I get home.

Hardcast416taylor
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I have brass and some bullets, unsure of weight, from when I had a .243 if interested PM me.Robert

Firebricker
08-18-2012, 02:20 PM
If he doesn't have dies yet pm me address I have a mixed set of .243 If they'll get used I'd be happy to donate to a young hunter. FB

seagiant
08-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi,
Monday morning bump! I'm a little dissapointed, I guess I'll have to rearrange my respect factor for people on this site! Yea,and I've had my cafe con leche also this morning!

I'm sure this kid could use a scale and a press also! For you guys with **** piled to the top of your workshop,who you going to leave it to?

Hardcast416taylor
08-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Well I put a FRB of brass and bullets in todays mail. Enjoy.Robert

429421Cowboy
08-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Have you thought of getting him on this site as well? Always nice to have other young shooters here and everyone here is patient and offers good advice! Have you checked the PIF section for things that could help as well?

flashhole
08-20-2012, 04:04 PM
The responses are coming in, most via PM. I didn't expect anything extrodinary to happen, just thought I'd ask the question for those who might have some extra stuff kicking around. As I told the folks who PM'ed me, I will post pics when I get stuff pieced together and better determine where the gaps are. Thanks for your generosity. One thing I hope to do is make a pictoral how-to with him one-on-one so he will have reference material to fall back on. One of the gaps is a reloading manual (or two). If you have a spare that would be helpful.

I will definately suggest he participate in the forum. They have dial-up, not the fastest but it works.

flashhole
08-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Brass and bullets received.

Powder measure received.

Thanks, will keep you posted on the progress.

flashhole
08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
trappst - package received. Thanks.