PDA

View Full Version : 125 grain Missouri bullets

opos
08-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Got a bunch of .358 125 grain Missouri projectiles (12 hardness) that I've been loading with Trail boss for low velocity "cowboy" type loads in 38 special and 357 Mag...Works ok but loses accuracy at 25 plus yards....I have some Unique and some 231 sitting around and just wonder if anyone has had any luck with something fairly soft shooting that will carry accuracy a bit further? I hesitate to use 231 because of the small quantity in the case, especially the 357....I can't prove it but I think the 231 is a bit position sensitive...thanks
opos

captaint
08-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I use a lot of Red Dot and find it to meter very well. In the 45ACP and the 9mm I've had good success. With Unique, not so much. The 231 has worked and metered well also. enjoy Mike

opos
08-18-2012, 08:20 AM
I shoot a lot of 231 in 38 special with those jacketed things and it works fine...guess my "concern" about position sensitivity would have shown up there if it were a problem...just figured it's a small quantity of powder for the case capacity. I shoot a lot of 45 Colt and while 231 is listed several places for that use I don't use it....I really don' t like a tiny bit of powder in a big case...I check and double check but that's just a bit too much "possiblity" of bad thins for me...

Many thanks...I'll load em up.

captaint
08-19-2012, 06:35 AM
On a slightly different subject, last nite I loaded up some 9mm rounds and was using Red Dot powder. Guess what - It does not meter real well. It's one of those powders that I have to use the Uniflow rather than the little Harrells. For whatever reason, the Harrells throws very inconsistent charges in the 4 gr range of Red Dot. Does the same thing with Unique. Of course, to look at them, Red Dot and Unique are VERY similar, except for the "red dots". Just an observation. I only mention this because I previously stated that Red Dot meters very well. In the Uniflow, it does..... enjoy Mike