PDA

View Full Version : MiHec mould hollow point clips

Ilwil
08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I just got my first mould from him with the changeable hollow point pints. Included are about 8 little spring clips that are meant to secure the pins in the mould blocks. They are tiny, and I am having trouble getting them on to seat properly. Does anyone have experience/ tips about how to use them, then remove and reinstall them? Bending them open wider doesn't seem a good plan. How important are they to successful casting with these pins?

jmsj
08-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Ilwil,
I get them started into the groove and use a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze them on the rest of the way on.
Good luck, jmsj

dragonrider
08-17-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't use them. I use to use them but they mostly fell off so I stopped. So far I haven't had a pin fall out.

Dale53
08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
I use the same method as "jmsj" to deal with it.

FWIW
Dale53

2 dogs
08-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Needle nose pliers work for me.

captaint
08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Keep the clips and use NN pliers. enjoy Mike

longbow
08-18-2012, 10:45 AM
I set a magnet on the mould blocks when I am working with the clips so if I drop one taking it off the magnet "grabs" it.

When putting them back on I load the magnet with clips, set it next to the pin and use needle nose pliers to maneuver the clip to the slot then squeeze just as the others have said.

I have thin magnets that are just about perfect height to match the slots in the pins. Haven't dropped or lost a clip since I started using them.

Longbow

Wal'
08-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Buy heaps of spares & keep them close by.

edler7
08-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Buy heaps of spares & keep them close by.

Anybody know their size ? I assume it's a metric clip....but I'm not sure how they are measured.

HDS
08-31-2012, 12:36 AM
I just put them on with my fingers first, just so they don't fall off, then I take whatever I have handy like the handle of a knife and press them on. I also only use one row, I leave the other one without clips. By now I got lots of spares for later.

alamogunr
08-31-2012, 07:25 AM
Anybody know their size ? I assume it's a metric clip....but I'm not sure how they are measured.

Check post #7 in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=93620&highlight=clips

mold maker
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
I had extras sent with my last mold.The magnet trick will preclude me needing more.

Wayne Smith
08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
I had extras sent with my last mold.The magnet trick will preclude me needing more.

Don't bet on it! If you need more I ordered 50 of them years ago. I still have plenty.

W.R.Buchanan
09-02-2012, 05:56 PM
do be careful when using the pliers for installing the E clips. It is very easy to goon the ends of the pins.

They don't slide out of the mould blocks when they are gooned even a little bit.

Ask me how I know this?

It took me nearly an hour with a jewlers file and small stone to UN-goon the pins so I could remove them from the block.

Mihec's holes are about .001 above the size of his pins.

Randy

Echo
09-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I use a hemostat to grab & hold the clip when I start the installation, holding on one side so I can use the NN's to seat the clip.

Jeff Michel
09-09-2012, 05:32 AM
For what it's worth, I lower the pin until the groove is even with the mold block and just push it in place with a flat bladed screw driver. To remove, reverse operation. You can get e clips quite readily at McMaster-Carr, MSC or if you have an ACE hardware in town they have them as well.