PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 trouble

south.texas.dead.I
08-17-2012, 04:48 PM
I was just using the Lyman sizer 450 model and when I began unscrewing the plunger I saw that the pressure lube plate was at the bottom of the tube and it was just spinning as I was twisting the bolt. 46946 what do I do? There is an aluminum plate mounted under the sizer to function as a heating plate

trixter
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I would say pull it out and check the 'O' rings if it has them. Replace them as necessary. If it is the older style with the brass slider, then that is above my pay grade.

south.texas.dead.I
08-17-2012, 05:02 PM
I would say pull it out and check the 'O' rings if it has them. Replace them as necessary. If it is the older style with the brass slider, then that is above my pay grade.

How can I pull it out?

swheeler
08-17-2012, 05:10 PM
I was just using the Lyman sizer 450 model and when I began unscrewing the plunger I saw that the pressure lube plate was at the bottom of the tube and it was just spinning as I was twisting the bolt. 46946 what do I do? There is an aluminum plate mounted under the sizer to function as a heating plate

I would guess you need to turn it the other way?

south.texas.dead.I
08-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Nah I mean it's not catching or something. The plug only raises or lowers when it's not spinning while I turn the bolt?

oneokie
08-17-2012, 05:26 PM
The pressure plug has been screwed down to where it is no longer engaged by the thread on the adjusting screw.

You can remove the lube/sizer from the bench and aluminum heating plate so that you can press down on the screw while turning it clockwise. The threads may reengage. You may have to cobble something up to prevent the plug from turning until you get the threads engaged.

When you get the pressure plug out of the sizer, cut a 1/2" long piece of 1/2" pvc pipe and drop over the screw to prevent another occurance of the plug going too deep in the resivoir.

Bret4207
08-18-2012, 08:20 AM
IIRC someone else with this issue stuck a metal rod down in the reservoir and it held the plunger enough to start.

44man
08-18-2012, 08:49 AM
IIRC someone else with this issue stuck a metal rod down in the reservoir and it held the plunger enough to start.
Yeah, even a dowel to hold the plate still.
There might be an uneven thread start so remove the screw first and try again.

C.F.Plinker
08-18-2012, 10:06 AM
If the piston is turning, it could still be engaged with the threads on the rod. There is probably not enough friction between the piston and the walls of the lube chamber to hold it still as it climbs up the screw. Try to get something between the body of the piston and the wall so that the screw will be drawn upward by the screw. Some things that come to mind are several soda straws. bamboo kitchen skewers, dowels, etc. Try softer wood or plastic items before you use metal objects such as screwdrivers as the latter could scratch or gouge the walls of the chamber. Then you will probably need to replace the O-rings on the piston. While the piston is out, check to see if the rod is threaded all the way to the bottom. If it is not threaded all the way, follow the above suggestion to put a small piece of plastic pipe in the bottom so the piston can't come off.

45-70 Chevroner
08-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Call Lyman.
C.F.Plinker and others if the rod was not fully threaded the pressure piston would not go all the way to the bottom. It could be that south.texas over torqued it and the bottom plug is turning but I'm not to sure that can happen. You might have to push the rod and plug out through the bottom and then go from there.

south.texas.dead.I
08-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I got it all worked out, if it happens again I'll probably give Lyman a call

oneokie
08-18-2012, 01:26 PM
I got it all worked out, if it happens again I'll probably give Lyman a call

So, what was the problem and how did you fix it? Knowing that could help others with the same problem.

south.texas.dead.I
08-18-2012, 02:19 PM
So, what was the problem and how did you fix it? Knowing that could help others with the same problem.

I'm not actually sure to be honest with you I set it down turned the heat off and I think the lube hardened up and gave the piston some grip and it just stopped spinning.

theperfessor
08-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-18-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't believe the Pressure nut (what I think you are calling the plunger or piston)
can become disengaged from the threads when it's bottomed out...at least it can't on the several lyman sizers I have.

What does happen when the pressure nut bottoms out, is it becomes locked on the end of the threading of the pressure screw. When that happens, the pressure nut will just spin with the pressure screw, because the lube (especially if it's warm) doesn't provide enough friction to hold the pressure nut from not spinning when the pressure screw is turned.

I'm glad removing the heat worked for you. Long ago, I had one locked up so tight, I tried everything and nothing would help...TIL...I read a thread here about another caster's same experience. It was suggested to put the sizer in the freezer. Well that worked like a champ for me...Just be sure you are turning the pressure screw in the correct direction so you don't tighten it more.
Jon