PDA

View Full Version : Anyone compare nikon vs leupold 2x pistolscopes?

Whiterabbit
08-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Might be "stuck" with a non-RDS sight on the BFR. Maybe. We'll see. But I have to consider the possibility that RDS might not be for me, meaning I would need a scope if I don't want irons.

Let's just say I don't want irons for the time being.

Noone makes an EER 1x which would be my dream scope. So, fine.

I see Leupold and Nikon both make virtually identical 2x fixies. I own a VX-II and a Monarch African and I like them both. Both claim excellent warranties. As for the useless stuff, I like looking AT the leupold more, and I like looking THROUGH the nikon more. I prefer turning the nikon dials when adjusting, I prefer the low profile of leupold caps when not adjusting.

Anyways, anyone ever mount the nikon on a handgun? lifetime warranty is great but not if it needs to go in for service every 100 rounds after getting shot loose!

But that might be a non issue if it's as tough as the Leupold anyways. I'm leaning for now towards the nikon due to the price point and the mention of preferring to look "through" a nikon compared to a VX-II (which I believe the FX-II EER's closely follow, yes?) Oh, and more eye relief too cause I have orangutan arms.

Anyone know anything about the Nikon?

subsonic
08-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I can't answer, but you might also get signed up and ask over here:

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&c=2

I know some of those folks like the Nikons.

bobthenailer
08-17-2012, 05:09 PM
I still owen or did own various Nikon 1x4 -2x8 & Leupold 2x 4x 2x8 pistol scopes as well as a few other brands
Comparing Nikon to Leupold
Leupold has a much larger field of view
Both have clear bright optics
Leupold cross hairs are thicker , and step down to a smaller size closer to the center of reticul so you could still area aim if a quick shot presented itself and easyer to see in low light condtions
Nikons are way to thin and step down to an even smaler size about mid way ok for shooting from the bench but for hunting leupolds are IMO better.
If the Leupold are to pricy try Burris the field of view is comparible to leupold and the cross hairs are thicker than nikons and step down to the smaller size simular to leupold , but leupolds still have a little thicker cross hairs . A option with the Burris is to send it back and get the heavy cross hairs installed at the factory as i did .

Whiterabbit
08-17-2012, 05:14 PM
what about the nikon 2x fixie specifically? as per OP I also have both leupolds and nikons and can directly compare the brands "in general". I just can't compare the specific models, so I pinged the community!

edit: also, the way you wrote the above implies you have used a Nikon 1-4x pistol scope. I interpreted that as comparing a 1-4x nikon RIFLE scope to Leupold's three PISTOL scopes. Am I right or did you/do you own a 1-4x Nikon pistol scope?

paul h
08-17-2012, 05:37 PM
It would be interesting to know what the actual magnifications of the scopes are, as the Leupold 2x is, as I recall, really a 1.4x.

Sorry I can't provide a comparison between the two as I've used the leupold 2x and 4x handgun scopes, but have yet to try a Nikon.

Whiterabbit
08-17-2012, 05:44 PM
The internet says the nikon is 1.75. The internet does not agree with what the leupold is, anywhere between 1.4 and 1.7.

375RUGER
08-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I have a Leupold 2X for my 44mag, I've only put a couple hundred rounds through the pistol with it on. In retrospect I would rather have a variable, zoom in and out as required. Maybe I should say I'd like to try a variable for a while to see if I like it better.
With the extra eye relief, the Nikon might be a better fit for you. I can check to see tonight how much tolerance there is to the 18" ER of my Leupold, if you like.

Want to buy a Leupold 2X?

375RUGER
08-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Checked out the Leupold this evening, 18" is about the optimum ER, and 22" is at the far end of the ER being usable. At 22 the edge just starts to shadow. Even with my long arms, and my scope out over the barrel (super blackhawk hunter) I'm usually at the optimum 18" anyway because I shoot in a Weaver stance, except on the bench.
Just thought I'd let you know.

subsonic
08-18-2012, 07:59 AM
If it was my money, I'd buy the Leupold, just because I've had pretty good luck with them and never owned a Nikon. Leupold is (was?) made in the USA, FWIW.

bobthenailer
08-18-2012, 07:50 PM
what about the nikon 2x fixie specifically? as per OP I also have both leupolds and nikons and can directly compare the brands "in general". I just can't compare the specific models, so I pinged the community!

edit: also, the way you wrote the above implies you have used a Nikon 1-4x pistol scope. I interpreted that as comparing a 1-4x nikon RIFLE scope to Leupold's three PISTOL scopes. Am I right or did you/do you own a 1-4x Nikon pistol scope?

YES i did own a 1x4 Nikon pistol scope ! but the power selector ring broke and i could not change the power setting , i sent it back to Nikon for repair and they sent me the 2x8 pistol scope in exchange as they werent repairing the 1x4 because of parts avalibilty.. after sitting in my gun safe for a several years i finally mounted it on my XP100 last year but i will be putting my Leupold 2x8 pistol scope back on for this year.
I tried to sell the silver NIB nikon for $225.00 several times on this fourm but never had any takers!

jh45gun
08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
I have had 2x and 4 x pistol scopes and as far as I am concerned 4 x is too much unless your using a rest even then I do not like it. A 1 to 4 variable so you could use 1x and 2 x would be perfect as far as I am concerned. Even a 2x can be a pain on a pistol. I did not get a shot at a large doe once with my Encore when I had the 308 barrel as I could not see her in the scope I could see her fine with my naked eye as soon as I brought the scope up I would loose her. She was in some tag alders and only a 40 yard shot finally she walked off. I got so ticked I traded the barrel off and went to a 45 Colt 410 barrel and put open fiber optic sights on it. Now for close range deer shooting I will be using my Uberti 45 Colt .

Kestrel4k
08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
I've used the Leupold 2x on pistols ranging from .177 (air) to a .454 Casull, never having any complaints about them. I think that an important distinction would be the warranty; Leupold warrantees them 'lifetime' even if you're not the original owner, you don't need any paperwork, anything. AFAIK, Nikon might require you to be the original purchaser?

I purchase virtually all my scopes used, so with Leupold at least I know I'm covered.

Best of luck,

ratboy
08-20-2012, 05:14 PM
my 460S&W mag has yet to shake the crosshairs loose in the leupold i have bolted to it. i figure that is a testament to their quality.

C Sharps
08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Leupold first, Burris second, Nikon third. I have them all on my handguns and Leupold is the best.
JMTCW
Charlie

Whiterabbit
08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
why that order? anything specific? ("leupold is the best" is not specific)

Whiterabbit
08-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Nevermind. I got confirmation from a Nikon employee they have a no nonsense warranty. Just in case. And I stumbled on a 1x Nikon pistolscope. For the record I was looking for both a Leupold and Nikon, but for my "wants" I have to take a 1x over a 2x regardless of Nik vs Leup.

Had to buy. Hopefully it won't be another matchdot experience.

If I am really lucky (or unlucky) subsonic will determine there's nothing wrong with the matchdot and it's just my eyes that can't use a red dot. Then I can fire-sell the matchdot to recoup some costs.

--------------

I appreciate everyone's input here. Regardless of final actions I read and reflect on every response. Cause the final action today might not be the final action tomorrow!

Kraschenbirn
08-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Have to admit that I've never tried a Nikon but, at one time or another, I've had Leupond M8s on about every style/caliber handgun I've owned in the past 20-30 years...High Standard .22s to SSK Contenders without a single problem. Not even certain of what kind of warranty they had 'cause I never had reason to even consider sending one back.

Bill

schreibwy
08-25-2012, 10:27 PM
I've had a Nikon on my 45-70 contender for 12 years. The round count is in the low thousands. Although a few mounts and rings , as well as grips, have failed, the scope is just fine.

44man
08-27-2012, 02:47 PM
My old Loopy is the original 4X pistol scope they made and is still going strong. But I can not hunt with it or any scope over 1X. Too dark in the AM and PM. I wiggle so much they are useless too.
I have a variable Burris and as you turn up the power, the picture gets smaller and smaller and darker and darker until you look through a pinhole.
I love open sights but my eyes are shot so I went to the Ultra Dot straight 4 minute.
I love the Loopy that is very old and it has withstood the .475 and .500 JRH. but I can't hunt with it.

Whiterabbit
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
I have a variable Burris and as you turn up the power, the picture gets smaller and smaller and darker and darker until you look through a pinhole.

Yep, that's what I was seeing through my nikon riflescope when I was shooting the X ring out of my target at 50 yards with my BFR. Tunnel vision when using a 1X scope with 4 inches of eye relief at 24 inches!

I found a 1x20 EER buckmaster on gunbroker. I didn't know they existed. So that is definitely going head-to-head with the matchdot to see what happens.