PDA

View Full Version : boss system

wgr
08-17-2012, 01:36 AM
guys i have a mod. 70 Winchester with the boss system on it. any of you ever shoot a rifle with it on it. ill be shooting cast and thinking about just taking it off.its the one that has the holes in it so its loud also. any opinions on this

mpbarry1
08-17-2012, 02:01 AM
They make a solid one. However, my buddy and I have tried it and it doesnt shoot as well as the compensator. It is loud as hell unless you are directly behind the gun shooting. I would just try shooting with it with your cast. I have admitted not shot cast with mine. It is mounted on a BAR in 243. It shoots really really really well. Ive had just over half inch groups with factory remington loads.

Johnch
08-17-2012, 09:23 AM
I have a BOSS on my Win 30-06
It has not been a problem getting cast loads to shoot well with it

It is not my normal cast Boolit rifle
But it is still used with them

John

Moonie
08-17-2012, 12:59 PM
I had one on a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm Remington Magnum, shot very well. Never shot cast in it however.

Harry O
08-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I got a 30-06 BAR with the BOSS system shortly after they came out. I did some experimenting with it and found that it did what it claimed. Shooting it without the BOSS may or may not work well. It is basically no different than an ordinary barrel without the BOSS. If it works well without it, great. If not, you can change the size of the grouping with the BOSS. After experimenting, I am getting less than 1MOA with an autoloading rifle at 100 and 200 yards.

If any of you have tried the "T" target system of finding a rifles "sweet spot", the BOSS is very similar. Instead of stopping the load at where the "T" target says to stop, you change the barrel to match whatever load you have. What I found is as follows:

The bullet weight makes the greatest difference in the BOSS setting. The weight given on the Browning site is a great place to start, but it is usually not the place to end. Bullets with the same weight, but a different profile (such as a 150gr .308" spitzer and a 150gr RN) will be slightly different, but not by very much.

After setting the recommended BOSS setting, I shoot a 3 shot group. Then I moved the BOSS one mark up (there are 100 marks on the BOSS) and shot another group. Then repeated it with the next larger mark. When the group size goes up significantly (say 15% to 20%), stop. If you have one with an obvious flyer, throw out the group and shoot it over. Then start at the original setting and work down, one mark at a time. When the group gets significantly larger stop. The place to set the BOSS is halfway between the high and low mark. WRITE THAT SETTING DOWN somewhere so you can duplicate it at will.

I found that the "sweet spot" was wider at 100 yards than at 200 yards. I suggest using the longest distance at your range to find the sweet spot. If you want to sight it in for a shorter difference, do so after finding the sweet spot. Adjust the scope, not the BOSS for that.

The outside temperature does not change the sweet spot enough to bother with (from experimenting at 28F and 95F). You MUST change the BOSS setting with different bullet weights, but once you find the sweet spot for each weight, you can change the BOSS back and forth without having to go through the testing again.

Small changes in velocity (such as under 100fps) have very little effect on the sweet spot. Larger changes in velocity will affect the setting more and should be checked (particularly 200fps or more). Note that the sweet spot won't change much with small velocity changes, but the point of impact may. Always check the sight in whenever the load is changed. Remember that the BOSS sweet spot and the location of the group (from the scope adjustment) are two different things.

The BOSS is very loud, but I have hearing protection now (fat lot of good it does me, since I have had to have hearing aids since before I bought this gun). I have not tried one that is solid. I think they are well worth the money.

wgr
08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
then if i was going to shoot just one boolit its not going to help alot. i could just work up a load without it and get away from the noise.

375RUGER
08-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Not with cast boolits, but I recently set one up for a friends 22-250. My only experience with it.
I basically did what Harry O described. Started with the recommended setting, went up, went down and the sweet spot was half way inbetween.
I set his up with the factory ammo that he wanted to shoot, the cheapest remington stuff on the shelf. I'm sure with proper handloads or premium factory fodder it would have shot under the .75" that I ended up with. I did runout on the ammo he gave me and it was up to .009" runout, which I'm sure had something to do with it.
The only thing I would add to what's been said before is watch the index ring. It is loose, turns freely, so when making adjustments keep your fingers away from the index ring or you will lose your place.
I usually wear earplugs under earmuffs. when I shot the BOSS 22-250, it wasn't as loud as I expected it to be and I only had earplugs in, but then it was a 22.
One thing I did like about it was watching the shot hit the target.

Bent Ramrod
08-20-2012, 07:15 PM
I had a Model 70 in .270 with the BOSS system and it performed as advertised. Mine had the holes, so it traded noise (a lot) for recoil reduction (scarcely needed in a .270).

It was marketed to the guy who never reloaded and bought different brands of ammo because it was on sale or out of curiosity or whatever. He then could adjust the BOSS for optimum accuracy for that brand and lot. Being a reloader, who tailored the loads to the gun, I was obviously not the demographic the gun was meant for, and I eventually tired of the earsplitting noise it made and sold it.

It shot fine with cast boolits; there was a sort of gray smoke deposit on the outside of the BOSS around the holes but it wiped off easily with Hoppe's and did not seem to damage the boolits or degrade their accuracy.

TheDoctor
08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Have a Win 70 in 7MM Mag with the BOSS. When you make your cheat sheet for the different settings, don't lose it! Mine disappeared. Wife swears she had nothing to do with it. Lost about 2 years worth of notations for over a dozen different bullets. So, I just set it for one load, and that's that. If I want something else, I grab a different gun. Cool idea, works very well. EXTREMELY loud if you have the ported one on, though if you are doing an extended shooting session, it does reduce recoil a bit. However, the barrel on that one seems to take quite some time to cool off.