PDA

View Full Version : Which RCBS press?

bcr
08-17-2012, 12:46 AM
I need another press for push-through sizing with the Lee dies. My Forster doesn't accept the pin. I had my heart set on a Lee Breechlock Challenger, which looks like a dandy little press, but then I saw that it may not be compatible with some of PatMarlin's GC dies. I don't want to spend a fortune, so the next option is the RCBS Partner press. Will that press be strong/robust enough to serve as a more-or-less dedicated sizing press, or do I need something beefier?

ncbearman
08-17-2012, 12:53 AM
How about an old RCBS Jr or JrII. You can get them pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-JR2-JR-2-reloading-press-/200803945992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec0d90e08#ht_500wt_1182

Ola
08-17-2012, 02:14 AM
RCBS Partner is very good little press and it has served me well. I bought it used and have done everything with it: reloading, bullet sizing etc.

Recently it has been sitting on the shelf because I got RCBS RockChukker. The only difference is that the bigger one is way more solid and has more power. Partner is strong but RC is stronger.

If the sizing duties are not exceptionally demanding the Partner is a good choice.

jimkim
08-17-2012, 02:51 AM
I'd send Pat a PM and ask him which one he suggests using.

Plinkster
08-17-2012, 05:08 AM
The lee classic cast might be another option, I'm not familiar with Pat's dies but I know BTsniper recommends them for swaging so it is beefy enough. Price might be a little better too but you couldn't go wrong with an RCBS either.

largom
08-17-2012, 06:55 AM
I have always used the RCBS Rockchuckers but my son-in-law recently bought a Lee Classic Cast press and I was truly impressed by the strength and quality of that press.

Larry

Ola
08-17-2012, 07:12 AM
I agree. Lee Classic Cast is also a good choice.

r1kk1
08-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Pat Marlin does favor the Lee CC. BT does modify the CC for swaging duties. I have read on some threads, the Reddings do very well for his GC system. All a fellow has to do is remove the primer cup assembly on the Redding and Viola! you have an ejector. If you want new, check out prices and reviews on Midway. If you don't, I really like the idea of a Jr. Press as another poster stated.

It comes down to your needs and future needs. I would not hesitate and order a Rock Dock to go with whatever you choose.

take care

r1kk1

r1kk1
08-17-2012, 10:21 AM
You also mentioned Breech lock. Lee CC, RCBS, Redding, or any press that has a removable die bushing, can use the Hornady LNL system. I do not care for the Challenger press.

Take care

r1kk1

PatMarlin
08-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Well I'm honored you cast boolit fanatics would seek out my opinion on the subject and I have a favorite so here's my canned response I send out:

Ejector Arms:
Please specify make of single stage press or Turret.

Any press will make gas checks with Checkmaker™ dies. Automatically ejecting the gas check from the female die once formed needs a slotted ram press. Our ejector arms work with most presses using two (2) different styles. Our LEE style is one, and RCBS style is another. (see operation instructions on how the ejector arm works). Many shooters make their own or modify their primer arm.

The LEE Reloader and Challenger (with slots in the ram) will work well with my LEE style ejector arm, but not without a modification:
Lee Challenger Breech Lock Press for Pat's tool
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=93142

Proven performers are: RCBS Rockchuckers, LEE Classic Cast Turret and Classic Cast Single. Lyman Orange Crusher, T-Mag. Hornady press factory primer arms with the primer cup removed. Many shooters have made up their own ejector for their model press. See the operation instructions below showing how the 2 styles of ram ejector arms work.

The finest press on the market in my opinion at any price is the LEE Classic Cast Single. Best head room and visibility for making gas checks and reloading. Adjustable leverage. Extremely solid and accurate. A lifetime purchase.

Instructions:

Here is a PDF download link for full operating instructions with pictures:
http://www.patmarlins.com/CheckMakerDiesInstructions.pdf

bcr
08-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Great, thanks everybody! I will get a Lee Classic Cast single stage. Awesome reviews on Midway! I'm sure one of my grandchildren will get a lifetime of use from it.

Most importantly, I can keep the color scheme of my reloading bench a consistent red: Lee CC, Forster Co-Ax, and Hornady LNL Progressive :-D

FergusonTO35
09-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Hey guys. I'm considering a used RCBS JR2 press. Do these use standard size dies and shell holders? Are they a good press for general reloading needs? Any known problems with them? Thanks.

1874Sharps
09-19-2012, 10:40 AM
One thing to consider is this: You can always use a heavy duty press like the RCBS Rockcrusher for lighter duty but you cannot use a lighter duty press for heavy duty work. When I buy new equipment I try to look into the future a ways and purchase stuff in light of what I may be using it for down the road as my interests expand.

09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
FergusonTO35,
Yep, they use standard dies and shell holders.

At one time, I used only a JR2 and a JR3 (never could see any difference between them). After buying a Rock Chucker, I sold the 2 to a friend, and continue to use the 3. I'm left-handed and like its centrally located handle, that allows it to be mounted on my left. (It's very awkward to use the Rock Chucker left-handed.) I can't imagine a disadvantage, unless you are caseforming and needed a bit more leverage. It's a solid cast iron press that will provide excellent service for several lifetimes.

FergusonTO35
09-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Sounds good. If I can get one of them cheap enough I'm going to donate it to a new reloader.

1hole
09-19-2012, 09:00 PM
"Hey guys. I'm considering a used RCBS JR2 press. Do these use standard size dies and shell holders? Are they a good press for general reloading needs? Any known problems with them?"

The JR2 was and remains a good press and, yes, they use common dies and shell holders. That said, they aren't great, certainly not their obsolete simple toggle lever system. That system requires a lot more arm pressure to size cases than the much more popular compond toggle system. The extra arm load gets transfered to the loading bench and that means the bench design has to take a LOT more loading than any newer press will produce. All of that can be delt with but you should take it into consideration before buying any of the older simple toggle type presses. Especially if the JR2 price approaches anything like 50% of a new Lee Classic Cast!

FergusonTO35
09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Hmm, I didn't know that. Now, does the JR3 have the compound linkage? Does the Lee Challenger I already own have it? If not, then it's not something I or my friend are going to miss.

jimkim
09-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Hmm, I didn't know that. Now, does the JR3 have the compound linkage? No

Does the Lee Challenger I already own have it? Yes If not, then it's not something I or my friend are going to miss.

If the JR was priced right I'd buy it anyway. Having a backup is never a bad idea.

1hole
09-21-2012, 07:07 PM
It's been decades since I even saw a JR2 and JR3 so don't hold me to it but I THINK they were functionally the same but one of them had an alum alloy body.

David2011
09-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Having both a JR2 and a Rock Chucker, I find little difference between them for the reloading I do. Both size my rifle cartridges easily. Pistol cartridges like the .44 Mag and .45 Colt seem to take as much or more effort as bottlenecked rifle cartridges to resize. I currently only load .223, 6.5x55 and .30-'06 rifle cartridges so take that into consideration. Most of the pistol loading I do on a single stage is for low volume shooting in the calibers I mentioned above.

David

ncbearman
09-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Great, thanks everybody! I will get a Lee Classic Cast single stage. Awesome reviews on Midway! I'm sure one of my grandchildren will get a lifetime of use from it.

Most importantly, I can keep the color scheme of my reloading bench a consistent red: Lee CC, Forster Co-Ax, and Hornady LNL Progressive :-D

Ahhh we've lost him Yoda. He has gone to the dark side. And he doesn't like green!

09-21-2012, 08:08 PM
1hole,
My JR3 and ex-JR2 are cast iron. Other than the years of manufacture -- '69 and '72 -- I couldn't see any difference.

GLL
09-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Those of you looking or a Jr2 better hurry over to eBay right away. This vintage example is back for sale again for ONLY $225.00 ! :) :)

http://www.fototime.com/63891AD6095AF2F/standard.jpg

Jerry

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-23-2012, 01:41 AM
yes, but it's vintage making it special!

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 04:05 PM
The only trouble with a good rockchucker is that there isn't any excuse in a few years to buy
another one.:-D