PDA

View Full Version : blue berries

foxhole
08-16-2012, 08:42 PM
anybody have any ideas what to make with 50lbs of frozen blue berries besides pancakes

connecticut-yankee
08-16-2012, 08:52 PM
How about Blue Berry milkshakes or blueberry pie??

montana_charlie
08-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Jelly
Put it up in nice little jars and give them to friends for all kinds of occasions.

CM

gbrown
08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Blueberry syrup or jelly? Crush, squeeze, collect juice, make what you want.

Balduran
08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
or throw some bueberries in with apple pie or rhubarb pie or, or, or,
or waffles
muffins
a sauce for cheesecake

plmitch
08-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Muffins......lots of muffins

SciFiJim
08-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Oh man the possibilities of 50 lbs of blueberries.

Ice cream (flavored or topping)

Beverages (alcoholic and non)

milk shakes

straight chilled blueberry juice for drinking

all varieties of baked goods (bread, cakes, pan cakes, muffins, pastries, pies, etc.) as well as filling for cakes and pastries

jams and jellies

thawed and then dried like raisins (could also be pureed and dried into fruit leather)

SciFiJim
08-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Woops! double post!

foxhole
08-17-2012, 08:52 AM
gonna have to try the muffins the syrup the pie and the fruit leather

Wayne Smith
08-17-2012, 09:00 AM
If you do the fruit leather save the juice and make wine. Blueberry wine is very good.

foxhole
08-17-2012, 09:22 AM
great stuff here,thanks,think ill try makn some raisons to

smoked turkey
08-17-2012, 09:29 AM
They make a great smoothie when mixed with other fruit and a little milk. We mix them up in a thing called the magic bullet.

Moonie
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I made blueberry mead last year with some, its about ready now.

Dark Helmet
08-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Blueberry surprise (kinda like cobbler) pint of blueberries or other fruit, can of crushed pineapple in a greased baking dish, cover with a box of cheap cake mix (dry), melt a half stick or so of butter and drizzle over it. Bake at 350 until brown and bubbly.

Roosters
08-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Here you go 30 recipes !! Have at it. Let me know how they did. . . .
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/convenience-cooking/frozen-food-recipes/frozen-fruit/frozen-blueberries/
:drinks:

hoosierlogger
08-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Blueberry wine.

flounderman
08-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I just used up about 50 lbs of frozen blueberries. I cooked them down, put sugar and corn startch and some apple juice in them. I use them over the dutch baby somebody had a recipe on here for. I probably have 50lbs I picked this year, frozen. I had some figs the other day and picked about an equal amount of berries and cooked them down and they came out good. You can throw the cooked down berries in a glass of milk and that works good, make pie filling from them. I haven't made wine for several years but blueberries make good wine. cooking them down with a little apple juice and sugar and freezing them you can use them a lot of different ways

Roosters
08-19-2012, 08:10 AM
One of the 30 recipes incase you haven't looked . :p
Blueberry Liquor

Ingredients
1 (12 ounce) package frozen blueberries, thawed
1/2 lemon, zested
3 whole cloves
1 1/2 cups vodka
3/4 cup simple syrup

Directions
1- Mash thawed blueberries with a fork in a bowl, then place into a 1-quart canning jar. Add the lemon zest, cloves, and vodka.
2- Seal the jar tightly with its lid and place in a cool, dark place. Allow the vodka to stand for 3 months, shaking the jar gently every few days.
3- After 3 months, strain out the blueberries, and filter the vodka through cheesecloth into another 1-quart jar. Pour in the simple syrup, seal the jar tightly with its lid, and shake until the syrup has dissolved.
4- Again place into a cool, dark place, and age for at least a month. When ready to bottle, filter again through cheesecloth, then pour into a decorative bottle of your choice.

375RUGER
08-19-2012, 08:18 AM

it takes that long? or you just wanted it to age real well?

Gliden07
08-19-2012, 03:22 PM

Could you post recipe for that? I make beer once in a while and thought about making Honey Mead but never did Blueberry Mead sounds interesting!!

Gliden07
08-19-2012, 03:24 PM
One of the 30 recipes incase you haven't looked . :p
Blueberry Liquor

Ingredients
1 (12 ounce) package frozen blueberries, thawed
1/2 lemon, zested
3 whole cloves
1 1/2 cups vodka
3/4 cup simple syrup

Directions
1- Mash thawed blueberries with a fork in a bowl, then place into a 1-quart canning jar. Add the lemon zest, cloves, and vodka.
2- Seal the jar tightly with its lid and place in a cool, dark place. Allow the vodka to stand for 3 months, shaking the jar gently every few days.
3- After 3 months, strain out the blueberries, and filter the vodka through cheesecloth into another 1-quart jar. Pour in the simple syrup, seal the jar tightly with its lid, and shake until the syrup has dissolved.
4- Again place into a cool, dark place, and age for at least a month. When ready to bottle, filter again through cheesecloth, then pour into a decorative bottle of your choice.

If you wanted more of a kick you could use PGA (Pure Grain Alcahol)!!

Moonie
08-20-2012, 10:17 AM
it takes that long? or you just wanted it to age real well?

It doesn't take that long to make something ready to drink, it takes that long for it to be good. When fermentation finishes there are lots of higher order alcohols which give the beverage a "hot" taste to it (think of drinking rocket fuel). These higher order alcohols convert to lower order alcohols over time mellowing the alcohol taste and allow the natural sweetness of the mead to come back to the front.

The time it takes to make good mead is the reason I started brewing beer, something to drink in between the mead batches.

Jeffrey
08-25-2012, 08:29 AM
If you wanted more of a kick you could use PGA (Pure Grain Alcahol)!!

If you do use PGA filter it through a water filter that has a charcoal element. I use a brita. 5 passes through the filter makes a world of difference in flavor and aroma.

DLCTEX
08-25-2012, 02:02 PM
We make blueberry ice cream and use them in pancakes, mixed fruit dish, muffins, jam, etc. or just eat them partially thawed for a fruit snack.