PDA

View Full Version : Lead

nsdread07
08-16-2012, 04:24 PM
So today I went to the scrap yard that had quoted me .35 a lb for lead. Todays price was .50 but they didn't have any. The next scrap yard quoted .75 a lb. I've found linotype 25 lbs for $50.00. I've tried the tire shops but they're all sending their WW back or already have someone who they give them to. I'm wondering is it worth my while to buy from someone like rotometals or should I be happy to pay .75 a lb? I'm casting 240 gr 44 mag bullets, how many to a pound of lead?

jabo52521
08-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Great prices at your end. Too bad the stock is low. We have the opposit here. Plenty of lead but the best price is $1.00 a pound. Gonna load up a friends 44spl. Will see how many boolits a pound makes. Let you know.

atom73
08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
It all depends on your area. There are lots if posts here about where and how to find lead. The simplest and easiest is to start buy buying some ingots from members here in the swapping and selling section. While you are casting with that you can take your time finding free or cheap scrap lead. I've never had luck at a scrapyard but have had good luck at rural tire shops. Try stopping by tire shops in rural places on road trips etc, farther you get from a city better luck you'll have. Chains are harder to get lead from than mom and pop shops. Can't help you with the conversion, buy some here in the section, cast with it and you can tell us. Welcome. :)

clintsfolly
08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
29.1 per lbs Clint

10 ga
08-16-2012, 09:22 PM
$.75# and 29 per is $.026+- @. = 2.6cent@ That's pretty cheap bullets for just the materials. 10 ga

canyon-ghost
08-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Buy all you can at .75 a pound. That's a decent price!

bld451
08-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Divide 7000 by the un-lubed boolit weight (say 240) and voila! # boolits/pound.

SlowSmokeN
08-19-2012, 02:19 PM
A few months ago our scrap yard was selling lead for .65 a pound. Went on Thursday and now they are at $1 a pound. Ask why price went up when the price of lead has gone down. I was told he was the only pony in town.

Still trying to figure out where he is getting it from, but worst case if I ever need any I can get it for a buck a pound. He did pay $1.71 for the brass/copper jackets from the smelted range lead.

evan price
08-20-2012, 04:30 AM
The lead market went stupid about a week or two ago. Seems that all the crazy spree killings coupled with the possibility that Obama might get re-elected (and another run on the weapons bans) has gotten people to start hoarding a little early.

Went to my lead source Wednesday and sorted and set aside a pallet of lead, mostly telephone cable sheath the yard guys have been stripping off. Went back to pick it up the next day with my truck and suddenly they were not selling any lead at all. Went to talk to the yard manager and he allowed that I could buy what I'd set aside the day before, but they had suddenly started getting 2-4 calls a day from people wanting lead, and they thought there was an issue and were considering raising the price and had put lead sales on hold.

So, I went back to my pallet and added on to it any scrap of lead I could find and identify. Price has already gone up twelve cents in the past 4 weeks and another increase would suck...A good idea, because once I moved aside a layer of wheel weights (that I don't buy anymore) there was a handful of nice 50-50 solder bars in the bottom of the tub.