PDA

View Full Version : CCTV for spotting scope

gsdelong
08-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Anybody here using a close circuit tv camera as a spotting scope for a home range?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
no but i was just talking with a co worker about a camera that was wireless and could talk to a smart phone so you could have it very portable

i have thought about it a few times , with the cost of cameras down to less than a pair of good binoculars

but i purchased some good binoculars for this recently so that i could spot for my Juniors shooting silhouettes better, and the big bonus for me was that i can look thru these binoculars without taking off my prescription shooting glasses.

i figured the binoculars were more multi purpose and my range has no electricity

also i can go from one end of the line to the other carrying my binoculars and not have to move anything down range.

john hayslip
08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
I have an outlaw (son's wife's sister's husband) who is a reloader and has made up a system. He uses a camera down range and transmits it back to the line and to a video recorder. He usually shoots at 300 yards. It only works for one target. If something like that would work for you hit me with a pm and a email address and I'll see if he'll tell his secrets. He was selling the system at one time.

gsdelong
08-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Part of my work is involved in wireless and network cameras so the ideas are churning. I wanted to know if anybody tried it and accidently shot a camera like many a Chrony.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-16-2012, 04:57 PM
i would definitely make a box for the camera and put a big sand bag on it , or set bucket of sand so that the camera was behind it

it depends what the range looks like if it was all loose sand near the berm a few scoops and you would have a nice little fox hole for your camera

Bad Water Bill
08-16-2012, 05:45 PM
A friend shoots at 1K only for ground hogs. Youngs range in Indiana.

Camera is at about 960 yards and transmits to his laptop on the shooting bench.

I have seen several pictures of his setup and what happens when a hog enters the screen. :bigsmyl2:

DCM
08-16-2012, 06:11 PM
A friend shoots at 1K only for ground hogs. Youngs range in Indiana.

Camera is at about 960 yards and transmits to his laptop on the shooting bench.

I have seen several pictures of his setup and what happens when a hog enters the screen. :bigsmyl2:

Finally some real reality TV that I would actually make time to watch! :-)

Bad Water Bill
08-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Brad is definitely into the 1K thing.

He is also into making many of the parts that go into his 1K rifles. Truly a work of art.

He will sit for days on end just waiting for one of those Hogs to make their debut on TV.

They do make a real splash when acknowledged by a .308 projectile.:bigsmyl2: