PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Pro-Jector Press

Good Cheer
08-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Got one of these in the box that I've never used... I've just always used a single stage press that I bought second hand about 1975 and never changed. Have any yall ever used a "Pro-Jector"? What did you think about it?

Fishman
08-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I have one and like it. the powder actuator isn't very good, and I plan to upgrade mine to the new style as it is case-actuated vs. ram-actuated. I've had some issues with the powder measure binding and it seems to need graphite lubed fairly frequently. That may be a powder issue however.

Hornady no longer makes parts specific to the Pro-jector progressive, although some parts from the later lock n load series can be used, such as shellplates. The biggest issue is the lack of primer tubes, as they are brass and can wear out.

I've loaded quite a bit of good ammo on mine but I haven't used any other progressive press so a comparison isn't possible. For handgun rounds though, it is much, much faster than a single stage. You do have to stay on your toes though.

It is a very stout and well-made machine.

Hardcast416taylor
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
My Pro-Jector is now a basic function press since I have either wore out or just took off the extras on it. I batch prime off press and like doing it that way. I manual operate the powder drop and am very satisfied doing it that way. I took the case kicker off the press and threw it as far away from the press that I could throw it! I load cases rangeing in size from .32 acp to .375 H&H as well as my .416 Taylor and many others in between.Robert

rda72927
08-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I have used one for a while. Never did like or trust the primer feed. It was missing the large primer ram and cup. I also batch prime everything and I have the newer case-actuated power drop with a RCBS Uniflow. It has always worked great and have loaded many 1000's of 223, 9MM and 40 S&W.

500Smith
08-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I’ve loaded thousands of 38, 44, 45, 50AE & 22 Hornet with mine. Well-built solid press. I drop the powder manually, the auto setup I didn’t like. The primer feed can be a little finicky but overall I’ve been happy with it. Having the extra station is great to get a nice crimp after seating.
Jay

TCFAN
08-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I have two of the pro-jectors on my bench. One is set for small primers and the other is for large.Both have the case activated powder measure. I can not find any fault with either one. Been using them for at least 20 years or so.............Terry

blikseme300
08-18-2012, 03:26 AM
I own and use 2 of these but not as they were originally intended. I call it semi-progressive as I prime by hand. The first press is used to de-prime and case form for my 300BLK and the other is used for loading 6.5mm Swede, 223Rem and 300BLK.

These presses are beefy and have the advantage that more than one step can be done without switching tooling. I do only one round at a time to ensure safety.

The priming system is too error prone so priming off-press is recommended.

I use a Lee Auto-disk powder measure to dispense the charges needed. Accuracy is quite good if using powder that meters well. I use Varget, Lil Gun, H335, BLC(2) with great success. YMMV

Bliksem

km101
08-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I have one that I have loaded 1,000 s of rounds of handgun calibers on. I dont like the primer setup, so I prime off the press. Works fine for me. I like it better than my old Dillon because of the auto-index.

Doe anyone make a powder checker that will fit the Pro-jector? That's the only thing I would change about it.

Wal'
08-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Same story with mine, twenty + years & still chugging on, no idea how many pistol & rifle rounds loaded.

The only problem was the case kicker [replaced] bent up & useless through catching on the base of the loading dies.

Strong & reliable, would buy another tomorrow.

BD
08-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Projectors were not perfect. However, with a few modifications they can be very reliable. Most of the parts that wear out can be made from hardware store bits and pieces. I have one on my bench set up for .45 acp that has produced over 110,000 rounds and is still going strong. Search "Projector modifications" to find what it takes to make them run. if your's has the small primer tube, and all the other parts, I'd like to talk to you about buying it.
BD

Good Cheer
08-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Pulled it out and ran copies of the parts list and exploded parts diagram. Going to audit the box contents.

tddeangelo
03-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I found a Pro Jector with small and large primer setups, and three shell plates, for $200..... good buy?

Hardcast416taylor
03-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I found a Pro Jector with small and large primer setups, and three shell plates, for $200..... good buy?

I would be a lot more comfortable with this if the asking price was about $50 less. I understand that shell plates for this series of press are no longer made so you have to search for them.Robert

MarkP
03-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Check the indexing of the shell plate, they index on the upward (1/10th rev) and downward (1/10th rev) of the ram stroke; if someone messed with the pawls it is nearly impossible to set them yourself.

These loaders had a lifetime warranty.

The new plates fit and function on the Projector presses.... the new plates have a radial lead-in / lead-out where the original Pro-7 / Projector plate had sharp points.

cheese1566
03-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Manuals are still around and adjusting the pawls isn't impossible if your patient and have some mechanical skill. Shellplates are around and the EzJect shellplates will work
big downfall is the lack of replacement parts...especially the primer parts and tubes...making lifetime warranty questionable.