PDA

View Full Version : Round Count Before Leading Problems?

harv6
08-16-2012, 09:11 AM
At what round count do you get to without degraded accuracy before you consider a combination acceptable? I've fired a dozen rounds of a new load through my 41mag Blackhawk. Accuracy was great and velocity over my chronograph was where I wanna be. I have no leading with it. So I loaded up another two dozen to see if the accuracy I'm getting will diminish after at those. I Just plan on doubling the amount of rounds each time till I get to 100. Since I don't think I'll ever shoot 100 rounds of 41 mag in a single session, getting to 100 and not seeing a drop in accuracy sounds acceptable for me in this combo for 41 mag. Whats you're number? Where do you draw the line in terms of, how many rounds you can shoot before leading ruins accuracy and you head back to the bench to tweak the combo? I'm sure its different for other cartridges to as in...I can shoot 500 38spcl in a day, but on only about a dozen in my 480 Ruger.

44man
08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
At what round count do you get to without degraded accuracy before you consider a combination acceptable? I've fired a dozen rounds of a new load through my 41mag Blackhawk. Accuracy was great and velocity over my chronograph was where I wanna be. I have no leading with it. So I loaded up another two dozen to see if the accuracy I'm getting will diminish after at those. I Just plan on doubling the amount of rounds each time till I get to 100. Since I don't think I'll ever shoot 100 rounds of 41 mag in a single session, getting to 100 and not seeing a drop in accuracy sounds acceptable for me in this combo for 41 mag. Whats you're number? Where do you draw the line in terms of, how many rounds you can shoot before leading ruins accuracy and you head back to the bench to tweak the combo? I'm sure its different for other cartridges to as in...I can shoot 500 38spcl in a day, but on only about a dozen in my 480 Ruger.
No number. If fouling and any lead is shot out with each shot, you can go years.
It depends on what you shoot. If you get leading, alter something. Lube, alloy or powder.
The truth is that shooting lead can keep a bore in better shape then copper buildup from jacketed. Lead is easier to prevent it from sticking.
I shot my JRH so much that the cylinder hole and pin needed cleaned and lubed. I never touched the bore.

rockrat
08-16-2012, 09:31 AM
I figure if its leading, the load is not correct for the boolit/alloy, so its back to the drawing board. Now, if I get an ever so slight leading, maybe in my 357's and it doesn't get worse and accuracy is good and stays that way, I might let it go.

captaint
08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
I generally shoot at least 100 rounds of whatever I take to the range - save the full power 44's. So, if after that hundred rounds I see leading, I'm looking for something to fix. When we get leading, it will show up in less than 20 rounds often. I'm talking about the accuracy wrecking leading now. You'll see the groups go downhill on the way to that 100 rounds. You don't really have to look in the barrel to know it's there. enjoy Mike

Char-Gar
08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
I am one of those loonies who clean their guns every time they are shot, so I don't know how long I can go without cleaning. I would expect I could go thousands of rounds, with good loads, if I gave up cleaning, which I am not going to do.

mpmarty
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't get leading in any of my rifles and none in my 45acp either. I do get some stringy stuff with max loads in my 10mm but don't shoot max loads any longer so it stays clean also.

runfiverun
08-16-2012, 09:41 PM
leadin will or won't occur.
i have a couple of leverguns going on 10 years and one that hasn't been cleaned since 95-96.
if i get leading i find the problem and fix it.
you can have poor accuracy and not have leading,and you can have leading without losing accuracy.
one is usually fixed by changing the load or case issues,and the other fixed by alloy/or mechanical repairs

Bad Water Bill
08-16-2012, 09:53 PM
To add some fun here, How long has it been since you cleaned your 22 LR?

The mfgrs figured out the right combinations YEARS ago.

If you put all of your ingredients in right leading will be a non issue. If after that you find lead you know you did something wrong and check in for more help.

fredj338
08-17-2012, 02:00 AM
I routinely shoot 500-600rds before cleaning my 45acps. Fo rmagnums, close to that. I usually only clean because fo carbon/bullet lube gunk, not leading.

44man
08-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Comes down to rust, etc. So many NEED to clean a gun. You just have to protect your guns.
I keep my basement dry, rarely exceeds 41% humidity and 64*, the wife hangs clothes down here. That means carbon buildup is when I need to clean something.
I even pre cut wood for furniture from rough sawn lumber and stack it down here a month or longer before making anything. Gun stock wood also.
Needing to shoot a lot between cleanings still comes down to keeping lead buildup down. I admit it might not be easy to find the right combination for your gun but it can be done.
Cast boolits are amazing little things. I can't think of shooting anything else.

mdi
08-17-2012, 12:02 PM
I just started reloading for a new 9mm. I loaded some store-bought lead bullets and ran 20 through my pistola. 2 1/2"-3" average at 15 yards it good to me but when I got the barrel out for cleaning I noticed leading. Will not consider that load again, 20 rounds is the limit for that load!

gvbsat
08-17-2012, 12:10 PM
The most I have shot in one day with one pistol was almost 500 rounds. G19 factory barrel. No leading. I am in the habit of cleaning after shooting every time. But I imagine if I am not getting any leading at 500 count, prob wouldnt lead at 1000 count either.