PDA

View Full Version : Ticked off

Frank46
08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Today in our local newpaper the Daily Iberian there was an article in the editorial section entitled "Describe Patriotism" I'm going to quote the exact words that have me so bent out of shape.

Who was more patriotic, the New Iberia National Guard who spent many hours during the numerous hurricanes that hit this area, assisting the citizens of Iberia Parish or the U.S. Navy personnel sitting on their rear ends on a ship off Vietnam collecting hazardous duty pay?.

I can assure you that while I served my country on an aircraft carrier USS Franklin D Roosevelt CVA 42 standing watches and working between watches that I never sat on my rear end collecting hazardous duty pay. A regular day could be 18 hours long depending on what watch you had. High temps in the engine room, pump room and generator room plus all the noise from the pumps and generators and main engines
would quite possibly have this gentleman running for the nearest hatch.
I know many of our family here served in what was the most unpopular war ever fought by this country. yet we did what we had to do.
Here is the Daily Iberian web page www.iberianet.com

Frank

Bad Water Bill
08-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Well I was in the PEACETIME NAVY. Yes there were some 8 hour days BUT I can remember a lot more 16-18 hour ones and several 72 hour days. This was on the USS Randolph. Never heard such a thing as A/C on that old lady.

Who ever wrote that story did just that . Tell me a story. Never been there but an expert. :popcorn:

missionary5155
08-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Good morning
Personally I do not make an issue of where, when or how anyone honorably served in our military farces. The issue is they served (or still serve) and were (are) willing to put thier collective hide on the line for us. That makes you and them my "Brothers in arms" and I am right proud of what you did and maybe are still doing.
Mike in ILL. Armor 71-74

WRideout
08-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Although I am a Viet Nam era vet, I never served there. I was on active duty from 1972-1975, then served in the USAR, and the Army National Guard of California, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. As a medic, I saw people killed during training exercises, and many more injured, some permanently. It is mistaken to think that the peacetime forces are safe.

The Cold War was a strange time to be in the US armed forces. We prepared for a war that never came, while training as if it were iminent. The front line troops paid a heavy toll in terms of their personal lives. As an enlisted medic, and later artillery officer, I spent many days away from my family, which cannot be recovered. Many of us, including the reserve soldiers, saw their marriages disintegrate under the strain. All of us gave our lives, a day at a time; some of us have more to give.

Wayne

Bret4207
08-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Patriotism has little to do with either party and what they were doing. Patriotism doesn't require military service any more than loving your wife means you must shower her with diamonds and jewelery. Sounds to me more like 2 old boys down at the bar got in an argument and one of them submitted an editorial.

Grandpas50AE
08-16-2012, 08:19 AM
+1 on what Bret4207 said - patriotism is a personal act, and there are many in LE, medical first responders, etc. who have sacrificed marriages and so much more to serve their fellow citizens in so many ways we often take for granted. I served in the US Army from 1971 to 1972, and notwithstanding the freaks that despised us, I served proudly and honorably. I more than appreciate and respect all those who serve or have served regardless of circumstance. Soldiers don't pick the wars, they prosecute the ones the politicians engage them in, and that takes much courage and devotion to our country and way of life.

Olevern
08-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Gee, I just read online that the enmity and hatred that we Vietnam war vets suffered on our return at the hands of "fellow citizens" never happened. Here it is thirty plus years later and vestiges still remain.

ErikO
08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Patriots are the ones who don't denegrate any vet for their service, inter-service rivalry aside.

EMC45
08-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Patriots are the ones who don't denegrate any vet for their service, inter-service rivalry aside.

I agree. If you are trash talking any particular service you better have worn the uniform. Inter service rivalries and trash talk have been going on since 1775.

Bret4207
08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I think patriotism involves a whole lot more than just not trashing a vet. I imagine the definition of patriotism and examples of it are legion and many probably contradict each other.

ErikO
08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I think patriotism involves a whole lot more than just not trashing a vet. I imagine the definition of patriotism and examples of it are legion and many probably contradict each other.

True, but the term precludes doing it for sure.

fatnhappy
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Like John Kerry?
Sad to say but I don't necessarily hold status as a veteran to necessarily qualify someone as a patriot, nor do I discount it.
Nor do I consider the lack of aforementioned status as a disqualifier in any sense.

If asked I'm not certain how I would define a patriot.
I will say this though: IME self serving narcissists prefer to cloak themselves in the mantles of patriotism or religion.

YMMV

TCLouis
08-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Just my $0.02 worth, but being there is what it is all about, and being in a position to be sent even closer to "Where it's at".

No matter the branch or the location of the assignment, one is always subject to the ultimate sacrifice.

GP100man
08-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Some people "think they know" & to us that "do know" when they talk write or try to communicate it removes all doubt !!

Frank46
08-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Well the part of USN Sailors sitting on their rear ends on a ship off vietnam collecting hazardous duty pay just sent me off. I just finished a rebuttle and did pretty good if I may say so. It's high time this naming us babykillers and whatnot has to stop. Here it is over 40 years ago and this **** is still going on. somefolks got nuthing better to do with their time. You would not see 1/10 of this if the protestors had to live and work under conditionds. Heck we had officers who would never go into an engineering space, especially a lit off engineroom. Thanks for the support. Frank

Bad Water Bill
08-17-2012, 12:45 AM
And how many civilian folks that called vets baby killers would dare to step on a pitching flight deck in the middle of the night during a storm with winds over 35 MPH. .

The most dangerous 5 acres in the world and those folks do it day and night all year long. The pilots and planes MUST get back on the deck.

Not saying that is the only danger the military face every day they serve.

wgr
08-17-2012, 01:32 AM
And how many civilian folks that called vets baby killers would dare to step on a pitching flight deck in the middle of the night during a storm with winds over 35 MPH. .

The most dangerous 5 acres in the world and those folks do it day and night all year long. The pilots and planes MUST get back on the deck.

Not saying that is the only danger the military face every day they serve.

a lot more dangers than what i did . i just jumped out of them. the deck crews and navy flyers have my respect.