PDA

View Full Version : Any Body have any Idea's of what you would like me to make ????

ClassicCannons
08-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Hay You All
Do any of you have any thoughts on what you would like me to make Before i become a Vendor Sponsor Such ad hammer molds trimmers size rs and such Molds are pretty much taken up and I really don't want to tread on other people venue so I'd thought I'd ask first.

The reason why i ask is because i have a knack for ideas and such I have been doing it for the past 30-35 years and i had/have some good ideas. So let me know by PM me or email me at Austin@ScaleArtillery.com

Also check out my photo album for some of the Jigs i had made in the past

Thanks Austin M gilson

How do i add a Poll

Also check out my Auction in the Donation area for a Pair of 1/6 Scale Mtn Howitzers :-P

Also After a week the item/items with the most votes i'll post a prototype sample of the item

338RemUltraMag
08-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Sizers and top punches for lyman sizers... I would love to test a .402 sizer

H.Callahan
08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Expanding dies with interchangeable expanding plugs that are available in plethora of sizes and lengths (and not just common ones).

...and I would by a relatively inexpensive lead hammer mold.

Moonie
08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Or just inserts for the Lee powder through expander dies that work more like M dies.

Even expander plugs for their universal expander that would also work like M dies.

ClassicCannons
08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
How would an expanding die the had a range from let's say .475 - .525 in retrospect for the calibers at the expanding point of the base of the boolit to the case its self. With the flaring point at the mouth of the case to the desired depth adjustable for the depth with increments of lets say 0 - .200 also in retrospect to caliber. I have the design methode figured out now but i'd like do do some research first. Because its a great idea if its the same as you all want and it would fit into the lee die's. How ever the powder thru one will need to be diffrent some what.

As far as the mold i had the idea for a while well since i was a kid and i lost my dads mold and i had to make one i will have to wait until i pay the membership to say the price but it will be Cheap.

Thanks For looking Austin

badgeredd
08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
....... Molds are pretty much taken up and I really don't want to tread on other people venue ...

One thing to remember as far as molds go, there is always room for one more maker.

Yes, we have some very good vendors whose quality is top notch. One type of mold maker we are missing in general, is someone who'll make a one off mold at a fair price. Accurate Molds is a source and his prices are fair to the buyers, IMHO, there is always room for a good vendor in any category.

The M-die inserts of various custom sizes would be an excellent item. A universal expander within a size range would be handy too. I imagine a fellow could find someone currently active on the forum to make most any accessory, but like I said, there's always room for another vendor.

Edd

ClassicCannons
08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Mainly i only make mold for my cannon & Mortars like the one below and check out my website the one below is a inch mold that i was going to use the layman or lee handles on when i got one I can't say a price here yet because i'll be paying to be a vender soon when i get the funds to do so but they are cheaper than the ones that were posted here. And i had lapped this one and polished it came out weill i think

As far as the M Dies i have a really good idea but it will take a bit to get one made because i'd like to approach Lee ot Layman with the idea to sell maybe but on the hammers I'll have one made up tonight for display untill i pay the sponsorship vender fee which is pretty resonable Thanks Again Austin

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/264789_3653558062924_1905766009_n.jpg

One thing to remember as far as molds go, there is always room for one more maker.

Yes, we have some very good vendors whose quality is top notch. One type of mold maker we are missing in general, is someone who'll make a one off mold at a fair price. Accurate Molds is a source and his prices are fair to the buyers, IMHO, there is always room for a good vendor in any category.

The M-die inserts of various custom sizes would be an excellent item. A universal expander within a size range would be handy too. I imagine a fellow could find someone currently active on the forum to make most any accessory, but like I said, there's always room for another vendor.

Edd

Wayne Smith
08-18-2012, 02:06 PM
I assume you do CNC machining and not much one off. If this is not true please clarify. Most of what I need except molds are basically one off work. Half jacket swage dies, different nose punches for the above, repairs to things, etc. is most of what I need. That is why I rely on Rick (Buckshot) for this work. His turn around time is rapid and prices are reasonable.

Do you have plans to make mounts for your 1/6 cannons?

ClassicCannons
08-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Hello
Yes i have a cnc lathe. And a Bridgeport Mill I like doing one of a kind parts is what i do its really easy to do a program that has tapers and radius and set dia on the program wizard maybe 10-15 minutes.

But i really don't want to do what other people are doing here but to do machining that's not done by others

I really don't want to intrude on other peoples line of work here because this forum is a friendly one.

I'll take on jobs that no one else wants All i need is a drawing of what you need. By using the cnc programs its easier to get the desired results one want within a tight tolerance. I don't know if this is what you meant but one of a kind parts are OK

Thanks For your interest Austin

I assume you do CNC machining and not much one off. If this is not true please clarify. Most of what I need except molds are basically one off work. Half jacket swage dies, different nose punches for the above, repairs to things, etc. is most of what I need. That is why I rely on Rick (Buckshot) for this work. His turn around time is rapid and prices are reasonable.

Do you have plans to make mounts for your 1/6 cannons?

MikeS
08-19-2012, 01:38 PM
As far as approaching Lyman or Lee, I would say forget it. Most companies will reject ideas that DNOH (Did Not Originate Here). I too think making replacement expanders for the Lee powder thru expanding dies that would have the shape of the M die expanders would be a really good thing. I've been thinking of getting one of Lee's autodisk powder measures, but don't like the expander in their die sets, and I think you need to use the Lee expander die to use their powder measure, so having an expander that functions like the M die would be really nice. But keep it to yourself (sell it direct to customers), neither Lyman or Lee are going to be interested in it.

popper
08-20-2012, 09:46 AM
I recommend you stay away from the big boys, as MikeS says. You may want to check into any patents on the stuff you want to make, so you don't pay any royalties or legal fees. You don't have to avoid making something patented (even design patents), just have good documentation and make a slight change and reason for change. If doing one-offs from someone's drawings, add a disclaimer that you are just doing their machine work - reduce your liability. Looks like most here want sizers and expanders.

Wayne Smith
08-22-2012, 01:10 PM
I read my own post and see that I posed my question very poorly. I do woodwork as a hobby. When I asked if you had "plans to make" mounts for the 1/6 cannon I meant do you know where I would find such plans to make them myself, not would you make them.

Love Life
08-22-2012, 02:04 PM
I would like to see a cutter for the lyman case trimmer like the trim-pro 3 way cutter RCBS makes.

ClassicCannons
08-23-2012, 02:41 AM
Hi Their
AOP has a wide selection of cannons from the civil war and they are resonalley price to Thanks AMG

I read my own post and see that I posed my question very poorly. I do woodwork as a hobby. When I asked if you had "plans to make" mounts for the 1/6 cannon I meant do you know where I would find such plans to make them myself, not would you make them.

0verkill
08-29-2012, 03:38 AM
I think the best idea so far is the M-type replacement for LEE dies. Keep the "powder through expander function" but makethem expand the whole neck likethe M-dies, not just flarethe neck. Offer them in a wide variety of diameters and custom sizes cheap.

Someone that specializes in small run or one off oddball moulds would be nice too.

Bigslug
08-29-2012, 10:06 PM
My suggestion would be to look at the history of mold group buys, and watch the "where can I get a ______?" threads for recurring themes, then produce those. There are a lot of good molds from antiquity for which the original makers are either defunct or have discontinued due to reasons unknown.

ClassicCannons
09-01-2012, 01:21 PM
I t looks like sizers won so i'm going to work on the adjustable sizer and make a set of screw on ones that range from .440 .450 in increments of .002 Thanks AMG