PDA

View Full Version : Tru-Line Junior

Guesser
08-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Is there any way to place the age of a Tru-Line Junior press? Casting symbols, stamps or anything that will establish age?

44Vaquero
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Guesser, what type of linkage does the unit in question have? Compound or single? The compound units were produced 56 and later.

Guesser
08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I'll go look. When was the TLJr. introduced and when was production dropped?

44Vaquero
08-16-2012, 10:46 AM
As far as I can tell it was introduced shortly after the war and production ended in the very early 60's. It was replaced by the All American series that was capable of using 7/8x14 dies.
Pressman or one of the antique collectors may be able supply actual dates.

I wonder if anyone at Lyman would know, it might be worth giving them a call?

Guesser
08-16-2012, 10:51 AM
I looked again; this one has the compound linkage. Good looking press, clean, no rust, and complete ready to load 38/357.
I was around an All American turret press in 1956 when I was first introduced to casting & hand loading.

44Vaquero
08-16-2012, 11:12 AM
The mid to late 50's was a transitional time for reloading lots of new ideas and equipment. That's one of the reasons I like my Tru-line Jr., you can see many of the modern ideas are there but not quite perfected yet!

Mine is currently set up to reload .45 ACP and .45 Cowboy Special for my converted 1858 Remington. I find it oddly very relaxing to reload with Jr.

Guesser
08-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Maybe I'll keep this one and set it up for 38 Special and just enjoy it. Thanks.

44Vaquero
08-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I sent Lyman an e-mail asking for production dates, we shall see.

Pressman
08-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Production began in 1947 and ended in the early 1970's (i think). Need to track that down.

A curious fact concerning the TL-Jr is the lack of variations. Only the linkage change with a new shellholder carrier was the only change. Compare that to the #55 powder measure introduced at the same time, it has a minimum of 14 different variations.

But, that is Lyman.

Enjoy your TL-Jr, It was my mainstay press for twenty years or so.
Ken

44Vaquero
08-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the info Pressman, I knew you would have a better handle on the time line.

Green Frog
08-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I picked up a few TL Jrs when nobody wanted them... averaged about $10-15 apiece, sometimes complete with dies! Over the years I've also stumbled on more than a few dies for them and have made a conscious effort to accumulate dies in the practical pistol calibers for which these little guys are best suited. I have one set up now as a dedicated press for 32 S&W Long, but batch prepare my cases by decapping and FL sizing with a TC die on a big press.

All that said, age of the TL Jr has never concerned me as long as they have the compound linkage. I kept one of the old simple linkage presses just for a curiosity, but it doesn't get much use.

Froggie

3006guns
08-18-2012, 02:49 PM
I have a little Tru Line and set it up for .38 special. I learned in a big hurry to full length resize on another press first as the little Lyman dies only resize about 2/3's of the case. Of course I had loaded about 100 rounds THEN found they wouldn't chamber. Lesson learned? Reload only brass fired from that gun.

44Vaquero
08-18-2012, 05:01 PM
I gave in and tracked down the guy that makes the 7/8x14 tool heads. It just arrived today, I think I will give it a try(pistol calibers only).

seagiant
08-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi,
I tried one with the 310 dies and did not like it that much. I was more impressed with the press than the dies! I think if I had another one I would get a die head like 44 got! Admittedly I was never a "turrent" type guy to begin with.

reddoggm
08-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Wish 44Vaquero could tell me where he got it Having a little problem finding someone that makes them anybody else know ?

44Vaquero
08-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Reddoggm, PM sent. It's a very nice accessory to have. 4 things to remember when using it:

1. Pistol Caliber's only!
2. Little lube even with carbide dies.
3. Adjust sizing die to zero contact with shell holder in it's top most position (cam over)
4. Tighten turret plate down, no vertical movement when withdrawing shell form sizing die.

Hope this helps.

dsol
08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
I have a Jr that was my dad's. He used it for years loading untold thousands of 38spl rounds for the local police dept. He died almost 8 years ago and I am still finding some of his stuff. This one was rebored and threaded for modern dies but I cannot find shell holders. Regular shell holders don't fit. Anyone got extra shell holders that fit or post a photo of one so I know what I am looking for? My googlefu is not working well in this case...

Wayne Smith
08-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I have a Jr that was my dad's. He used it for years loading untold thousands of 38spl rounds for the local police dept. He died almost 8 years ago and I am still finding some of his stuff. This one was rebored and threaded for modern dies but I cannot find shell holders. Regular shell holders don't fit. Anyone got extra shell holders that fit or post a photo of one so I know what I am looking for? My googlefu is not working well in this case...

Lyman "J" type shell holders. There is a Universal that will accommodate the modern "X" type as well. There are a couple of the "J" type on eBay now, and Lyman still makes some, I think.

44Vaquero
08-26-2012, 11:38 AM
WS, has it right! The Lyman part # for J to X shell bolder is 7095762. I got all my j types off e-bay. This week there was even an entire set up for auction. Have to check and see what they went for?

You could also try the 310shop, he has a few every now and then.

dsol
08-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Thank you Wayne Smith and 44Vaquero!

Now that I know exactly what I am looking for, I will go digging around looking for the original shell holders or an adapter. I know he had to have them somewhere, he used to load tons of 9mm, 38/357, 45 Colt and ACP so there has got to be a set or an adapter. I thought I had all of his reloading equipment but just found the press and a perfect condition little Lyman powder dispenser in its original box on top of a cabinet in my mom's basement when I was helping her with some things around her house last month.

A pause for the COZ
08-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Hey 44Vaquero. Could you PM me with the Info for the replacements turrets???? Please...

I have two of these. one I use for my 30-30 plinking loads.
it came with the full lenth sizer. hehehehe

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8462.jpg

Makes pretty good ammo as far as I am concerned.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8471.jpg

Would not mind setting up the second one for standard dies and keep it set up for my 32H&R loads.

44Vaquero
08-28-2012, 05:45 PM
APC, PM sent.

Green Frog
08-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Would not mind setting up the second one for standard dies and keep it set up for my 32H&R loads.

A recent successful (?) use of one of my Jrs was with a like-new set of dies I found @ OGCA for the 32 S&W. I set the press up to use them, but even though I could full length size with that set-up, still batch process my brass by decapping on a big press with a TC die. Since I haven't had a way to try it, I honestly don't know what the little Jr would do with the big die and a modified top plate... it might have enough beef for sizing that little case.

Froggie

44Vaquero
08-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Froggie, I would not worry too much. The main issue with the small presses is "Cam Over" adjust your sizing die so that it does not touch the shell holder. A little lube even with carbide dies helps too!
Pistol calibers only, no belted magnums! Plenty of guys have done the conversion and are very happy with it, as long as you remember it is a small press!

A pause for the COZ
08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
I dont think there are too many around who use a TLJ because they have too.
Some times its just fun to play with tools.
Obviously spending an extra 50- 60 bucks on a turret head. When you already have 5 presses that could do it.

Dont tell the wife I did that.:groner:

Wayne Smith
08-30-2012, 12:22 PM
And I'm seriously considering buying another TLJ because I bought one of those heads years ago and have never mounted it! Of course I need another one to mount that head!

Green Frog
08-30-2012, 05:27 PM
And I'm seriously considering buying another TLJ because I bought one of those heads years ago and have never mounted it! Of course I need another one to mount that head!

Because I like you, Wayne, I'll take it off your hands for you. I'm sure I've got plenty of stuff in the Sanctum Sanctorum that you just can't do without (even if you don't know yet it exists! :-D)

If you just must have another TL Jr, I can probably arrange that as well. Drop me a PM if interested. :coffeecom

Froggie

josper
08-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I had a TL JR given to me a year ago and I found an adaptor plate on e-bay for the 7/8-14 dies. I set it up for 40s&w and it has worked out good for this caliber. I tried it with the original dies for 38spl. and it didn't resize very eazy.I gave up with that one. This press must be the first edition because it has the straight linkage not compound.

Wayne Smith
09-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Mine has the compound linkage. I just decapped and sized 100 38 Sp and 150 357Mag with the 310 dies. Very easy and a nice short stroke compared to my other presses.

Froggie, thanks for the generosity! Next time we are in Lynchburg I'll have to look you up and explore.

A pause for the COZ
09-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I have my new turret installed and set up for my 32 long loads.
What can i say.... Toys..[smilie=w:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8491.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_84932.jpg