PDA

View Full Version : NOE Digital Thermometer?

Steel185
08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
I got NOE's Digital Thermometer and redy to put my first hole in m mold and I need some advise to those that use these. Should i put the hole for the prob in the front or back? I have 4 6 cavity molds (lee molds) a NOE custom 4 cavity HP mold, and a few 2 cavity molds. I didnt want to drill lots of holes everywhere. I was thinking away from the handles to run the thermometer line away from the "casting" area, but that will cause issues with the pot. the pot is a Lee 20# bottom pour, by the way.

Any suggestions?

Also how exact does the hole need to be? I have a friend with a drill press. Other wise it would be me a drill gun and a vice.

41mag
08-17-2012, 05:02 AM
I used my drill press and drilled the hole in bottom corner, of the right hand block, on the out side end, away from the handles, if that makes sense. If not mistaken that is how the diagram which came with them showed it to be done. The only issue I have had was one mold I forgot to snug down the vice and it wobbled right as I bottomed out the hole which made it a bit loose for the probe. I just waxed up the probe with some JPW, and shoved it in the hole on top of a little ball of Devcon Steel Putty. So far it has held up just fine, and the probe fits in snug enough to stay put.

My 4-20 has been modified a bit from the standard model. I raised it up 4" using a piece of 4x4 aluminum square tubing under the main riser in the back and 1/4" SS tubing to replace the front risers. I had initially purchased it to pour up large surf weights using copper and SS tubing as the outer body. This let me set them up under the spout with a small pan of sand under the bottoms.

I am not sure how the digital wire works under the standard model but there seemed to be quite a few folks using them when I got mine last year. With the added height on my pot there is no issues what so ever. The only thing I have to be careful about is having my dump pan set up close enough so that I don't keep pulling the main unit off the steel leg of my table.

Hope this helps.

zomby woof
08-17-2012, 06:46 PM
I got a drill bit and instructions with my NOE DT. His molds come pre-drilled with the hole in the left side of the mold near the handles. Unless your left handed, All my moves go to the right. The thermometer stays on the left. If you bottom pour, the wire needs to be in the back.

ElDorado
08-17-2012, 07:52 PM
NOE put a set screw in one of mine to hold the probe in. It's a great help. That probe gets loose when the mould gets up to temperature.

Doc Highwall
08-17-2012, 08:23 PM
I have been drilling mine just like NOE does with the wire coming stright back towards the handles.

I have been putting two rubber bands on the left handle and run the cable through them so it will be out of the way.

Frozone
08-17-2012, 08:41 PM
I'll second Doc,
Only - I used a little spring wire to build a 'clip' that holds the sensor in the mold and clips over the handles.