PDA

View Full Version : Need a lube that stays in lube grooves

BK7saum
08-15-2012, 01:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of a lube that will stick in the lube grooves. Looking for 1000 fps or so out of a rifle and need the lube to stay with the bullet instead of spinning off as it leaves the muzzle.

Thanks, Brad

geargnasher
08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
It's a lot easier to get it to leave than stay. If you're shooting mild loads like that and want the lube to stay, just tumble-lube them with a light film of 45/45/10 Recluse lube.

Gear

BK7saum
08-15-2012, 02:09 PM
I'll look into that. Rifle is a whisper with the NOE 247 grain and an 8-twist barrel. So even at 1000 it'll be turning a few rpms.

geargnasher
08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
That's what I figured. Use the tumble lube, but read the instruction in recluse's thread and follow them to the letter if you aren't already familiar with the process.

Gear

Bloodman14
08-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Once the boolit leaves the barrel, why does the loob staying in the grooves matter? Just askin'.

MarcusT
08-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Once the boolit leaves the barrel, why does the loob staying in the grooves matter? Just askin'.

The loads are probably being shot through a suppressor and he doesn't want a bunch of lube in it.

geargnasher
08-18-2012, 01:12 AM

It matters if it doesn't ALL stay. A few bits coming off in flight will affect the balance of the boolit, often enough to make a big difference in group size at a distance.

What tends to happen when the lube doesn't soften sufficiently during firing is that chunks fall off, especially if the ends of the sections of the lube ring in each groove didn't completly and positively bond where it was extruded into place in the sizer. Ever notice that sometimes there are little gaps or air bubbles in the lube ring? Those bubbles or gaps act as break-away points for sections of the lube ring if the lube is intact in the groove upon muzzle exit. I've done a lot of point-blank firing through cardboard to see what happens to the lube, and have observed lube spatter at various ranges with different formulas and the resulting groups. I'm convinced beyond a doubt that lube viscosity and composition matters a great deal to accuracy after the muzzle.

Gear

geargnasher
08-18-2012, 01:13 AM
The loads are probably being shot through a suppressor and he doesn't want a bunch of lube in it.

That's why I suggested trying the tumble-lube for the subsonic load.

Gear

Bloodman14
08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
It matters if it doesn't ALL stay. A few bits coming off in flight will affect the balance of the boolit, often enough to make a big difference in group size at a distance.

What tends to happen when the lube doesn't soften sufficiently during firing is that chunks fall off, especially if the ends of the sections of the lube ring in each groove didn't completly and positively bond where it was extruded into place in the sizer. Ever notice that sometimes there are little gaps or air bubbles in the lube ring? Those bubbles or gaps act as break-away points for sections of the lube ring if the lube is intact in the groove upon muzzle exit. I've done a lot of point-blank firing through cardboard to see what happens to the lube, and have observed lube spatter at various ranges with different formulas and the resulting groups. I'm convinced beyond a doubt that lube viscosity and composition matters a great deal to accuracy after the muzzle.

Gear

Hey, I learned something! (I hate it when that happens.):-P

Sonnypie
08-18-2012, 05:02 PM

It goes through the paper better if it's luberkated.....
:groner:

44man
08-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Gear
YES, YES, all in a nut shell.
Use a suppressor use jacketed. Hard lube that breaks away is no better in the things.