PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Shack Security

gsdelong
08-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I am curious on how others deal with exposing other casters to their "casting shacks".

I have been interested in finding a casting buddy but since none of my immediate friends, co-workers or family are really interested, it would be somebody I knew little about.

I noticed some close by newbes on the board.

I have been concerned about the possibility of breaching my under the radar security, along with the alarms, cameras, safes, dogs, spent shells, and shot up targets.

I realize the neighbors might have a clue based on the 100 plus rounds of 45/70 I shot the other day:Fire: And the weekly "testing" of a couple hundred other various rounds.

I have been burnt in the past when I gave a guy a place to sleep for a week and he came back a robbed me blind.

Any thoughts?

Greg

aarolar
08-15-2012, 11:49 AM
I am curious on how others deal with exposing other casters to their "casting shacks".

I have been interested in finding a casting buddy but since none of my immediate friends, co-workers or family are really interested, it would be somebody I knew little about.

I noticed some close by newbes on the board.

I have been concerned about the possibility of breaching my under the radar security, along with the alarms, cameras, safes, dogs, spent shells, and shot up targets.

I realize the neighbors might have a clue based on the 100 plus rounds of 45/70 I shot the other day:Fire: And the weekly "testing" of a couple hundred other various rounds.

I have been burnt in the past when I gave a guy a place to sleep for a week and he came back a robbed me blind.

Any thoughts?

Greg

Ive been thinking about the same thing but have the same concerns as you about it. I have 40 acres and plans to put in a gunrange this fall/winter and would love to have some friends to shoot with who enjoy it as much as I do but I fear they would abuse the privilege by trashing up the place or worst case robbing me blind. It's a freaking shame that we have to be worried about this kind of thing but like you I have had my friendship abused in the past and it sucks to have to be a arsehole to someone youve become "friends" with.

I do have fences with gates going onto my property but that only keeps honest people honest and plus it becomes a pain to have to lock them everytime you go out.

Hamish
08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Spend a little time searching a prospective contacts posts. Then if things look good, make contact on neutral ground and spend a little time together.

montana_charlie
08-15-2012, 12:28 PM

I can understand a desire to exchange information, trade alloy, and share tools, but why do you want a 'casting buddy'?

To me, a friend or neighbor with whom I can trade secrets is plenty good, and I only see a need to visit each other's casting room when 'showing' works better than 'telling'.

I don't happen to have a friend or neighbor who casts but I don't feel underpriviliged at all.

Of course, I am also not the kind who feels it necessary to be 'in touch' with someone while grocery shopping, getting a haircut, or driving home from town.
Guess that's why I never got the bug to buy a cellphone ...

CM

gray wolf
08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
My first answer would be,
If you don't know them and trust them WELL, --then continue alone.
Remember it will mostly be done in your area, your material and tools, your range.
Seems you will have a few dogs in the fight and they will have none.
Also even if they are somewhat OK, who will they talk to ? who are there friends ?
Now that's the suspicious side of it all.
Chip away at that and see if you can feel comfortable with whats left.
Follow your gut feelings and instincts.

gray wolf
08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I can understand a desire to exchange information, trade alloy, and share tools, but why do you want a 'casting buddy'?
To me, a friend or neighbor with whom I can trade secrets is plenty good, and I only see a need to visit each other's casting room when 'showing' works better than 'telling'.
I don't happen to have a friend or neighbor who casts but I don't feel underpriviliged at all.
Of course, I am also not the kind who feels it necessary to be 'in touch' with someone while grocery shopping, getting a haircut, or driving home from town.
Guess that's why I never got the bug to buy a cellphone ...

Very wise attitude in today's times, and also personnel preference.

smokeywolf
08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Choices and decisions of this nature always boil down to a very simple formula; risk versus reward. Example: If a pot of lead tipped over on your buddy, your fault, his fault, nobody's fault, are you going to get sued? If you were sued under those circumstances would your homeowner's insurance cover that?
Is there a risk to personal safety? Not just to property loss. Whatever the risk to your safety may also be a risk to the rest of your family.

You mention newbies on the forum that could be potential casting buddies. So far, all of the folks on castboolits with whom I've chatted or exchanged views or ideas have been really great. But, if I were going to lower my guard, it would be to someone who has a track record on the forum.

smokeywolf

gsdelong
08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I hear you all, and I agree with the risk reward factor. Would not mind sharing molds, etc. but would agree the reward factor is probably small. Besides with a wife who has traveled over 3000 miles in the last 60 days to gun shows and to buy a couple of collections who needs more[smilie=w:

geargnasher
08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
+1 to what Hamish said. I always prefer to meet strangers on neutral ground, i.e. have lunch, meet at a range, gunshow, something like that. If something doesn't feel right then don't invite them to your house

Gear

GRUMPA
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
It may be the person/people in the local area and there attitudes. Around here folks can and will rob you blind to the point that "TRUST" word is almost gone by the way of the dinosaurs. On the few occasions I have people here at first glance there's no tell tale evidence of anything out of the ordinary, all spent cases are cleaned up, all debris from targets and so on are not visible.

I have someone interested in learning to roll there own and my reloading tools are in the house and in a room all to there own. In order for me to feel somewhat secure I have taped newsprint on my gun cabinet so what's inside is not visible.

I have had very few people here, being as remote as I am it's rather simple. But when I do I tell them ALL the same thing.

TRUST is earned and not given.

Friendship is also earned and not given, I don't care how well your vocabulary is or your ability to talk and giggle at the same time.

B.S. is acceptable so long as no harm comes of it.

When you come over you call first and NEVER just show up, anyone that does is a trespasser and is dealt with accordingly.

If you can't respect my privacy I wont respect yours.

And this property and it's contents are to be treated like Las Vegas, what happens here stays here, that part never ever gets violated.

I'm very set in my ways, and that's how I approach things here.

bob208
08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
i know of people that have extensive gun colections but fear to show them to any one. i fear having people come shoot at my place too because one second of some ones bad judgment could cost every thing.

Crash_Corrigan
08-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I live in a seniors only trailer park. We are a close knit group and we keep an eye out at all times and a stranger is quickly noticed and challenged.

I have lived here for 3 years and nobody knows about my casting or reloading or my collection of weapons.

I have a decent gunsafe and I keep my weapons stored therein. I share my hobby with no one here in the park. I probably have an amount of gunpowder both BP and smokeless that would be alarming to most people. The amount of weapons I have would probably qualify as an arsenal to the local media.

The amount of ready to use ammo stored would also probably give the media a hissy fit..

If they do not know about it then it is not a problem. If my neighbors know it could become a problem. I am sure that if the owners of the park knew what I had in my trailer they would find a way to get me outta here.

I carry my carry gun concealed. I load and unload my car to and from the range during the evening when no one is out an about. Even when doing so all long guns are cased and wrapped in blanket to disguise the contants. Same with pisols...ammo...targets and misc.

It is a shame that I must hide my hobby but this is reality here not La La Land.

I have a shooting buddy who lives here in town and he also conducts himself on the down low. We share info and tools and stuff but we each load our own ammo.....

smokeywolf
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I remember back in the 50s when it was completely normal to walk into someone's house and see a half dozen guns in a rack or case on the living room or den wall. I remember at age 9, riding my bicycle around town with my 22 rifle across the handle bars.

Times change, and rarely for the better.

Jim
08-15-2012, 05:32 PM
I have one friend, a young man, in all of Floyd County that knows what's in that little dutch barn behind my house. He understands that he doesn't bring ANYBODY with him when he comes to visit. Furthermore, he is the only one that has ever been in my gun room and he knows NOTHING. My 'gun room' is also my business office and if I'm not in it, the door is closed and locked.

"What's wrong, Jim, you don't trust nobody?" EXACTLY!

Firebricker
08-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Hamish,s idea seems like the best way to go about it. The only thing better is to get one of your hunting or shooting buddy,s to get the casting bug. FB

colt 357
08-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Got the best shooting casting and reloading buddy in the world my son. Plus I have a good friend at work that I shoot with. He reloads but dont cast yet. I am working on him. Think he is giving in to casting when he bought a box of 45 apc for $50.00. I cast for $4.50

geargnasher
08-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Rescue Panther:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_89094fc502f1054c8.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5399)

Gear

crabo
08-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Spend a little time searching a prospective contacts posts. Then if things look good, make contact on neutral ground and spend a little time together.

I think it was Montanna Charlie that asked about a caster in the D/FW area for a guy that wanted to learn to cast on a BPCR forum. (about 2 years ago) I did what Hamish suggests and this guy has become a regular shooting partner and good friend.

Recluse
08-16-2012, 01:28 AM
When you come over you call first and NEVER just show up, anyone that does is a trespasser and is dealt with accordingly.

For folks who try to come over uninvited, this is the friendliest thing they first meet:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=358&pictureid=5631

I assure you that I'm far less friendly. I don't like unexpected visits from people I DO know. I get downright nasty during unexpected visits from people I DON'T know.

:coffee:

kenjuudo
08-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Gun people are just different. I've had at least half a dozen forum members over to teach or work on molds etc. Couple a dozen non members for help with gun issues or to use the ramge...never a problem, come to think of it seven know where the spare key for the garage is hidden. Worst I ever get is wheel weights dropped off or some other goodie they thought I could use.

jim

aarolar
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
[/IMG]

I assure you that I'm far less friendly. I don't like unexpected visits from people I DO know. I get downright nasty during unexpected visits from people I DON'T know.

:coffee:

Im with you on this, I have made my wife MAD about this with her parents just showing up unexpectedly.

gsdelong
08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Been there also, came home one time from vacation to find my brother and sister and law in my bed. They did not come back for at least 3 years. Even then it was pretty tense.

Edub
08-16-2012, 08:11 PM
I think it would be nice to have a casting/reloading buddy. I'm 24 years old and nobody my age around here reloads, let alone casts. I've had to learn everything from the internet. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to learn from the net but, there's nothing quite like having someone show you how to get started, or to help you out in person when you have questions, or heck, even just to talk casting/reloading/shooting with.

A lot of the old timers at the range talk guns with me while on the firing line but I'm sure when they see a young guy like me, they automatically think I'm a disrespectful rapscallion looking to ripoff everything they own. It's unfortunate but, I guess understandable.

Gee_Wizz01
08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
I am always looking for coworkers to take to the range. If I know them or get to know them well, I eventually bring the around the house. Lately I have had some serious medical issues, and one of my kids had to move back home with my Grandsons, for now anyway, I don't bring anyone home. I am willing to take my reloading equipment over to friends houses and show them how to reload and even cast. I am VERY particular about who comes into contact with the grandkids. I am always willing to meet people at the range and sign them in as guests, because getting people interested in this hobby is the only way to make sure our hobby will continue on for future generations.

G

9.3X62AL
08-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks to a few folks on this board I recently met a young officer from one of the local agency substations for a discussion about casting and reloading. A fine young man, and after he's back from vacation I'm sure we'll get back together again.

aarolar
08-16-2012, 09:22 PM
I think it would be nice to have a casting/reloading buddy. I'm 24 years old and nobody my age around here reloads, let alone casts. I've had to learn everything from the internet. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to learn from the net but, there's nothing quite like having someone show you how to get started, or to help you out in person when you have questions, or heck, even just to talk casting/reloading/shooting with.

A lot of the old timers at the range talk guns with me while on the firing line but I'm sure when they see a young guy like me, they automatically think I'm a disrespectful rapscallion looking to ripoff everything they own. It's unfortunate but, I guess understandable.

Shame you don't live closer Im the same age with the same issues...

Geraldo
08-18-2012, 07:39 AM
A while ago a guy on this forum was selling a rifle and I noticed he was right up the road from me. I offered to meet him at a gun shop, but he said to come by his house and take a look. Of course the patrol car parked in his driveway probably would have run off anyone with bad intentions, but trust was refreshing.

I met a guy at the range I shoot and and we've become good friends. We shoot together weekly, I've been inside his house, and I'd have no problem with him dropping by any time at mine.

I've been down the paranoia road before and didn't much care for it. I don't let just anyone in and I don't advertise that I have guns here, but I'm not cutting myself off from everybody.

WILCO
08-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Continue to be a man of integrity and morals. The rest will come naturally.

WILCO
08-19-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't like unexpected visits from people I DO know.

Same here. I've burnt many bridges because my sovereignty was ignored.

opos
08-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm not the friendliest cuss in town but also not the most standoffish...I'm cautious. We live in a major city right on the Mexico border so we never "invite" anyone we don't know to visit (like from Craigs list or things like that). I've bought and sold guns and of course here that's all done at a dealer location. I had posted on another board that indoor ranges are difficult for me because of some lung issues...a guy in the area invited to meet me at a local range and if we "hit it off" he might have a place we could shoot outdoors....boy did he...he's got a great ranch in the mountains near San Diego...he was very gracious and I shoot there with him quite a bit...both older men....I always take something as a "thanks" and often take a gun or two he may not have been able to shoot before...we have become friends...but he did it just like I would have....get acquainted over coffee or at a neutral location. In the area where I live if you just invite someone in you might really regret it. I don't ever show guns off....don't load with the garage door open so folks can see in and don't carry guns in and out of the house except in a very neutral looking bag. Just doesn't pay .... and that's a shame.

Edub
08-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Continue to be a man of integrity and morals. The rest will come naturally.

Indeed.

I did meet a gentleman at the range the other day that I talked into reloading. I've been helping him get started via e-mail. It's nice being able to help someone out when that help was never available to me. I also educated an older gentleman about reloading. He was telling a younger guy that he doesn't reload because all he shoots is 9mm and it wouldn't save him any money. It definitely saves me lots of money.

paul h
08-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Gun people are just different. I've had at least half a dozen forum members over to teach or work on molds etc. Couple a dozen non members for help with gun issues or to use the ramge...never a problem, come to think of it seven know where the spare key for the garage is hidden. Worst I ever get is wheel weights dropped off or some other goodie they thought I could use.

jim

Yup, and it's sad that some folks live in areas where they can't trust others. I have several buddies that will readily offer me guns, reloading equipment etc to borrow for extended periods of time. More often than not I won't take them up on the offers as I just would rather not have anything happen to their guns etc., while in my care.

deerslayer
10-01-2012, 10:07 PM

jim

Yes sir, we gun folks are different!
Thanks for all the help Jim!