PDA

View Full Version : G'day to all from Oz

dupontin
08-14-2012, 10:16 PM
:grin: G'day to all from Australia !

I'm a newbie to casting and reloading, I've been shooting for 30 years, but done little reloading and casting in that time. (10 years military service also).

I hope I can learn lots from you all, and above all enjoy myself, Life is for fun, shooting is fun, therefore shooting is life....

I will be reloading .223 and .308 and probably in about six months I want to buy a 357sig (maybe a Sig Sauer or Glock)
Definitely reloading that baby too.

I currenly have the following firearms
1. Ruger Gunsite Scout (18 inch barrel, stainless steel with no flash hider)
2. Tikka T3 .223 1in8 twist barrel (suitable for larger 70-80gr projectiles)
3. a CZ .22 and .22 pistol. (obviously not for reloading ;-)
Any guidance around lead mixes, molds (moulds ?), equipment brands always welcome.

We have some pretty strict laws in Australia, and lots of firearm importing companies wanting to treat us badly and rip us off.
Therefore the more I can make myself the cheaper my sport.

Again G'day to all.

Mike

runfiverun
08-14-2012, 11:44 PM
you have one of the best mold makers around right there in australia.
cbe [cast bullet enterprises]
you'll get plenty of opinions here and lot's of suggestions and good advice too.
but you have to try stuff and be observant to what happens in your particular set-up [and alloy you can get] to get things as good as you can.

welcome aboard.

dromia
08-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits dupontin. :drinks:

There are quiet a few Ozzie members here as well as some of us from the home country. :)

Southern Son
08-15-2012, 03:10 AM
dupontin,
Dude, where in Oz are you? I am not far out of Rockhampton, Qld. Dromia is right on the money, there are a bunch of us on here, and a few Kiwis, to boot.

On the reloading for .308 front, get down into the Group Buys, there are a couple of group buys getting started now that will be kick *** in the .308 (I am waiting on a Mihec group buy to get underway).

On the .357Sig, I am reloading for 38Spl and 9mm in revolver/pistol and (again!) I am waiting for a group buy that will hopefully do O.K in both. If it don't work well enough in the 9mm, then I will get another mould for it then. I have spoken to a couple of blokes that take their IPSC type shooting very serious, and both of them said that getting the .357Sig to shoot well is very hard. Just something for you to consider.

sthwestvictoria
08-15-2012, 04:20 AM
you have one of the best mold makers around right there in australia.
cbe [cast bullet enterprises]

Unfortunately CBE (Cast Bullet Engineering) is no longer really running. The fellow there is selling any old stock he has (mostly cadet and 303) but even small stocks of this. He is not currently making new molds.

Current stocks:
http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page006.html

Which is a real shame given the list of possible molds one could order in the past is staggering:
http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page0041.html

koehn,jim
08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Welcome aboard.

runfiverun
08-15-2012, 12:43 PM
wow, that sucks.
he had a ton of molds available and they were good ones too, in design and quality.

WILCO
08-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits dupontin. :drinks:

Ditto for me!

dupontin
08-28-2012, 02:54 AM
Thanks all
I was looking at the 357sig as i was under the impression the .40 cal is not allowed here in WA (some BS about the police being the only ones allowed).
I have since found out that a number of club members have them, I think given the 357sig is necked I might be happier with the .40.

Wal'
08-28-2012, 03:34 AM
wow, that sucks.
he had a ton of molds available and they were good ones too, in design and quality.

Same problem we have with all our products down here........not a large enough population to support our producers to compete with overseas competitors. :cry: especially now, the Chinese. :cry:

And the reason sadly, why so many of us are all over your products, half the price we pay here. :-?