PDA

View Full Version : My first arrest.

Recluse
08-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Not sure what the offense was, but I didn't read her her Miranda warning--This was pre-1966.

She did offer me a couple of slices of egg-custard pie to un-cuff her. I learned about bribes at an early age.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=5628

:coffee:

imashooter2
08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Did you take the grease? :kidding:

Bad Water Bill
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
No he did not take any grease BUT take a CLOSE look at the empty cookie jar on the right side of the table.

Someone PAID their fine and then was released.:bigsmyl2:

fatnhappy
08-14-2012, 10:52 PM
OMG, between the plaid couch, dress and your shirt I almost had an epileptic seizure.

[smilie=1:

WILCO
08-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Great picture Recluse. Looks like happy times indeed!

runfiverun
08-14-2012, 11:40 PM
good thing parts of the world were still in B&W back then.
i can see the red/white,yellow and cream,and gold/green squares through the years though.

waksupi
08-15-2012, 12:55 AM
What kind of a sidearm are ya packin' there, pardner?

Recluse
08-15-2012, 01:51 AM
What kind of a sidearm are ya packin' there, pardner?

I had my trusty twin nickel-plated (plastic) pearl handled Mattel Lone Ranger six-shooters back then.

The Lone Ranger was a former Texas Ranger so my family was convinced that was the path I was heading down. An older cousin ended up there, but when I joined the feds and the U.S. Marshals Service, I think the family was ready to disown me. I know for a fact if I'd joined the FBI or DEA they would've disowned me. If I'd joined ATF or IRS, they would've tarred and feathered me, then hung me. At least the Marshals had good guys like Marshal Dillon and John Wayne who knew how to ride horses and shoot straight.

Have no earthly idea whatever happened to those pistols. Imagine that: Real die-cast metal cap-pistols back then for five-year-olds to run and play with. No sillly-arsed orange tips on the things. Cops back then knew that no five-year-old was going to point a real gun at them.

Besides, I had my handy-dandy steed, Silver, at my beck and call and would go galloping down the dusty road after my chores were done fighting the outlaws. I was especially diligent about them cattle rustlers since we were in ranching.

Learned how to tie a hangman's noose by the time I was seven years old.

Those were the days of youth and innocence and much simpler times. No cell phones. No personal computers. No wireless phones. Music still came to you over the radio or the RCA record player via 45rpm and 33 1/3 rpm vinyl records. We listened to the Grand Ole Opry and the Louisiana Hayride on Saturday nights after the work was done and everyone had eaten and cleaned up. Out in the country, those rabbit ears didn't get too good of reception, but our old transistor radios on the AM dial could pick up stations as far as away as Mexico.

Way simpler times. Less confusion. Alcoholics were called drunks; homeless were called bums or hobos; gay meant happy, pedophiles were called perverts and feared for their lives; the local cop and sheriff were your friend and knew you by your first and last name as well as EXACTLY when you were supposed to be in school.

We rode our horses in the riverbeds and even as young as age seven and eight, carried single-shot .22s and .410 shotguns to kill the rattlesnakes and cottonmouths we'd run across. Everyone in the family worked Monday through Saturday, and everyone went to church on Sunday unless you were gravely ill.

Funny thing is, none of us got in criminal trouble. None of us went to jail. None of us got hooked on drugs. None of us beat our wives or kids. Us boys were terrified of getting a girl "in trouble" as we were every bit as afraid of her father and brothers as we were of what our OWN father and grandfather would do to us. We said "ma'am" and "sir" to our elders and did as we were told.

Almost all of the boys I grew up with all went and served at least one hitch in the military because that's just how you were raised in Texas back then. I served with a lot of guys from Maine and Indiana and from all over the South who were raised the same way. When we got back home, we used our GI bills and went and busted our butts and made something of ourselves.

It wasn't an easy childhood. Turns out, according to the MSM and liberals and Democrats and social engineers, that we were poor as hell and that the gubbmint should've been shoveling "relief" our way.

Spit on that. We had land which meant we could grow small crops. We had livestock which meant we could eat meat. We had guns which meant we could hunt and we had fishing poles which meant we could walk down to the river or creek or ride our bikes to the small lakes and bring home fish to eat.

Air-conditioning was what you had when you opened the windows and/or turned on a fan. Heating was what you got when you put more wood in the stove. Cold at night? Throw on a couple of more of grandma's hand-sewn quilts. Hot? Move closer to the window or go get you a wet washrag and put it over your head.

Different times, to be sure.

Hamish
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Funny how the smell of a cap gun can erase decades in an instant. Bullseye J.D.

bowfin
08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the picture, Recluse.

My mom has one of me lighting up a stick as a cigarette, using a piece of old water faucet as a lighter. That was back in the day when the imagination was provided by your own brain, and not the processor and hard drive of an Xbox.

I will post some pictures later when I get to my other computer...better yet, this subject needs a whole new thread, "Kids at Play". Stay tuned...

waksupi
08-15-2012, 11:32 AM
This isn't the politics forum, keep it out of the thread.

btroj
08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I was just born in 1966 but I do remember the plaid. Definitely not an era with anything black and white except the photos and TV!

It sure is good to be able to look back at childhood and remember just how naive we were. We thought we had it all, luckiest kids on earth.

Bad Water Bill
08-15-2012, 12:20 PM
One of the nice things about being raised way back when is my FINGER 45 with the silver boolits NEVER EVER ran out of ammo.

I have no idea how many of those soldiers in europe and the S Pacific I shot plus the bad guys and raiding ingins.

Yes I had to clean mY FINGER gun before meals and bed.

Never a misfire either and never had to feed or clean up after my faithful horse either

My folks had a 8" TV with a big bubble magnifier in front of it. Yes you had a choice if colors for the screen, BLACK or WHITE.

Life was indeed good back then.

Recluse
08-15-2012, 01:32 PM
One of the nice things about being raised way back when is my FINGER 45 with the silver boolits NEVER EVER ran out of ammo.

Life was indeed good back then.

HA! Even better was that my trusted steed, Sliver. . . well, I never had to shovel any horse hockey up from him since Silver was a broom.

Now, cleaning up in the barn and stables after our real horses was another matter--but it was just another chore we did without thinking anything about it. Everyone had livestock back then and half the time you'd help your friends out with THEIR chores before you gathered your rifle and fishing poles up and headed down to the river for an afternoon of frolicking in the sun and water, shooting snakes and turtles and playing cowboys and indians before racing the sun back home.

I sit here and type this from an Apple laptop, transmitting it over a mysterious device called the Internet and do so from the comfort of a home that cost more than all of our land and belongings did back then--which is due to the inflation index and not because we're rich. We've got three color tv's in our home, all of which are far larger than that little black & white we had and the big-screen monster downstairs has a theater sound system that could probably drown out the Grand Ole Opry entire band.

We've got a device to wash the dishes and the only iron I turn on is the one in my reloading shop I use to heat up some lube for one of my lubesizers--I love the Latino woman who started and runs her own dry-cleaning and laundry service. I love no longer having to iron even more. My wife and I both have cell phones. We have a weather radio to warn us of approaching storms rather than having to constantly keep an eye on the sky. We have three cars, all of which have air-conditioners and electric windows and power door locks and interiors that are more comfortable than the furniture we grew up sitting on.

Would I go back to the simpler life? *Shrug* I honestly dunno.

What I *do* know is that I wouldn't trade everything I have in this world for the memories and experiences I obtained from that childhood. My family loved me and never neglected me (contrary to some of my thoughts at the time :)), I wasn't beaten--I was disciplined. Often times it was severe, but like the other Kinman boys, I was as hard-headed and stubborn as they came and sometimes even the razor strap didn't get my attention--or hold it--the way it should.

I remember having this shrink from the VA when I got out of the service tell me I had been "abused" as a child because of the whippings and chores and strict discipline. I laughed in her Philadelphia born-and-raised-upper-class face. She was on her third marriage and wasn't even thirty-five, way in debt, overweight and ugly and generally one miserable human being.

It all sounds like Hank Williams, Jr's A Country Boy Can Survive, but it's the truth. A few of the city boys I served with had the dickens of a time in the survival and SERE schools we had to attend--us country boys breezed through. I live in the (expletive deleted) city now, but adapted with ease. When I go back out to the country and small towns I so love, I laugh at the big-city yokels who, for whatever reason, are having to adapt. Most are miserable.

Back then, we grew up with "happiness is a state of mind" and it truly was.

Yep, Hamish, it's nothing short of incredible what the smell of a couple of just-busted caps can bring back.

Bad Water Bill
08-15-2012, 02:06 PM
How about the oil vapor smell of a just oiled Daisey BB gun?

popper
08-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Ah, those Jap derringer pistols. Who made the Colts with the caps that went into the bullets? Plenty of cloths pin rubber-band guns to off the neighbor kids, when dirt clods wouldn't do it. No horse, but Bozo the clown to spar with. If you were lucky you'd get to turn the wringer or ice cream maker handle. When dad got wealthy, we got an electric fan in the window. Green hornet Boston Blackie, Stella Dallas and THE SHADOW on the radio, under the covers, of course. If you took the guts out of the Daisy and poured oil in, it would smoke just like BP.

gray wolf
08-15-2012, 06:57 PM
I wish my Mom could scold me right now,
and my dad could tell me to cut the Lawn.
Now some of the boys play with dolls and the toy guns have funny red paint on the ends. .05 cent life savors cost a buck and a .10 cent donuts runs a $1.50
I liked the lead BB's better that the Copper plated Steel.

gray wolf
08-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Ah, those Jap derringer pistols. Who made the Colts with the caps that went into the bullets? Plenty of cloths pin rubber-band guns to off the neighbor kids, when dirt clods wouldn't do it. No horse, but Bozo the clown to spar with. If you were lucky you'd get to turn the wringer or ice cream maker handle. When dad got wealthy, we got an electric fan in the window. Green hornet Boston Blackie, Stella Dallas and THE SHADOW on the radio, under the covers, of course. If you took the guts out of the Daisy and poured oil in, it would smoke just like BP.
Will you cut that out ??

Junior1942
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
How about the oil vapor smell of a just oiled Daisey BB gun?Yes! I remember that smell!!

smokeywolf
08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Ah, the good old days. Our milk (in glass bottles) and cottage cheese was delivered to the front porch in a wire rack. The Helms Bakery truck came around once or twice a week with breads, cakes, and pastries. Doctors made housecalls.

I spent much of my spare time in my dad's work shop helping with reloading or watching him work on guns. Or, in the back room at the old Pony Express Sport Shop in Encino, CA.

Pepsi was 10 cents for 16 oz. bottle with a .05 cent refund on the bottle.

TheDoctor
08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Take a trip to the Texas Ranger museum some day, Clayton Moore's sixguns are there, along with his mask. It is a worthwhile visit.

Recluse
08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Take a trip to the Texas Ranger museum some day, Clayton Moore's sixguns are there, along with his mask. It is a worthwhile visit.

Been there, done that. Waco is one of my regular "fly-in" places for a meal and to browse around the Ranger museum or Dr Pepper museum or just visit with a couple of old friends.

largom
08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Still have my "first" gun, a double barrel pirate cap pistol which I got about age 4 or 5. Somewhere along the way I misplaced [lost] my Daisy Red Ryder. Yes I can still smell the smoke from the caps and the gun oil.

Larry

colt 357
08-15-2012, 10:20 PM
AHHHH YES the good old days when life was simple. My mom gave me a picture of me when I was 5 or so at christmas with my new big red tonka fire truck. I collect toy fire truck to this day and got that same fire truck off ebay for $75.00 dollars now. How life would change later on when I found girls. Joan Jett was my first crush I try not to watch her videos when reloading as I dont get much done.

popper
08-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Will you cut that out ?? Sorry, I don't get the reference.

shdwlkr
08-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Recluse
I have been forced by this thread to remember getting up at 4:30am to go milk the cows on a neighbors farm I went to work on at age 12. I remember the warm raw cows milk and fresh donuts the older hired hand brought to work later in the morning think 5:30am.
I remember taking care of all the young stock and cleaning milkers, gutters and all before school mind you.

I remember and still enjoy the smell of fresh cut hay and miss all those bales to toss on the truck, onto the conveyor and stack for the winter. I miss the combining of the grain this time of year. I miss all the fresh garden veggies that we grew and most of all I miss my folks who are now long gone.

I worked hard back then, got paid little but it went farther than money does today. I can remember when we got our first TV back in the middle 50's and the TV went off the air around 9-10 o'clock every night.

I remember when you knew the good guys from the bad guys too. Today seems they both wear the same clothes. I can remember when diesel was .18 a gallon delivered to the farm, I remember when you could get a gallon of milk for around 50 cents, a loaf a bread for .25 cents, a box of 22 lr bullets for 50-75 cents and 5$ would fill your gas tank on your car or truck. Yep things have changed and I really wonder if for the better or just we have been to willing to let others do the work for us and sit back and enjoy the air conditioned air and forget where we came from?

smokeywolf
08-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I still have my nickel plated Colt 22 single action Scout in it's original presentation box, that my folks gave me for Christmas when I was 6 years old. I've put thousands of rounds through that pistol. It saved my bacon one time when walking down the edge of an alfalfa field hunting jack rabbits and my foot almost came down on a baby rattler. My trusty Colt was loaded with snake shot.

DoubleAdobe
08-20-2012, 03:12 PM
How about the Mattel Fanner 50 six-shooter? I had a rather well-heeed (relatively,LOL) friend that had a set and I was oh, so jealous.

3006guns
08-20-2012, 03:30 PM
MAN you guys are making me feel..........good! Although by 1966 I was driving, those sights and sounds, from about 1957 to then, are still with me. The whole world was in front of our innocent eyes back then and we drank it all in.........

shdwlkr
08-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Recluse
this thread has brought back some memories of better times in this country when firearms were seen as tools not as a means of causing harm to others.

When we could allow our innocence be free to enjoy life. All to soon for many of us we got to see the real world in ways we never thought possible. The military has a way of removing those rose colored glasses and leaving us with memories that are less than pleasant and some that are just plan funny and still others that will haunt us for the rest of our days.

It is good to remember the innocence years as they can give us hope that one day will we see them return to some extent in our children and grandchildren. The look the first time a child or grandchild hits the bulls eye with that 22 LR dad or granddad bought for them, the quite times reading story for the umpteenth time to a child or grandchild curled up so close and feeling safe in your arms, those walks when everything is new and needs to be questioned and answers given, the birth of a calf or colt or whatever and how it fits into the scheme of life.

Yes Recluse you did bring back memories some good some not so good thank your for that

opos
08-22-2012, 10:26 PM
I think this was about 1944....Denver Stockyards where my Dad and Grandad were cattle buyers. Don't know why and didn't want to step on the thread but it all sort of fit...almost 75 now and those times were so innocent and peaceful....kids today don't play...how does a kid grow up not making believe and not knowing how to play? Wow.....thanks for letting me just drop by and be young again for a few minutes.
opos

popper
08-23-2012, 12:32 PM
opos - 10 to 1 you like that pic better than the one where the family is lined up, hair slicked and Sunday clothes. I's our history, not the stuff in text books. Remember it and pass it on, this country needs it. I enjoyed Dad's stories about dismantling the hay wagon and reassembling on top of the hardware store, or Gramma's stories of growing up with the plains indians. Dates and wars from the books, not so much.

gwpercle
08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Things must come around in cycles . At the store saw some teenagers wearing PLAID BERMUDA SHORTS... the kind my uncle would wear to our afternoon cookouts. No these were so outlandish I don't think even my colorblind uncle would wear them.
Ugly in 60's still ugly in 2012 . My daughter says thats " in style " now.

And last night as I walked across the Walgreen's Pharmacy parking lot a kid hangs a cap pistol out a car window and shoots me a couple times. Kinda startled me , I hadn't seen , or heard , a kid playing with a cap gun in a long time.
Maybe they have become acceptable as toys again. I know I sure enjoyed playing with them.

gary

opos
08-24-2012, 08:48 PM
opos - 10 to 1 you like that pic better than the one where the family is lined up, hair slicked and Sunday clothes. I's our history, not the stuff in text books. Remember it and pass it on, this country needs it. I enjoyed Dad's stories about dismantling the hay wagon and reassembling on top of the hardware store, or Gramma's stories of growing up with the plains indians. Dates and wars from the books, not so much.

Actually we didn't dress up much ....but as to a favorite picture...this was my Grandad....the best friend a kid could ever have...he gave me the pony but made me promise to not use a saddle...I think I was about 7 or maybe 8 (about 1945 or 46)....my Grandad was killed breaking a horse to work in the stockyards in Denver when he was 72...Tough men in those days

kmag
08-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Have enjoyed this thread. We had good childhood experiences, didn't we? When I was a kid Pepsi and RC cola were a nickle each and donuts were 2 for a nickle. Got my first BB gun when I was about 5 or so. Know it was before I started school. Have never been without one since. If the two I have now stopped working, I would go get another one before the day was over. Had a 22 when I was 7 and still have it. Had a lot of cap guns along the way. My father would take them to his shop and work on them. Don't know what he did, but when he finished with one it would feed the roll caps through it with no failures to feed. Sometimes he would run an entire roll through them just to check his work.
Dads been gone for over 20 years and I miss him and the good times we had. The world is an entirely different place from what we had years ago when we were growing up and the older I get the more I miss the old days.

Texantothecore
09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
There is a picture of me in when I was 4 or 5 in which I am dressed up in my brand new Roy Rogers outfit with twin Peacemakers. Boots stitched with Roy's signature. The whole shebang. One of the best Christmas's I have ever had.

It was, indeed, a simpler time.

LAH
09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Yes! I remember that smell!!

Very well.