PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer with boolit feeder

Forester
05-11-2007, 09:49 PM
A thread on another forum got me to thinking about this one...does anyone have a good number about what actual production they can get with a Star sizer, air pressure lube setup and the boolit feeder?

I can get about 1200/hour but I don't have a boolit feder on mine. How much additional production does it add?

I shoot 20-30Krds a year so I am alway looking for a way to speed up the process!!:Fire:

44woody
05-11-2007, 10:47 PM
I have all that stuff I really think I can go just as fast with out it loading the tubes is a pita hearing the compressor run is a pita but that is just me :castmine: 44Woody

3sixbits
05-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Most dia. about 2,000 an hour. I don't figure the time it takes to fill the tubes. I have 10 tubes for each dia. and fill them all before I start. Is it worth the trouble? That's anybody guess.

Springfield
05-12-2007, 03:29 AM
I have the air and bullet feeder on one of my Stars. I also don't count the time to fill the tubes cause that is also when I inspect the bullets. Plus I usually do it while I am listening to some recorded western TV show, so the time is enjoyable. I suppose it doesn't really speed things up much but I would rather take my time inspecting and tubing and then later I can just size fast and not have to worry too much about the bullet as they are pre inspected. I like the air feed, now that saves some time. Just crank the handle until you run out of lube. I also plugged the overflow hole in the lube tube so I can get in 50% more lube. So no more turning the lube handle every 20 bullets and also less time between lube stick changes. Plus the changes go faster with the air feed than with the stock plunger. I don't regret buying either accessory. And I probably lube/size 15,000 bullets a month or more.

Lloyd Smale
05-12-2007, 06:38 AM
im jealous i want one!!

Sundogg1911
05-12-2007, 08:49 AM
I love my Stars! (I have 2) I used a Lyman 450 for years untill someone one this site told me how much faster the Stars are (Thanks 44Woody!) I don't use the bullet feed or the air pressure option (yet) I can size pretty quickly. The only problem I have (and i think the feeder would eliminate it) is twice while sizing quickly i've brought the top punch down and pinched a finger. Not as bad as a few of the stories i've heard, but enough to have a black fingernail for a while.

Springfield
05-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Sundogg: the feeder is worth the price if to eliminate just that problem. And no one has mentioned it, but I use mine for 45's through 38 bullets. Haven't found a need for the 38 conversion. Even use the same tubes. I have 80 tubes so I can do 2000 bullets in a session.

KYCaster
05-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Weeellllllllll.......if yer not countin' the time it takes to load the feed tubes, then yer cheatin'!!:wink:

I sized everything I made on Star sizers for a little over four years till I got a Magma Size Master. I sized well over a million boolits per year with them. It didn't take long to convert one to air, then went on to modify a cap to couple two reservoir tubes together to hold 2 1/2 sticks of lube.

When I tried the feeder I found that I could feed the sizer by hand just as fast as I could load the tubes, so the time I spent loading the tubes just doubled the time it took for sizing.

2000 per hour is not an outrageous claim...I've done it often, but it's very hard to sustain that rate. 1500 to 1800 is more reasonable. The most I've ever done in one day was 11,000(8 1/2 hours with potty breaks), then after three hours of sleep, drove four hours to a gun show. That was a loooooonnnnnnng weekend!:roll:

Oh, BTW....I never have center punched a finger.....the closest I ever came was a little blood blister on the end of my thumb.:-D

Enjoy
Jerry

dmftoy1
05-13-2007, 06:26 AM
The only problem I have (and i think the feeder would eliminate it) is twice while sizing quickly i've brought the top punch down and pinched a finger. Not as bad as a few of the stories i've heard, but enough to have a black fingernail for a while.

LOL . ..I did that my first night . .thought I was the only one who was that "challenged". :) Thanks, that made my day. :)

230EAGLE
05-20-2007, 09:27 PM
I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY SET UP. CAN ANYONE HELP AND MAYBE TELL ME WHAT THEY ARE DOING BECAUSE WHATEVER I AM DOING IS ALL WRONG. LUBE EVERYWHERE, LUBE NOWHERE, LUBE ONLY IN HALF OF THE GROOVE. SO FED I'M SENDING IT BACK TO MAGMA IF I CAN'T GET.

ANY HELP WOULD MUCH APPRECIATED.
ERIK:confused:

Springfield
05-20-2007, 10:08 PM
230 eagle; e-mail me at mwwhyte@verizon.net and I can talk you through the set-up procedure for getting the holes lined up right.

230EAGLE
05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
THJANKS SPRINGFIELD FOR THE ALL THE HELP!

ERIK:castmine: :Fire:

Springfield
05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
I'll be waiting to hear from you on those 2 piece bottom punches!