PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Foster type slugs

barkerwc4362
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I have a Lyman 20 gauge Foster type slug mold that I want to do some load development with. The question I have is what alloy should I use. I have pure lead, lead w/tin, and WW w/tin. Lyman says to use pure lead. But I am casting my Lee 575-470M with WW w/tin and having good luck. Anyone cast the Foster type slugs out of anything but pure lead and had good success with loading them? I have a Lyman roll crimp tool and a hull press on order, plus the necessary wads, so no problem there. I want to try 2-3/4" and 3" in Federal hulls. This will be out of a Remington 870 Express Magnum with a Remington rifled barrel.

Bill

35remington
08-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Given the normal undersize of the Lyman Foster slug (mine casts at 0.598" out of wheelweights) you may need something more than luck to get them to shoot out of your rifled barrel.

The smart money says these will not reach the bottom of the rifling grooves......not even close. I don't know if you can find a plastic wad to use them in, as that is probably too large in diameter for a wadslug. Fiber wads ain't gonna help with the windage problem.

I shoot these out of a Mossberg 20 gauge bolt action with C-Lect Choke (my very first shotgun for my 12th birthday) and am able to get them to group, in a fashion, my sizing the collet correctly on the end of the barrel, but since that's a smoothbore and not a rifled barrel I can't give you any advice there. Accuracy is usable out to about 60 or 70 yards but hopeless at 100. Probably using a mylar wrap to keep it from rattling down the barrel before it hits the .600" diameter choke might help out but I haven't gone there yet. A little alox helps cut down on leading.

Not the ideal slug for a rifled 20 gauge, I think.

nanuk
08-15-2012, 02:36 AM
do a search for vdomemories

Ajay has done a lot of work with MiniBalls in wads.

from what I remember, they are near perfect size.

SuperBlazingSabots
08-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Good morning friends, I'm going to the range to do more testing today on 20 gauge, be on the look out for more faster loads,
Here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=150140&page=5

Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com

barkerwc4362
08-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Looks like I will cast about 50 or so to experiment with. Need to see what the as cast diameter will be with WW+tin. The 575-470Ms are running in the .577-.578 region and fit fine in a wad. Much bigger than that you begin to run into problems. If they are indeed .598 or so some sort of patch could work. I paper patch my 45-70, but I am generally only patching up .005-.007". Will have to see what works. The rest of the wads and vise should show up Saturday. I still have some load work to do with the Lee projectiles.

Bill