PDA

View Full Version : Who is buying this stuff off Ebay??

500MAG
08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
I am a regular ebayer and look at all the reloading stuff at least twice daily. I can't believe how many reloading items sell for more than you can buy them new at the online suppliers. I hope none of the guys from here are buying that stuff at such a hiked rate.:shock:

1Shirt
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Yep, I agree! I just scratch my head and wonder at some of the bids!
1Shirt!

Centaur 1
08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm amazed that the bids go above retail with days to go in the auction. Every once in a while you can still get lucky, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a like new desantis leather holster for my Glock for less than $5.

500MAG
08-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I know you can get good deals and I still do sometimes. But, i watch common items like lock rings and and especially Lee melting pots that go way above the common available retail price.

Centaur 1
08-14-2012, 09:01 PM
It's like they don't know how to use a search engine, doesn't take much time searching to find Graf's.

jmorris
08-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Yep, seems like most of them are nuttier than squirrel turds with the prices they are willing to pay.

Old Shooter
08-14-2012, 09:12 PM
If I bid on anything I just put my top bid in usually about 50 or 60% of new and thats it. If I can not get a fair deal I do not want it.

mac1911
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
biddingitis or gotawinitism can be as bad as castaholism, boolititis reloadAsyndrom ect ect.

flashhole
08-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Craig's List is no better. Some of the people ask a ridiculous amount of money for equipment that has been neglected for years.

jmsj
08-14-2012, 10:01 PM
If I bid on anything I just put my top bid in usually about 50 or 60% of new and thats it. If I can not get a fair deal I do not want it.

I got to agree.
I think a lot of people look at the auction as a competition and they just got to win. I don't think they realize the are really losing when they pay retail or higher prices. They also don't realize that sometimes they are stuck with it if the item is defective.
Good luck, jmsj

Sonnypie
08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Not me.

tchepone
08-14-2012, 10:22 PM
eBay, I watch that stuff also and the out of line prices happen all too regularly. I wonder if there is bid rigging going on? I don't know how that could happen but one has to wonder. I use Old Shooters method and have yet to win anything.

garym1a2
08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
I sold some stuff on ebay a few years ago and the top dollars items always went to buyers in Europe. Items we can buy here is not avaliable their.

Longwood
08-14-2012, 10:31 PM
eBay, I watch that stuff also and the out of line prices happen all too regularly. I wonder if there is bid rigging going on? I don't know how that could happen but one has to wonder. I use Old Shooters method and have yet to win anything.

I won three items today.
I saved over $80 on three items that only added up to $134 total.
I sure wish that I had won the Scott Murphy tumble,r with a steel drum, that sold for less than $83 recently.

Longwood
08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
I sold some stuff on ebay a few years ago and the top dollars items always went to buyers in Europe. Items we can buy here is not avaliable their.

I have a friend that sometimes sells to people in certain foreign countries.
Potential bidders ask if he is willing to ship over seas and if two or more bidders from foreign countries are bidding, it sometimes makes him lot's of money. He told me that he was only burned once about 6 years ago.

wrench man
08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Craig's List is no better. Some of the people ask a ridiculous amount of money for equipment that has been neglected for years.

A guy here had three presses and a box of junk listed Saturday, I went to look at it at his garage sale, the dies were all rusted beyond use, the presses were rusted and missing parts!?, and the brass and bullets had actual CORROSION!! on them, he marked it down from Friday, could have had it all for the bargain price of $750!:roll:

nicholst55
08-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Agreed on Craig's List; there's a lot of rusty junk offered there, just like on Fleabay. The locals have also started a firearms exchange on Facebook, where they buy, sell, and trade, and I laugh at most of the prices they post stuff for. Then of course there's always the lowball bidder - he offers '$200 cash, right now,' for nearly any gun listed for more than that. :roll:

I expect Facebook to shut the thing down at any time, just because. 'They're selling guns (and ammo, and soft body armor) on Facebook!!! :dung_hits_fan:

Kilroy08
08-14-2012, 10:59 PM
I noticed that too. I was watching a couple presses and at the last minute, they shot to $40.00 over new retail! And some of it was visibly damaged!!

Forget that! Between my C&R and Graf's, it's enough of a price cut that I'm sticking with new stuff.

mongo
08-15-2012, 01:05 AM
I purchased a Lyman 450 a few days ago for $63. An oldie, I had read that the new ones weren't as good as the old ones. I was about to get one from Midway last month when I started reading on them. I had been bidding for a few weeks before getting this one. Dont like to give e-bay any of my business but have been looking for a while and they had a few up for auction.

sav300
08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
I buy molds sometimes cause they are hard to get down here and scarce too.Some I buy on a wim to try out!
Dies and odd stuff too.

Char-Gar
08-15-2012, 10:32 AM
It is called "auction fever". It really has little to do with the value of the object. It is about not letting the other guy win it. It is long distance ego based combat.

Anyone prone to this condition, should never go near an auction of any kind. But, these are the folks that keep auctions going, fools though they be.

pistolman44
08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
I have to laugh, every time I bid on something it goes way over retail price, but when I try to sell something I never get a good price for the item. So it makes me think some sellers have people they know to bid to drive up the price of a item for them. I don't do Ebay anymore unless it's a buy now price.

Goatwhiskers
08-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Another crazy place is the seller's forum on louisianasportsman.com. Absolutely unbelieveable how they ask way more for used guns than the new price. Guess the world is full of greedy people and suckers. Ya know if it's got a little rust on it that makes it a valuable antique. GW

Wayne Smith
08-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I found it interesting that a guy has the CH/Hollywood shell universal shell holder at a Buy it Now of only $25.00! I bought it from CH delivered for a touch over $13.

LUBEDUDE
08-15-2012, 07:49 PM
There will be a certain press that I am trying to buy, and the same couple of guys keeps bidding and winning auction after auction!

How many "blank" brand presses do these guys need?

1hole
08-15-2012, 08:02 PM
"Who is buying this stuff off Ebay?? "

I dunno. They used to post who won but they stopped that. It's anybody's guess now.

"How many "blank" brand presses do these guys need?"

I dunno. See if you can send 'em a private message and ask them.

KohlerK91
08-15-2012, 10:44 PM
There will be a certain press that I am trying to buy, and the same couple of guys keeps bidding and winning auction after auction!

How many "blank" brand presses do these guys need?

I see the same thing on forums. (star Reloaders) Guys will buy everything that comes up for cheap. Really, a Star lube sizer with die for 100 bucks!!!!!!!??????They will get them sooooo fast that others that really want it to keep, dont even have a chance.

Char-Gar
08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
The guys that buy many items that are cheap and buying them for resale.

By low and sell high. This is the nature of the Free Enterpise system, the guy that gets there firstest with the mostest comes away with the lion's share. If you don't get these fast enough, don't blame those who do, just hurry up and don't poke around.

r1kk1
08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I've noticed this over bidding issue since the late 90s with other stuff too. If it is still being made, it always pays to price check. I lost several bids to a fellow in Montana how casts. He wanted certain used moulds that I wouldn't pay. Some of the bids were lost in the few seconds of the auction. eBay has changed some policies over the years but still. . . I use to do a lot of business on Gun Broker but after the last election, I watch sellers selling primers for unbelievable prices. That soured me. I don't knock collectors. I don't have a problem with fair profit. I will not participate unless I want to exercise patience. Sometimes I think the same thing has been relisted a number of times and I can't believe how educated are the sellers who deal in estate sells.

I look at various moulds that come up. Hard to part money on used moulds where the picture may or may not tell the whole story. I have bought a couple of them that required TLC to be able to cast. It's a risk I take for some D/C moulds.

I don't know who's buying what, but I think the election year is once again drive prices up once again.

Take care

r1kk1

Char-Gar
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
The value of anything is determined by what somebody will sell it for and another person will buy it for. That goes for gold, diamonds, lead, reloading tools and rocks.

I was taught this lesson as a child. I was also taught "A fool and his money soon are parted." I don't get upset if some fool is parted from his money, that is what happens to fools. I also don't get upset because there are sharks in the waters seeking to part a fool from his money. Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware) is a concept thousands of years old. Nothing new here.

I don't expect anybody to look after me, take care of me or give me anything. If I made a smart purchase, then good for me. If, I let somebody bend me over, then shame on me.

There is no fairness built into any system where things are bought and sold. There is just the buyer and selling playing by rules as old as the human race. Therefore Ebay with it's assortment of sharks and fools bothers me not in the least.

44Vaquero
08-16-2012, 02:27 PM
This one of those rare issues where I agree with everyone. LOL E-bay is a microcosm of the real world both good and bad.

gbrown
08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I had a thread on Molds about some of this. Some apparently took offense at my take on it. LOL There is a pre-war model 70 Floor plate and Trigger Guard on there right now for 235.00 last I saw. I guess it's rare and I guess somebody just got to have it. OO--K I have made some good buys and missed some. I was watching a used Star .452 sizing die and punch that went for $55.00 plus shipping. Lathesmith here sells die and punch for $53.00 shipping included!! BTW, I have purchased from Lathesmith and the workmanship is beautiful.

dragon813gt
08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Some people are from foreign countries and eBay is the only way they can get an item. Some items aren't in stock anywhere else at this time and they really want it. If that's the case they are willing to pay retail or slightly more to get it right away. There are also a lot of shill bidders that drive up costs trying to hook a rube.

I rarely use eBay but I couldn't care less what others pay. If I do bid I set a price and don't go over. I've had good luck with craiglist. I ignore the adds where people are asking to much. Deals come along often enough for me to keep checking regularly.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Huntducks
08-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Been selling & buying on ebay since 97 ( i miss the old days ) that said I know of someone who I got started on ebay who has 9 different shill bidders.

I bought a bunch of choke tubes at a Gander mt. store for $10ea 3 years ago, retail was from $39 to $59ea I started selling them in Feb. March before turkey season some went for over $90 $15 over today retail most were in the $75 range, I felt guility enought to give free shipping even thought I had $4 listed.

95% of the time CL is a joke since obama got elected, but once in a while you still find a bone bought a Dillon 550 in the box unused for $125 about 2 mo ago, I figured it was stolen by the area I was in, but a older guy and wife found it in the garage at a house they just rented, I saw it and got there first.

rromeo
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
It is called "auction fever". It really has little to do with the value of the object. It is about not letting the other guy win it. It is long distance ego based combat.

Anyone prone to this condition, should never go near an auction of any kind. But, these are the folks that keep auctions going, fools though they be.

I often hear someone say "I won this on eBay/gunbroker/etc". You didn't "win" anything, you bought it.

btroj
08-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care if someone else pays way too much for something?

Idiots abound, I don't always know the motivation. I just don't really care what others pay. I prefer to just control what I am paying.

Longwood
08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't care if someone else pays way too much for something?

Idiots abound, I don't always know the motivation. I just don't really care what others pay. I prefer to just control what I am paying.

I still do not understand how some people think they can beat my previously put up bid, by sitting and waiting too try and beat the speed of light with their finger.
Bwahahahaha,,, I won while doing something productive and they were sitting there wasting their time... Bwahahahaha,,,,
I guess some people just can't understand how the maximum bid setup works.
OK by me!

jcwit
08-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Plus Plus

But I fail to understand why one would spend money for an owners manual when the manufacturer is more than happy to supply you one for FREE.

500MAG
08-19-2012, 12:43 PM
I use to do a lot of business on Gun Broker but after the last election, I watch sellers selling primers for unbelievable prices. That soured me. I don't knock collectors. I don't have a problem with fair profit. r1kk1

Don't get me wrong, I still buy off ebay, I just do my homework. The only thing I don't like about Gun broker is that they will extend the time after a bid to allow others a chance to outbid you. That's not an auction. If you aren't there at the time it finishes, too bad.

Longwood
08-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I often hear someone say "I won this on eBay/gunbroker/etc". You didn't "win" anything, you bought it.

He was probably bragging that he won the bidding.
It is a phrase that I have heard at dozens auctions for over 60 years.

Longwood
08-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I see that the main reason people bitch about Ebay bidding is because they think it is set up like Grandpa's Farm auction was.

Well folks It ain't that way anymore.
They tried that, and it got thousands of complaints.
Soooo,,,, they came up with a better way that works extremely well.

How many of you know that the very first item sold on ebay was broken and did not work. Both parties knew that, so all was well and away it went.[smilie=w:

Black Powder Bill
08-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I checked this weekend and found old press's the same or more than a new one. Use to be a person could get a fair shake on a few items. Now days you'd think everything was gold plated.. RARE RARE is the cry of the flea-bay hawker's

abqcaster
08-19-2012, 02:19 PM
I get all my stuff from FS and Midway when they're on sale. I perused ebay for a whilebut was just shocked at what people were paying there. I guess its is cheaper for people outside of the US. :)

I get the occasional good deal on lead there though.

opos
08-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Agreed on E bay and on Craig's list but the one that really startles me is Gun Broker. The "asking prices" are nuts...only way to really tell what things are really bringing is to go to the advanced search and to completed items....but still...when the ammo "shortage" hit a few years ago and things like 380 were just not around...guys were paying $35-$45 a box for fmj 380 just to have something to shoot...now that stuff is about $15 a box or so. The old law of supply and demand. On the E bay thing...my Wife has a thriving E bay business but it's for antique glass items and you can't buy those at the store so it's whatever someone is willing to pay...but...there are folks that are just plain addicted to doing business on E bay and that's where they buy anythng and everything. They get used to the way of doing business...they think Paypal is just dandy and it's all easy without leaving home...many can't leave home or live in small towns where there are no stores of any size....I guess it fills a need for lots of folks.

km101
08-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I sold a mould on feebay recently that was a duplicate. A guy who did not know anything about casting bought it at abut $10 over new price! He is a glass blower (apparently with a lot of disposable income) and wanted it to try to make glass bullets! When I pointed out that the temperature of the glass was higher than the melt point of the aluminum blocks he said that he would try it any way and if it melted the blocks, Oh Well. As someone else has already suggested: "these guys are nuttier than a squirrel turn." It's their money, and they can spend it as they want, but is sure screws things up for the rest of us.

Kent Fowler
08-20-2012, 05:30 PM
The RCBS A2 that sold on ebay last month for over 600.00 still has me scratching my head. Someone must have wanted one awful bad.

44Vaquero
08-21-2012, 11:50 AM
E-bay is sometimes like passing a car accident, you don't want to look but you can't stop yourself!

Someone just paid over $300.00 for a Lyman 45 Lubesizer with a homemade 3 temp heater on it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300759286294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1256wt_958

GT27
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
More money than brains,mo!

Love Life
08-23-2012, 11:07 AM
I guess it all depends. There is the old saying about a fool and his money are soon parted, but it also comes to what YOU think an item is worth. If there was something listed that I couldn't find anywhere else, and I had the coin, you can bet I would bid until it was mine.

Now if it was a current production item then I would look elsewhere.

engineer401
08-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Someone is bidding $500 for a mold in current production 2-cavity mould with a single hollow point cavity on eBay. One can buy a 2-cavity mold from Midway for $65.99 and can get http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ to machine a hollow point cavity for $40.00. I don't get it but it is cheap entertainment. Take a look. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290761012867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

500MAG
08-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Jump on it boy's! What a bargain!!!
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/cagowans/lymanmold.png

Kiwishooter
08-25-2012, 04:45 AM
The RCBS A2 that sold on ebay last month for over 600.00 still has me scratching my head. Someone must have wanted one awful bad.

Was that this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-RCBS-A-2-Press-/110910853695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d2cd523f It was described as " Unused new in original box"........I imagine that was bought by a collector......it's the only reason I can come up with as you see other A2's sell for less than $200.

I got a new in the box Reloaders Special Kit with JR2 press, 7mm Mag dies, shell holder, lube and deburring tool for $76.00 and a new in the box Rock Chucker for $100.00......I thought these were quite good deals.
They were definatley better deals than buying a CH Champion press on here when it arrived I found the linkage pins and links worn the toggle hole oval and the toggle bolt worn.......and it was described in good condition.

I've bought a lot of stuff off Ebay and have always found I paid less than retail (by quite a bit in some cases) bought some things that aren't available here and the description has always been accurate............just my experience of Ebay.

7of7
08-25-2012, 11:34 AM
E-bay is sometimes like passing a car accident, you don't want to look but you can't stop yourself!

Someone just paid over $300.00 for a Lyman 45 Lubesizer with a homemade 3 temp heater on it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300759286294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1256wt_958

I saw that too... just plain nuts... a 50-60 dollar lubesizer, and a 250 home made heater setup?? idiots....

Nanook
08-25-2012, 06:21 PM
I can't quite figure it out. Either there are a ton more reloaders than I always figured, or it's the usual suspects all bidding for the same items.

Reloaders / handloaders I know are shall we say, frugal. Some of these prices are just nuts. It's got to be people new to the hobby.

Like others have mentioned, it's not unusual to see stuff going for more than retail. You would do better with Midway USA, Graf, or Powder Valley than Ebay.

I look once in a while, but rarely buy anything from Ebay.

mrb7
08-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Over the years I've bought a lot of stuff through eBay. But in the past couple of years it has gotten a bit crazy, as everyone has noted.

I'll concede that for MRO parts it sometimes makes sense to pay more than retail if it's the only one you can possibly find, and the OEM has a long lead time. But for hobby stuff? No way.

I haven't bought 1/10th as much in the past two years as I did prior to that.

PS Paul
08-25-2012, 07:22 PM
I guess it's like the old sales person's joke: "some like to pay $5.00 and some like to pay $10.00"

If you've ever watched Storage Wars or one of the other horrifying auction programs on television, there is a real excitement and sense of "winning" the bidders get when they outbid the others, often overpaying. Kind of like gambling, I suppose. Some just don't care about the deal if they can "beat" the other bidders! Just plain hilarious....

izzyjoe
08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
year's back when E-bay sold brass, and gun parts, i bought all i could afford, or what i thought i could resale. well along came the Panic buy of '09, and i made good money selling that brass at gunshow's. cause folk's thought it was the end! and a year before, you could'nt give that stuff away. P.T. Barnum said it best, there's a sucker born every minute! i'll admit that i've made some bad choices, on stuff that i got on Ebay, but in the end result i got some of my money back. 8-)

waksupi
08-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Sometimes that crazy bidding can pay off. There was a storage usnit sale here, for unpaid rental. One went for $400. One of the things in it was a cross bed tool box, for a pickup. The buyer gets it home, can't open the lock, so drills it. Inside, was eleven rifles in cases. Good score!

jethunter
08-25-2012, 08:12 PM
People who pay too much are good for the economy, as long as they don't drive up the prices for me. I bid on a lot fleabay stuff and occasiobnally i get some of it. Both my lube sizers were ebay purchases.

09-08-2012, 01:14 AM
i used to buy dillon tool heads on e bay about 4 years ago paid 67.50 for 3 650 tool heads with powder dies nowa days they pay retail plus and usally get charged way to much for shipping

Good Cheer
09-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Quit buying on ebay years ago when I figured out that rigging was almost the norm. Rigging works the same way you trap a monkey by putting the bait in the hole that's small enough that the monkey's fist won't come back out unless he lets go.

Shiloh
09-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I am a regular ebayer and look at all the reloading stuff at least twice daily. I can't believe how many reloading items sell for more than you can buy them new at the online suppliers. I hope none of the guys from here are buying that stuff at such a hiked rate.:shock:

That is why I don't win many auctions on E-bay.
P.T. Barnum was correct. There is a sucker born every minute.

Shiloh

Texinoz
09-10-2012, 08:21 AM
As per an earlier post, I buy stuff that might seem expensive to US residents - but many suppliers in USA do not ship overseas post 9/11 and you simply would not believe how expensive and hard to get reloading gear is in Australia. On average, it starts at 300% markup from US domestic pricing and it goes North from there...

LUBEDUDE
09-10-2012, 08:40 AM
As per an earlier post, I buy stuff that might seem expensive to US residents - but many suppliers in USA do not ship overseas post 9/11 and you simply would not believe how expensive and hard to get reloading gear is in Australia. On average, it starts at 300% markup from US domestic pricing and it goes North from there...

Man that's a shame. That's just down right price gouging.

44Vaquero
09-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Tex, is that due to VAT or just lack of importers?

mtnman31
09-13-2012, 12:44 AM
The one that I chuckle at: multiple eBay vendors selling gas checks for 65-85 dollars a box. Example - Lyman .44 cal gas checks $80.97 plus 5.84 shipping. It makes me wonder how often they actually sell items that are so over priced.

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
I've gotten some good deals on ebay but also am astounded how many times they approach of exceed retail
especially when some of the stuff is pretty beat, I guess people get fixed on their item and dang 'deir gonna get
it.

Walter Laich
12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm another that figures 60% is a good top bid if the item is in good shape