PDA

View Full Version : "Nyclad Bullits"

jim4065
05-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I bought 300 of these 158 gr SWC's on ebay. They seem to be a little big and the black coating is kinda "Rubbery". The seller claimed they were Nyclads, but who knows?

At any rate, I loaded a couple of rounds of 38 Special to see how they'd do. The loaded round is slightly fat - it won't chamber in an old S&W 1905 but will slide into the chamber of a 38 S&W New Police and the 357 Max H&R rifle. I figure I can always squeeze it in the factory crimp die if I want.

What good are they? Would they be used for high velocity loads? Are they supposed to penetrate better? Than what?

Anyone ever play with these things before? :roll:

Johnch
05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I shoot Nyclads in my old S&W 60 as my carry ammo
It isn't +P rated

The Nyclads ( factory 38 loaded ammo I have ) is a almost pure lead bullet
So it expands at the lower velosity of non +P loads

The nylon clading is susposed to stop leading and lower chamber presures

Some time back I remember Federal selling some bullet seconds
I bought a bunch of the 9mm Nyclad bullets
They shot fine , but had a cut or line in the Nylon just below the tip of the nose

I bet you got some oversized seconds

I would just run them thru a Lee push thru sizer
Maybe with a touch of spray case lube

Johnch

Bret4207
05-15-2007, 11:44 AM
The old Nyclad loads were pretty popular in backup guns a few years back.

J Miller
05-15-2007, 10:51 PM
jim4065,

I bought several thousand Nyclad bullets from an eBay seller a couple years ago. He stated in the text that they "might" need to be resized. That was an understatement. I ordered one of the push through press mounted sizing kits from Lee in .358" and resized all of them.
I've since shot them in both the 38 spcl and the 357 Mag. Decent accuracy, and they are cleaner than lead bullets.

There were two different colors of the Nyclad bullets. Black, and dark blue. I don't know why the difference, but other than that they are the same.
I "think" that under the nylon coating the bullets are the older style Hornady swauged bullets.

Joe