PDA

View Full Version : 657-2 Smithy

aarolar
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I just picked up a 657 smith and have a few questions about it.

It has a bulged cylinder that I intend to replace, is this just a drop in job or do I need a gunsmiths services? Also it has a fluted cylinder now I am kinda considering going with a non fluted when I replace it would there be any advantage? It looks like I can order it through my dealer or midway but I intend to call Smith and Wesson directly and see what they say, anyone ever ordered a major gun part like this from smith before?

theperfessor
08-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Never done it but I get the impression that fitting a cylinder to a DA revolver is not just a drop in proposition.

aarolar
08-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Anybody ever had trouble with smith and wesson not replying to emails? I sent them an email 2 weeks ago about this gun and haven't heard jack back from them.

Roundnoser
08-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I agree with the Perfessor about the drop in question. To be sure/safe, a gunsmith would need to check the timing, alignment, etc.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
I just picked up a 657 smith and have a few questions about it.

It has a bulged cylinder that I intend to replace, is this just a drop in job or do I need a gunsmiths services? Also it has a fluted cylinder now I am kinda considering going with a non fluted when I replace it would there be any advantage? It looks like I can order it through my dealer or midway but I intend to call Smith and Wesson directly and see what they say, anyone ever ordered a major gun part like this from smith before?

I would do as you suggested yourself.
e-mails can get lost, forgot, deleted, or forwarded to the wrong person.
Jon

aarolar
08-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Any private gunsmiths y'all would recommend to do such work?

ReloaderFred
08-21-2012, 12:44 AM
A phone call to Smith & Wesson is your best bet. I've always had good service from them, but it's always been via phone. I don't trust e-mail for this type of communication.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Combat Diver
08-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Concur, when in Afghanistan I sent some emails but always followed up with a phone call. I've also had one nonfluted 657 (Classic Hunter) cylinder and loved it. Give Smith a call.

CD