PDA

View Full Version : Calming a Rossi 92's overenthusiastic ejection...

Silvercreek Farmer
08-14-2012, 11:46 AM
My '92 is slinging my 44 brass forward and right about 6 feet or more. If possible, I would prefer it only clear the rifle by a foot so the brass ends up in a pile by my feet. Is there an easy way to do this? Would trimming the ejector spring a bit accomplish what I am looking for? I wouldn't want to do anything that affects reliability.

fishnbob
08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't call that a problem. If it hangs around too long in front of my face, I catch myself watching the brass instead of my target and miss too many follow up shots. You should be able to find your brass in a pile right of and 6 feet away as easy as laying right at your feet as long as you aren't shooting from a boat or shoreline. LOL!!! I have a Ruger Mini 14 that slings brass out at a 90 and anywhere from 20 to 30 feet. BTW, I take my metal detector to my shooting range.

wellfedirishman
08-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Shorten the ejector spring a bit, and it will drop them at your feet.

Even better, install a Gunslinger spring kit from Brownells, it really improves the action. I did that to both my cowboy guns and am very happy with the results.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't call that a problem. If it hangs around too long in front of my face, I catch myself watching the brass instead of my target and miss too many follow up shots. You should be able to find your brass in a pile right of and 6 feet away as easy as laying right at your feet as long as you aren't shooting from a boat or shoreline. LOL!!! I have a Ruger Mini 14 that slings brass out at a 90 and anywhere from 20 to 30 feet. BTW, I take my metal detector to my shooting range.

It ends up past the firing lane at the range, if it ends up in the sand or I can't reach it with their broom, it is gone:( I hear you on the Mini-14, I haven't recovered a single case from my Saiga .223!

HDS
08-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I cut the spring in mine, shells now drop around my feet.

fecmech
08-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Shorten the ejector spring a bit, and it will drop them at your feet.
You can also go to your local Ace hardware and get a spring with thinner wire for less than a buck. I did both of mine that way and now the shells drop about 2' to my right if I let them. Most of the time I just catch them in my right hand when they flip up in the air from the action.

Phillip
08-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Trimming the spring or heating it up a bit will work fine. If you want to do a few more things to it while you have it apart, Steves Guns has tune/tips DVD and parts kit.

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

btroj
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
At the range I generally cycle my Marlin slowly enou ha I need to dump the empty from the action. Speed isn't an issue and I don't need to pick cases up off the ground.
I do run it smartly at times but then I know I will be ending down to pick up brass.

joec
08-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I gave my 92 the Steve Gunz treatment from the DVD but left replaced the stock with the Gunslinger set I got at Brownells. It puts them on my had band if I'm wearing a hat or just on my right side at my feet. The DVD that comes with the Steve Gunz kit is worth the price period but did also add his factory safety plug also. Gun was painful to cycle after about 25 rounds and now I shoot 200 rounds and never feel it following his directions.

Now if I can find a metal magazine end to replace the plastic one in my Rossi Rio Grande I will be a happy camper as he doesn't sell them.

Four Fingers of Death
08-15-2012, 07:43 AM
MIne was a real pain like that, 6' in front, cleared the firing line and the straw bales, always landed just out of reach of the picker-upperer! It is my back up rifle and is in 38, so no biggie, they are dirt cheap! But, boy,if it was in 44/40 like I normally shoot, I'd really be howling, those suckers are expensive!

Silvercreek Farmer
08-15-2012, 09:54 AM
I tried capping the reciever with my left hand and just catching the brass at the range yesterday. Worked just fine, not too hot at all, just not as much fun!