PDA

View Full Version : Alox

aarolar
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Every time someone refers to alox in a lube recipe are they referring to lee liquid alox or is there just an alox for sale somewhere.

Sorry I put this in the wrong forum if a mod would please move it.

fryboy
08-13-2012, 05:42 PM
umm yeah wrong forum ( should be in the lube one ) usually isnt the word perhaps , because it does kind of depend upon context , examples being 50/50 beeswax/alox , that's the thicker kind and usually in reference to a older formula no longer made , the liquid stuff iirc is a solvent cutback of alox 606 ( or sum such number ) while todays current alox ( the chunkier kind ) is alox 350 , it by the way with a addition of some micro wax will equal ye olde alox but works fair in it's own right

aarolar
08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
umm yeah wrong forum ( should be in the lube one ) usually isnt the word perhaps , because it does kind of depend upon context , examples being 50/50 beeswax/alox , that's the thicker kind and usually in reference to a older formula no longer made , the liquid stuff iirc is a solvent cutback of alox 606 ( or sum such number ) while todays current alox ( the chunkier kind ) is alox 350 , it by the way with a addition of some micro wax will equal ye olde alox but works fair in it's own right

So you'd just use it exactly the same.

fryboy
08-13-2012, 06:01 PM
no sir , the liquid is much much thinner ( the solvent cutback figures heavily into this ) even without the solvent however there are other differences , as stated to make the modern alox 350 ( not the 606 ) equal ye olde alox the recipe calls for adding i believe 7% micro wax , but plain alox 350 works almost as good , in honesty i detest alox's smell so i use it as lil as possible in fact i much prefer FWWFL to alox or even speed green ( and i have a few of my own experiments i'm happily testing out )