PDA

View Full Version : Bonuses in wheelweight buckets?

Patrick L
08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
In my recent hunts for a lifetime supply of lead, I have been getting some neat little extras in my buckets. I thought it might be interesting to see what you've found, other than the usual wrappers, stems, razor blades, etc.

I the last several weeks, have gotten:

a six inch extension for a 1/2 inch drive air wrench, 19mm

a hose clamp
(not really a big deal except I was planning to run to the hardware store to buy one!)

A 1/4 inch allen wrench (can't have too many of those.)

A pair of Winchester shooting glasses
(debating whether to toss those or wash them REAL good and use.)

What have you gotten?

RobsTV
08-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Lucky you.

Now you have made more friends and ensured a good lead supply when you return those lost goods back to their owners!

Defcon-One
08-13-2012, 03:51 PM
I work in a tire shop here in upstate New York.

I was working the other day and I dropped a six inch extension for a 1/2 inch drive air wrench into the darn bucket. Then I leaned over to get it out and all the stuff in my shirt pocket fell into the bucket, too!

I had a hose clamp (not really a big deal except that I wound up having to run to the hardware store to buy one!), A 1/4 inch allen wrench (That is one less that I have now!) and a pair of Winchester shooting glasses (Just cleaned).

So, then the phone rang and I had to go answer it. When I got back about 10 minutes later Julio, the guy who cleans the shop, had given the whole bucket to some crazy guy who walked in and said he casts bullets and sinkers from wheel weight lead.

I don't really care about the Lead wheel weights, but I'd sure like to get my stuff back!

DC-1

:kidding:

GRUMPA
08-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Bonuses???? When I used to get WW in buckets I got the bad kind of bonuses, you know the slimy stuff people like NASA have yet to identify.

clintsfolly
08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Someone's weed stash in one bucket,balancer parts,WW pylers , good razer knife and bunch of zinc steel and junk!! Clint

fryboy
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
bet they'll never hide their stash there again lolz ( that's too funny and perhaps even poetic ) sadly i havent found anything worth keeping other than the ww's ( maybe some day tho ...)

KYCaster
08-13-2012, 06:16 PM
I once bought several buckets of WW from a recycler and every bucket had a disc brake rotor in the bottom of it.

A tire shop sold me a bucket of lug nuts with a couple of inches of WW on top.

I've found razor blades, used tobacco products, half eaten hamburgers, nails, screws, and various other garbage. The most unusual things I've found were panties and used condoms (not at the same place). :roll:

Jerry

dieguy59
08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Sometimes after being shut out. Just getting a pail of wheel wheights IS the bonus

hydraulic
08-13-2012, 09:25 PM
I get a partial bucket once a month from my ford dealer, and the guys throw the boxes the WW's came in into the bucket. They make great boxes for storing cast bullets.

mtgrs737
08-13-2012, 11:59 PM
I do get a few really nice high quality valve stem caps from time to time. Other than that nothing I would write home about, except for the razor blades be carefull sticking your hand in those buckets without looking first!

onehousecat
08-14-2012, 02:33 AM
Having a bit of OCD, I dump the bucket on the floor of my utility room and sort whatever is in it. I've only gotten minuses, zinc, steel, and such stuff.

bobthenailer
08-14-2012, 11:31 AM
One time a got about 5 craftsman 3/8 drive sockets! and they looked brand new to me.

fcvan
08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
25 years ago, when I lived in southern Ca, a tire shop opened and wasn't doing anything with their wheel weights. I asked, they were glad to get rid of them. I had some steel buckets I gave them to use. I was getting nearly a bucket a week. Since I was providing the buckets they didn't treat them like waste baskets so I wasn't blessed with valve stems, cigarette butts, and old wads of beechnut chew. Just a steady supply of wheel weights. The cheeseburgers coke and fries I brought probably had nothing to do with their willingness to let me have the wheel weights. No sir, I'm fairly certain. Frank

zomby woof
08-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I put an add on CL for lead a couple years ago. Guys says he has 1/2 bucket of WW for $20. I get there, sure enough a half bucket. I give him $20 and it takes the two of us to get it in my truck. Turns out the bottom of the bucket had all these five pound ingots in it with WW covering them up. Good deal.

Bill*
08-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Little brass valve stem inserts...loads of em. I think the place the weights come from change them on all the tires they balance.

evan price
08-15-2012, 04:56 AM
A Ford ignition module (The old aluminum box type), a fan clutch, spark plugs, wheel studs and lug nuts, an ARO disc sander, an air chuck blow gun, a screwdriver, and a floppy-head Snap-On ratchet.

sbeatty1983
08-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Someone's weed stash in one bucket,balancer parts,WW pylers , good razer knife and bunch of zinc steel and junk!! Clint

wonder how well the wacky weed would work as flux?:bigsmyl2:

imashooter2
08-15-2012, 09:00 PM
These days, lead weights in the bucket are a bonus...

WILCO
08-18-2012, 08:28 PM
What have you gotten?

One chromed valve stem cap. Now I've got bling and a bit of "pimp" on my ride.

Hal A Looyah
08-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I bought a 100 pound bucket from a Latino tire shop for
$20. Got home to find 50+ pounds of wheel studs and lug nuts, new in the packages, in the bottom.
Seems someone started tossing into the wrong bucket.
I took them back and got my $20.

ALWAYS pour wheel weights into a new bucket to see what's in there.

clintsfolly
08-19-2012, 10:06 AM
wonder how well the wacky weed would work as flux?:bigsmyl2:

Worked well but all the boolits shoot high!!!!!Clint

mold maker
08-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I found that about once a month, an extra large, pizza or 2 smaller ones, get me all the WWs they remove. If ya watch and get the pizzas when on sale it is a cheap reward for them looking out for me. I also return any tools etc that I find.

David2011
08-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Found a ball peen hammer that needed a new handle. I'm still using it. I hate to think what the actual cost per pound, after junk, would have been when a guy wanted $180.00 for a bucket and a half of unsorted WW. He claimed the scrap yard would give him almost $2/lb. The bonus was thanking him and leaving.

David

DarthTater
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Allen wrenches. I don't know what the deal is with them, but this year, I've picked out 15 or 20 allen wrenches, all 1/4", all really cheap. Maybe they come with some sort of kit that the shop is installing.

Also, quite a few chewed up "chrome" lug nuts. But the last two buckets were a real bonus - the guys at the shop sorted them into clip on and stick on and kept most of the steel and zinc out of them.

John in WI
08-20-2012, 07:12 PM
The shop I'm having the best luck with has been around since the 1950's. And I am AMAZED it hasn't burned down yet. Grease and oil, and oily rags everywhere. Grinding sparks, acetylene hoses... And in the buckets there is normally about 1/2 gallon of drain oil and about 4 cartons of cigarette butts.

Thanks for the warnings though--if the "found objects" range from razors unmentionables I need to be much more careful sticking my hands in there.

00buck
08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
I found a lead casting of a team of horses pulling an old west stagecoach in the bucket of wheel weights. The back scratched easily.. I'm pretty sure it isn't zinc.

I'm not going to melt it anyway.. I likes it :D

imashooter2
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
I found a lead casting of a team of horses pulling an old west stagecoach in the bucket of wheel weights. The back scratched easily.. I'm pretty sure it isn't zinc.

I'm not going to melt it anyway.. I likes it :D

That's probably pewter. Score!

badgeredd
08-22-2012, 12:00 PM

Now there's a flux that could make your smelting more fun!!!!!

Edd

Longwood
08-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I got a bucket of weights back in about 1980 that was from a shop that hired mexicans.
The tire area was out back.
The bucket probably had fifty roaches of bad mexican weed in it.

bowfin
08-22-2012, 12:17 PM
wonder how well the wacky weed would work as flux?

By the time it got worked into the mix, I'm guessing you would be past caring...