PDA

View Full Version : Medal tally

JeffinNZ
08-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Pretty happy to see the USA finish ahead of China in the medal tally from the Olympics. The Chinese are dodgy on a good day and some of the stories being leaked about how athletes are selected/taken from families does not bare thinking about. I suspect a few of the CN team will face the death sentence when they get home for not producing a medal. :(

Wee old NZ did rather well. 5 golds, 3 silver, 5 bronze. My hero is Mahe Drysdale for his gold in the single sculls. He got bronze in BJS even though he was violently unwell and had to be stretchered off at the end of the race. Mahe rocks!!!

The Aussies are giving us a hard time for winning so many events sitting down and looking in the wrong direction. I say that we are sooooo good we don't even need to look where we are going. :Fire:

Plate plinker
08-12-2012, 11:49 PM
I would say they are just lucky to have you kiwis for neighbors.:-o

MtGun44
08-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Congratulations on your country's medals. I think that the Olympians that work
and train for decades while paying for it themselves, or their parents only, are to
be admired a lot. And your guy working through his sickness shows amazing
spirit and committment.

As to China, they have 4 times our population (always a bit of an advantage due to
just random luck at getting a superior athelete) and have this military boot camp
type of training for children taken from their parents. Sounds hideous. Of course,
the US has the same population advantage over smaller countries.

I was impressed about a report of Jamaican runner Bolt stopping an interview to
turn and respect the flags of countries when there was a medal ceremony going
on nearby. This shows great character, honoring the flags of OTHER countries.
I know nothing beyond this about the man (well, he can run REALLY fast!) but
I think he is probably a good guy.

Bill

Frank46
08-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Wouldn't want to be the badminton players when they get home. Frank

JeffinNZ
08-14-2012, 04:53 AM
We picked up another gold today as the shot put "woman" from Belarus was striped of her gold for doping. I reckon they oughta gender test 'her' too!!! Anyways, our Valerie Adams now has back to back shot put golds.

Wal'
08-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Hey, you guys really done good. [smilie=s: much as it pains me to say it. :shock: :bigsmyl2:

Wal'
08-14-2012, 09:54 AM
I would say they are just lucky to have you kiwis for neighbors.:-o

Them sir, would be fighting werds. :brokenima

MtGun44
08-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Well done on recovering the gold for women's shot put.

Bill