PDA

View Full Version : M24/47

Newtire
05-11-2007, 08:40 AM
I have a question about my latest aquisition from Big-5 sporting goods. It's a Mauser M24/47. I just got all the grease off of and out of the barrel and everywhere else. I scrubbed out the chamber to see if there was any accumulated grease in there even.

What the "trouble" is is that the chamber seems to maybe be a bit tight. I guess I should get a "go-gauge" and find out. Is it common to find one that has been arsenal re-furbished with too short of a chamber?

It closes with a little resistance with even the extractor removed. With no shell in there, it just is slick as anything but even with new brass, I get a tight feel the last 1/8" or so of bolt closure. Any ideas?

Oldeyes
05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Look carefully at your brass to see if any marks are being left by chambering it; if the resistance is coming from the shoulder, you have "tight" headspace, if in the neck area you have a problem and a safety issue. I have not seen a short necked chamber yet but you never can tell....
Tight or minimal headspace is perfectly safe, the only problem being that some makes of ammo may not chamber easily or at all. If your rifle closes the bolt without excessive force just think of it as a "match" chamber!
Back before I broke down and bought an 8mm headspace gauge I used an assortment of 8mm cartridges as my gauges, checking the bolt play with each brand to see if they were within spec; if the bolt did not bounce back and forth more than a few thou it was good to go! If I remember correctly, the 50s Yugo ammo was the shortest length round, Ecuadoran and Turk the longest.

Just thought I'd add that a few rounds run thru your rifle may knock down any burrs or high spots on your bolt or receiver and headspace may rapidly become normal. Or not, try it.

45 2.1
05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Good thoughts from Oldeyes. It must be nice to get a tight chambered one. I wouldn't worry about tight headspace, but you need to check the neck area thoroughly. Fire a factory round and check what size bullet and boolit will re-enter the case neck. Flair it slightly and caliper it also for as fired ID. A throat slug attached to a fired case will tell you a lot also.

Newtire
05-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!

I have it all apart now and with this weekend being Mama's day, will be busy doing family things & all but will keep you all posted.