PDA

View Full Version : Question on Oberndolf Action

Pirate69
08-12-2012, 03:52 PM
I have a Model 98 action that I am trying to debarrel. It is marked as follows"

WAFFENFABRIK
OBERNDOLF

It appears to be a Large Ring Action. But I think I remember reading somewhere that these actions were Large Ring diameter but the threads were small ring diameter. Am I remembering something wrong?:confused: It has a band on the barrel that butts up to action. I assume that it is just soldered on? The barrel is in so tight that I am having trouble getting anything to hold the barrel without turning.[smilie=b: I made a good action wrench but it is not a lot of good if you can't hold the barrel. Still working, slowly, on it.

pietro
08-12-2012, 05:12 PM
AFAIK, the "ring" was turned integral with the bbl.

One way that a troublesome bbl can be removed is via cutting it off almost flush with the front edge of the receiver ring, then cutting the bulk of the stub out from the bore "out" with a cutting tool (in a lathe) to just before the tool hits the receiver threads,

That should relieve enough stress to remove the remaining bbl threads from the receiver threads.

Alternatively, If you're not trying to save the bbl being removed, use a pipe wrench to grip it.

leadman
08-12-2012, 08:09 PM
If you have the time place the receiver barrel down with bolt removed in a corner and spray penetrating oil in the receiver around the barrel. I've done this with several and after a couple of days they screw out fairly easy. I use Liquid Wrench.

flounderman
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
If you have a barrel vise, use some powdered rosin, powdered sugar, between the barrel andn the vise bushing. then if you have a proper fitting action wrench on the front receiver ring, put some pressure on it and hit the handle with a 2 or 3 lb hammer, sharply and it should break loose. the impact will loosen more than just putting pressure on the handle will. If you have kroil oil, it wouldn't hurt to soak it but shouldn't be neccessary. Kroil is the ultimate penetrating oil .

flounderman
08-12-2012, 09:05 PM
the large ring actions with small ring threads were turkish and had a flange on the front of the receiver ring that held the handguard.

Multigunner
08-13-2012, 01:29 AM
I have a Model 98 action that I am trying to debarrel. It is marked as follows"

WAFFENFABRIK
OBERNDOLF

It appears to be a Large Ring Action. But I think I remember reading somewhere that these actions were Large Ring diameter but the threads were small ring diameter. Am I remembering something wrong?:confused: It has a band on the barrel that butts up to action. I assume that it is just soldered on? The barrel is in so tight that I am having trouble getting anything to hold the barrel without turning.[smilie=b: I made a good action wrench but it is not a lot of good if you can't hold the barrel. Still working, slowly, on it.

Is this a military or a sporting rifle action?

The Large ring was orginally developed for the interupted thread quick take down barrel sporting rifle around 1896, then adapted to the Gew98 without interupted threads to take advantage of greater strength and rigidity compared to the small ring.

If a 1920 marked action its post WW1 manufacture, or finished out from earlier receivers still in stock.

If a sporting rifle action check to see if the cocking piece and firing pin is threaded rather than the military style lugged pin.

A image of the receiver and the barrel at the ring would help.

PS
A friend sometimes used hardwood blocks routed to fit the barrel and bonded the barrel to the blocks using some sort of expoxy to strengthen the hold.

To break loose a stubborn barrel I've seen him heat the barrel and melt an unusual amount of hardened grease mixed with decades old fowling that ran from the join. The barrel came free fairly easily then.
One must not heat the barrel or receiver ring much past the point of being uncomfortable to touch with bare hands, otherwise heat treatment may be compromised.

Be careful, and if it takes an excessive amount of force to break it loose you might do better to have a professional gunsmith with plenty of experiance do the job. The old saying "the workman is worth his hire" is something to remember.

Dutchman
08-13-2012, 03:12 PM
This action belonged to a Gewehr 98 German infantry rifle from World War 1.

The 1920 date refers to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Versailles .

Restrictions on the manufacture of machine guns (e.g. the Maxim machine gun) and rifles (e.g. Gewehr 98 rifles).

Wave bye-bye to another tiny piece of history [smilie=s:

Pirate69
08-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Dutchman,
I agree with your feelings about modifying a rifle. However, this one was "sporterized" when I bought it in the early 1970's for $25. Wish it was anywhere close to original and did not have a sewer pipe barrel.:cry: