PDA

View Full Version : old army accuracy loads.....

mainiac
08-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Whats your most accurate load in the oldarmy?

Ive been shooting my new toy alot lately.Im down to pretty near 2 inch 6 shot groups@ 25 yards,but ive heard that these things shoot incredibly tight groups,,so im trolling for a short cut!!!

Ive tryd alot of stuff so far,but it seems that 40gr 3f goex,or 35 3f shuetzen,,with a wool wad between ball and powder,and my homecast .457 ball,,is the most accurate for me.

I havent dealved into fillers and such yet,,but thats my next trial.

The lee conical boolit that is made for the oldarmy,shoots a little tighter then the roundballs,but there a real pain to get started into the cylinder,so id like to stay away from them,

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I've shot a couple of conicals, neither of which are as accurate as a round ball in the old army when it's in my hands. I suspect there are techniques to loading the conicals so they are always straight and not deformed...cuz I suspect that is my problem.
ANYHOO,
.457 round ball, I can't recall how tight my groups were, but the most accurate load for me is 25 gr. BP topped with 15 gr. of corn meal. I use Bear grease to seal the ball.
Jon

mainiac
08-12-2012, 03:46 PM
I've shot a couple of conicals, neither of which are as accurate as a round ball in the old army when it's in my hands. I suspect there are techniques to loading the conicals so they are always straight and not deformed...cuz I suspect that is my problem.
ANYHOO,
.457 round ball, I can't recall how tight my groups were, but the most accurate load for me is 25 gr. BP topped with 15 gr. of corn meal. I use Bear grease to seal the ball.
Jon

Guess this is where im headed.I gotta try the filler.Any charge under 30 grains,even with a wool wad,and the plunger/seater rod,cant reach down in the cylinder far enough to compress.
How much of a mess does the corn meal make?

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-12-2012, 05:49 PM
How much of a mess does the corn meal make?
the mess I get is from using the bear grease in warm weather, one of these days I gonna mix some with beeswax for my cylinder seal.

I use the coarsest corn meal I can find, it's about like 2F BP.
No mess at all, but it's a little bit of a pain to double up on flasks and powder measures.
What I do is use a TC clear powder flasks [see link] so I don't confuse it with the BP.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/790582/thompson-center-u-view-black-powder-flask-clear-polymer
I also make a dual, fixed powder measure using a 9mmluger case and a 40 case...or maybe is was a 45acp case. Then modified them to hold my desired powder charge and cornmeal charge.