PDA

View Full Version : Hey, sasquatch-1

44man
08-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I tried the bullets you left and this was the best I could get at 50 yards.
Two different loads shown but the worst were not as good.
I don't now if they are too small. Can you lap the die?

Sasquatch-1
08-13-2012, 06:43 AM
They are .4290. I can't lap it without getting new punches to match the new diameter. That would be just way to expensive.

44man
08-13-2012, 09:15 AM
I believe the horizontal dispersion was from my .430" groove and .4324" throats. The load seems good with the least vertical.
I aimed lower for the last group to get on paper.
I would like to see the dies. I am not sure you need another nose punch for a few thousandths. Just to go to .430" is only a half thousandths each side.

Sasquatch-1
08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I would like to see the dies. I am not sure you need another nose punch for a few thousandths. Just to go to .430" is only a half thousandths each side.

If the punches do not fit perfectly the lead will bleed up the side of the nose. Punch fit is very critical. Probably one of the reason the thing are so expensive.

44man
08-13-2012, 04:06 PM
If the punches do not fit perfectly the lead will bleed up the side of the nose. Punch fit is very critical. Probably one of the reason the thing are so expensive.
Is there a bleed hole in the center of the nose punch or at the side?
The dies I had always had a bleed hole.
I worry about the cases used anyway, they are not large enough to start with. I do not think they will expand. Standard is only .424". I measured a rim on your bullet and the lowest is .4254" with a high side of .429". Well within standards of the rim diameter. But not so good for a bullet base.
At the expansion ring they are .4289". The upper part near the ogive is .430 to .4306".
Looks like the dies will do it but the case bottom can not be brought up.

Sasquatch-1
08-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Is there a bleed hole in the center of the nose punch or at the side?
The dies I had always had a bleed hole.
I worry about the cases used anyway, they are not large enough to start with. I do not think they will expand. Standard is only .424". I measured a rim on your bullet and the lowest is .4254" with a high side of .429". Well within standards of the rim diameter. But not so good for a bullet base.
At the expansion ring they are .4289". The upper part near the ogive is .430 to .4306".
Looks like the dies will do it but the case bottom can not be brought up.

I am having no problem with them filling out the rifling in the barrel. Good markings on all cases I recovered, including the rim area. When we get together again I will bring some case and some of the bullets over so you can see them. If I have any revoered lead I will bring a couple of them also.

44man
08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
I am having no problem with them filling out the rifling in the barrel. Good markings on all cases I recovered, including the rim area. When we get together again I will bring some case and some of the bullets over so you can see them. If I have any revoered lead I will bring a couple of them also.
Great. I want to figure it out. The bullets are so great looking.
My concern is they do not touch the bottoms of the grooves in my gun.