PDA

View Full Version : ID at Airport

Beau Cassidy
08-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Off on yet another adventure.... except today it started off kinda slow. You have to understand that when going thru security I have always shown my concealed carry permit for ID. Why you ask? Well- just because I can. As a matter of fact I did so at the same airport 5 days ago and 2 days ago in Missoula, MT. One TSA guy a year or so ago questioned it but his supervisor said it was good to go because it was a gub'ment issued ID. Not so today.

The lady in blue checking IDs today is not known for her stunning, open personality. Having witnesses both first and second hand accounts of this in the past assured me of that. Today she was the Wal Mart greeter of TSA and I am sure she was having a delightful day. Having whipped out the 'ol CC permit she asked if I had a driver's license. Standing there stunned for a second I thought about telling her "No- but I do have a prison ID". Lets just say I nixed that idea given the charming sneer projected in my general direction. Out comes the license and on my way I do- or so I thought.

When scanning my carry on bag the x-ray gafuns kept running my carry-on thru the x-ray. Usually they send me on my way but not day. Out comes the sniffer. Now if you think I can pass the sniff test after being in my general surroundings, well, let me just tell you- it ain't gonna happen! "Sir I need to go thru your bag. Empty your pockets. Take your shoes off. We need to perform a pad down on you." Glad I get to see my tax dollars spent on me, huh? The guy canvassing my BVD's was kinda cool but had to wave his magic wand over everything to include skid marks. I came out clean in that respect and he sent me on my way. He took a glance at Precision Shooting and Handloader magazines in my computer bag and probably only then understood why I alarmed.

The personal space violator did tell me there had been a question about the use of a concealed carry permit as an official gub'ment ID for getting on planes. The TSA dudes at this particular airport ran it up the food chain and was told that in fact, no, a person can't use a CC permit for an ID when getting on a plane. ***? I didn't get it in a Cracker Jack box, dudes? With that said, it will remain the first item coming out even at this airport.

odfairfaxsub
08-12-2012, 11:22 AM
well as long as its a state issued id with picture on it and all pertant info as to who you are and where your from then that should be good enough. i can use my military id with everything on it so why can't a picture id ccw work as well. my ccw has no picture of myself on it so it makes it a cracker jack prize at air ports or such that will reqiure to know who i truely am.

gray wolf
08-12-2012, 11:47 AM
no comment

Larry Gibson
08-12-2012, 12:09 PM
TSA and all government agencies will be the 1st to tell everyone they don't "profile". Yet what was this?

Larry Gibson

5shotbfr
08-12-2012, 12:10 PM
exactly why if i cant get there on my feet or driving im not going

44man
08-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I worked for UAL 42 years. 911 changed everything. ID and everything but they searched my lunch bucket. Confiscated my fork and nail clippers. Been around aircraft most of my life but my fork almost gave them fits. Mechanics could not have a screwdriver. You need strong fingernails to fix airplanes.
We were harassed as bad as passengers while rag heads ( Don't confuse Indian Sihks (spelling), good people.) working food service parked at the food building and never went through security. Air freight workers parked at the freight building and never went through either.
Now parking at Dulles is way out on another road so mechanics are picked up by other mechanics in a truck so they can bring tools back and forth.
Security is nothing but a joke. I refuse to ever fly again even though for a long time I could fly free.
Boeing has developed a system so the pilot just pushes a button and the plane is taken over from the ground. NOBODY can over ride it.

RU shooter
08-12-2012, 01:20 PM
well as long as its a state issued id with picture on it and all pertant info as to who you are and where your from then that should be good enough. i can use my military id with everything on it so why can't a picture id ccw work as well. my ccw has no picture of myself on it so it makes it a cracker jack prize at air ports or such that will reqiure to know who i truely am. Around here(Pa.) your LTCF is issued by the county sheriff where you reside not the state . It may differ state to state I'm sure. I hate airports to begin with so I just flip out the passport so I can get my shoes back on a quickly as possible and be on my merry way .

Moondawg
08-12-2012, 02:12 PM
If I can't drive there and back, than I don't need to go. I refuse to fly and put up with the Idiot's at TSA, ideas on security. I may not be able to change the way they do things, but I still have the freedom to NOT utilize their demeaning services.

9.3X62AL
08-12-2012, 02:31 PM
That's good to know about the Boeing aircraft, 44 Man.

The TSA wonks REALLY go berserk over my plastic leg braces. Without fail, it takes 10-12 minutes of hemming and hawing by TSA before they deign to allow me to board. It's good to know that TSA is keeping the skies clear of passengers with peripheral nervous system disorders.

But it isn't just the USA--a Canadian security wonk in either Calgary or Edmonton in June 2010 decided my badge case contained a "throwing star"--and destroyed the case while rifling its contents. Maybe she got a speeding ticket while enroute to work that morning--I dunno.

I avoid air travel, if at all possible.

Wayne Smith
08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Your CCW is a picture ID? Mine is just a card with info on it, no pic.

Beau Cassidy
08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Mine is a picture ID from the state. I just got to Boston Logan where I had to leave one secure area and go into another. I went thru using my CC permit as ID without a problem. If any place were to question that I would have figured it would be this place. I did check the bag that was gone thru because I am on a cropduster size plane this leg of the trip. This time I was randomly selected for screening at security. While I was expecting another touchy feeley all they did was swab my palms.

Down South
08-12-2012, 03:51 PM
CCW cards differ from state to state. Mine looks more like a driver's license and is issued by the State Police "Louisiana". It does have a photo on it that resembles me.
I have a TWIC card "Transportation Workers Identification Credential" that I use for airport ID sometimes just to be different. This card is issued by the US Government and has a chip in it for some strange reason that I don't remember.

MtGun44
08-12-2012, 06:04 PM
KS CCW cards are nearly identical to DL, comes from the same dept and same machines.
Just different words across the top, same background paper, seals, lamination, etc.

I've used mine for check or credit card ID.

Bill

Charley
08-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Texas CHL is a photo ID, accepted everywhere at state/local level. Can be used as an ID for absentee voting. Most ironic thing is the special status it gives one to enter the state capitol. Other ID's must go thru security, CHLS get a special line, and are in a minute or two, vs. 30 minutes to an hour sometimes. Lobbiests and others whose business takes them into the capitol regularly all went and applied for CHLs because of that.

JeffinNZ
08-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I use my firearms licence for I.D. on principle. It is guvmint issued and in theory holding of such makes me a more reliable soul than any Joe Bloggs with a driver's licence. Oh, and it's funny.....

Plate plinker
08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
The Indiana permits are pink in color to further emasculate us men. Oh and no photo.

gofastman
08-12-2012, 07:08 PM
I may not be able to change the way they do things, but I still have the freedom to NOT utilize their demeaning services.:goodpost:

waksupi
08-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I had an amusing incident last year. I needed to renew my Canadian firearms licenses, and the RCMP sent a request for a background check on me. I had a current FBI check, and sent them a copy of that. They sent it back, and told me they needed one from my local county sheriff. I didn't even try to explain if the sheriff had anything on me, the FBI would darn sure know about it.
Anyway, in to the the sheriff's office I go. They wanted to see an ID, so I slid in my concealed weapons permit. It has my picture on it, and was issued from that office. I was told they do not recognize it as an official ID!

winchester85
08-12-2012, 09:39 PM
my bank, (where i have banked for about 15 years) had a new teller that wanted to see my ID. she wouldnt accept my CCW. it has a picture on it and looks pretty official.

TJF1
08-13-2012, 09:39 AM
try to go through sec. at the airport after having a knee
replaced lol. terry

rexherring
08-13-2012, 09:47 AM
In North Dakota it is issued only after the police, sheriff, and BCI does background checks. So, it should be better than a drivers license anywhere that anyone can get.

08-13-2012, 10:45 AM
In the same vain as the encounter waksupi had with officialdumb in idiotocracy land, I was returning from teaching at the Federal Law Enforcement facility in New Mexico by way of a connecting flight in Houston. I was deep in conversation with another instructor as we passed through the screening and at first didn't notice the abject panic the two or three screener's seemed to be experiencing. They pulled me aside and asked if I were a heart patient? No. They asked if I took regular medications? No. In the midsts of their stammerings, now that my conversation had been interupted, I looked to the more senior looking security guard and said, "If you have a question, just ask it." The reply wanted to know if I worked with explosives. I informed them that I worked on an active firearms range and that's when I noticed they were about to swab my brief case. Ah ha!! I figured it out. They got a hit on my brief case. They asked for ID and I produced tons. Drivers licence, gun permits, Federal creds. At this point I was quite jovial and cooperative. I offered, as they never asked, them to please open my case if it was a concern. They defered. They looked at my ID's, called a supervisor, looked at my ID's, huddled in conference when I offered again to open the brief case or have them open it. I really didn't care. Soooooooooooooo, after getting a hit on the case and then being presented with some ID's, they smiled and passed me through. Never checked out the case. Unbelieveable. Of course they should have opened my case, but timid, over the shoulder nervousness and professional ineptitude keep them from doing their duty. More worried about a complaint than doing their job. Why are they even there? Hint -- Paycheck is an incorrect answer.

theperfessor
08-13-2012, 01:47 PM
I refuse to ride ANY public transportation except a cab, with me only or at least with one or two other people I personally know. No subways, busses, planes or trains. Hacks off the wife and my boss sometime. She hates driving or riding and would fly everywhere. My boss schedules "Day on the bus" events where a gaggle of faculty go to local businesses on a good will tour, and I tell him I'll meet them wherever they go, but my irrational phobia (yep, I know that's what it is) won't let me step on a bus. Hard to explain and not worth the time and trouble to straighten out in my brain. At least I don't need anything beside my DL and carry permit (which really is pink and has no picture) to navigate in Indiana. Haven't been groped getting into my truck yet!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-14-2012, 10:53 PM
ours in Wisconsin are plain white , DOJ seal ,state seal and our info , they must be carried with a Wisconsin state id or drivers license

here they have become the thing to have if you do private party face to face gun sales purchases show them your white card and they know they aren't selling to a bad guy, it makes seller happy they get your $ and a clear conscience.

runfiverun
08-14-2012, 11:37 PM
keith you aren't the only one with an aversion to public transport.
and especially buses, i would rather [and have] walked across salt lake city [8 hour walk] rather than take a 2 hr bus ride.

Edub
08-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Some of you may be interested in this: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed-carry-permit-examples.html It's not up to date but, it's still interesting.

Ed K
08-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I also avoid air travel. In June I traveled for the second time since 9/11. I was traveling with a large amount of cash that I was not about to send off in the carry-on to be x-rayed and possibly travel out of my sight. I was told that I could have nothing on my person while proceeding through the full-body scanner so I pulled out the envelope and held it openly in my hands. When motioned to exit the scanner, the TSA agent met me with outstetched hands. The money was removed from its' enveloped, counted, checked for substances and then passed to another agent for a double-check all in plain view of the other passengers. I certainly was left with the impression these people are patsies for the Treasury/IRS. Not to mention leaving the security area bearing the label: he's "carrying"!

nicholst55
08-18-2012, 03:30 PM
The TSA wonks REALLY go berserk over my plastic leg braces. Without fail, it takes 10-12 minutes of hemming and hawing by TSA before they deign to allow me to board.

try to go through sec. at the airport after having a knee
replaced lol. terry

I can relate. I flew from South Korea to Baltimore and back in 2010 while wearing a knee immobilizer. For those unfamiliar with it, it's essentially a leg brace that adjusts the limits of movement that the knee is allowed to make. Think ballistic nylon and a lot of aluminum.

Going, I was perfectly up front; I wore cargo shorts, so they could see the bloody thing. Serious mistake! I was swabbed and patted down, but only after reaching San Francisco. Security in Korea couldn't have cared less about it! My god people, it's a leg brace!!

Returning to Korea, I removed the stupid thing and put it in my backpack while I went through security, then put it back on afterwards. I still had to explain to them what it was. No, it's not bicycle pedals, it's a leg brace!

Interestingly, they didn't even scan my cane. But I feel so much safer.

10-x
08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Wonder if they accept a VA card? Regardless, I'm not putting up with the BS at any airport. I'm not some dirt bag criminal and will not be treated as such. As mentioned before, I'll drive or just won't go. Our RV is way more comfortable to travel in than going to the airport, waiting for hours, getting "felt up" clothes and carry on's dumped and pillaged through. The tsa has the mentallity of a deposit my dog left in the back yard last week.........

JIMinPHX
08-20-2012, 12:46 AM
I've gone through TSA shortly after spending a few hours at the reloading bench & not had their detector go off, even though I had flakes of Bullseye visibly present on my clothes. I've also had their little sniff detector go off for no apparent reason when I was on my way home from a 2-week trip & my clothes had been washed by a laundry service. I don't know what those things are supposed to be testing for, but they don't seem to work very well on smokeless powder.

As for ID, those rules seem to be very open for local interpretation. I've seen a person in front of me tell them that she "ain't got no ID". She was pulled aside & I continued through. About 15 minutes later, I saw the same woman standing by one of the gates, ready to board.

Also, those guys seem to make up their own rules whenever they feel like it. I fly a lot & I get a different story on any given subject all the time. A good example would be one day that I was flying out of EWR with a shotgun. I had just checked all the rules the day before. I printed out all the rules & brought the paper copy with me. The guys there just did what they wanted to, which was exactly different from what the rules said. The rules said that I was supposed to lock the case & keep the keys. The rules went on to say that I was supposed to be present & watch as they open the case & check that the gun is unloaded. These guys insisted that if I wanted to get on a plane at "their airport" then I had to give them my keys so that they could take my case in the back where I wasn't allowed to be & they would return the keys when they were done.

Down South
08-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I "Have" to fly on occasion. So, I have to put up with the rules regardless of how much I dislike some of them. I've also learned to get to the airport early. I was catching out of Hobby in Houston a while back. I got to the airport about 1-1/2 hrs early, TG. The line to Security was backed up all the way to the ticket counters. My plane was boarding when I got to the gate.

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-20-2012, 02:36 PM
I flew out of Albuquerque, NM, in April. No problems with security or ticket agents with me checking and declaring my two handguns. No problem in Seattle on the return. It is fortunate that not all TSA and airline personnel try to make life difficult.

Jim Flinchbaugh
08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
So, In 2 weeks when I fly to Alaska to go fishing, you guys are telling me I shouldn't load up 10,000 rounds of 357 and and go to the range the the day before I leave? :mrgreen:

Silvercreek Farmer
08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Standard procedures can be gamed. The apparent ineptitude of TSA employees is really just a guise to keep the terrorists from figuring out the actual procedures and exploiting weaknesses!

I flew out of our small local airport for the first time a few years back. We showed up the two hours early necessary to clear the security line we were used to back at the regional airport. It took exactly 4 minutes to clear security from the moment I stepped in line. Left plenty of time for cold beverages before the flight!

punkinlobber
08-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I used to fly as a bush pilot for a commercial operation in Alaska. I would fly out of Anchorage and serve villages and work camps along the west side of the Cook Inlet. I was taking some bear hunters down the coast to the native village of Tyonik (really neat people there and I miss them). We had no TSA at our airfield. It was up to us to secure our flights. A state representative from a central eastern state was one of the hunters. On his hip was a Glock in a hip holster. As I walked him out to the plane (C-207), I asked him what caliber it was. He responded that it was a 10MM. I said wow! "Drop the magazine and remove the round from the pipe". He was a little confused but he complied. When I opened the cargo door and told him to put all ammo in his bag, he complied but under protest. I told him that he could keep his firearm on his hip if he so liked. He was beside himself. He asked what this was all about, after all, he was in Alaska. I told him that in Alaska, you can't carry more gun than the pilot.

seanhagerty
08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
THis page contains a listing of acceptable govt ID's

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-20-2012, 06:28 PM
THis page contains a listing of acceptable govt ID's

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

Nothing like the facts.

Thanks for clearing things up.

8mm
08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
I am a retired airline pilot. Though I can fly "free", I will not because putting up with the arbitrary nonsense inflicted by TSA empowers a government that has desensitized us out of our Constitutional rights in the name of the illusion of "safety".

Prior to 911, security at my home base (a major airport in the northeast) was was handled largely by barely literate "rent- a- morons". Today that same group constitutes TSA enforcement officers. This could explain variations in standards of airport security depending on geographic location and personal qualifications of TSA employees.

JIMinPHX
08-20-2012, 06:47 PM
So, In 2 weeks when I fly to Alaska to go fishing, you guys are telling me I shouldn't load up 10,000 rounds of 357 and and go to the range the the day before I leave? :mrgreen:

You're allowed to bring up to 11 pounds of ammo on most domestic flights, unless the airline has different rules or the TSA guy on duty decides to make up new rules by himself that particular day.