PDA

View Full Version : Oooh, how spoiled I've become

Jim
08-12-2012, 09:14 AM
What with arthritis in my elbows, it's not only difficult, it's down right painful to hold my cell phone up to my ear to talk. So, I bought one o' those 'blue tooth' things. Man, that sure makes it easy and my elbow doesn't start hurting after two minutes.

The other day, I went to take the thing off my ear and that little plastic hook that holds it in place broke. Dang.

I think I've located a Verizon store where I might get a new one. In the three days since I've not been able to use it, I've come to realize how spoiled I've become with the luxuries and conveniences this modern life has brought me. Blue tooths, microwave ovens, cruise control, etc., etc...

Even in handloading, shooting and hunting, there are things that make life so much easier for us. Electronic trickler scales, electric tumblers, battery powered chronies, dot sights, night vision scopes,.....

If we lost all these things in the blink of an eye, I bet you could hear the wailing a mile away.

WILCO
08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I've come to realize how spoiled I've become with the luxuries and conveniences this modern life has brought me.

I hear ya Jim. My microwave took a dump on me. Now I have to boil my potatoes, use a steam kettle for coffee and look at my watch for the time.

1Shirt
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Ya get a real reminder when the electricity goes off!
1Shirt!

Jim
08-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Ya get a real reminder when the electricity goes off!
1Shirt!

Boy, ain't THAT th' truth!

Bad Water Bill
08-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Ain't so modern a convenience but might work. Use a clothes pin to hold the thingie to your ear.

Or better yet for the older generation, go to bed and put the thingie between your ear and the pillow.

You younger folks will not have a problem with that but beware sometimes REAL seniors might drift off in the middle of a sentence. :kidding:

Wayne Smith
08-12-2012, 02:46 PM
The only electronic thing in my reloading room is a trimmer. That is a drill motor. Casting, that's another story, although mine is gas the vibratory cleaner is electric, as are the lights.

a.squibload
08-13-2012, 02:31 AM
My ear clip broke off too, replaced it with welding wire through the hole.
The new clip was not too bad but the bluetooth thing doesn't work so well,
I don't even use it any more.

lead-1
08-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Ain't so modern a convenience but might work. Use a clothes pin to hold the thingie to your ear.

Or better yet for the older generation, go to bed and put the thingie between your ear and the pillow.

You younger folks will not have a problem with that but beware sometimes REAL seniors might drift off in the middle of a sentence. :kidding:

LOL, I'm only 48 and I wouldn't want to guess how many times I've woke up holding the cell phone with a half typed message wating to be sent.

Jim
08-13-2012, 05:51 AM
I can't explain it, but I have the greatest disdain for texting. If I have something that needs to be communicated by text, I'll send an email. Otherwise, I call 'em on the phone. Me an' that texting don't work together well.

captaint
08-13-2012, 06:42 AM
I don't know how many people have asked " You don't text?? " No, if I want to talk to somebody, I'll call them. Simple. I don't get all the texting business. But then, I'm old, compared to most of them, anyway. Ha enjoy Mike

mold maker
08-13-2012, 06:45 AM
The phone buttons are too small, and my thumbs are way too big, to text. If I tried, it would look like code written for some exotic PC program.
Yes I have awakened with the phone (or book, paper) in my hand, wondering what I was about to do. Maybe the result of a dream I can't remember. Ha Ha, Seniority does have it's privledges.
I'm sure every generation, since that wise old dude flew a kite in a storm, has felt inslaved to the products of electronics.
Today we couldn't even make our way to the potty witrhout night lights.
Where would we be without it?????

Bret4207
08-13-2012, 08:03 AM
I don't text, I think I've sent 2 over the years. We don't do phone calls after 7:30-8:00PM other than emergencies. Other people do things differently, but our way works for us.

dragonrider
08-13-2012, 09:24 AM
I can't explain it, but I have the greatest disdain for texting. If I have something that needs to be communicated by text, I'll send an email. Otherwise, I call 'em on the phone. Me an' that texting don't work together well.

+1 on that, I hate texting with a passion.

Moonie
08-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I've got 8 kids, if it weren't for texting I'd have no communication with the ones that are grown and on their own. I do have a phone that is very easy to text on, I send over 1,000 a month, well over.

pdawg_shooter
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Could be worse, I dont even own a cell phone. Hate the darn things!

Freightman
08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Try losing your air conditioner when the temps are running 105+ every day, talk about gowning and complaining and that wasn't me, took a week and a half to get a new one. The temps stayed at 105 + all the time. If I hadn't known the contractor it would hav been worse, he said he had work to keep him busy till he couldn't go anymore and was two to three weeks behind. He also said the warehouses were out of everything and waiting

Bret4207
08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Try losing your air conditioner when the temps are running 105+ every day, talk about gowning and complaining and that wasn't me, took a week and a half to get a new one. The temps stayed at 105 + all the time. If I hadn't known the contractor it would hav been worse, he said he had work to keep him busy till he couldn't go anymore and was two to three weeks behind. He also said the warehouses were out of everything and waiting

Whats an "air conditioner"? :grin:

Bad Water Bill
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Whats an "air conditioner"? :grin:

Sure must be nice to have money to throw away like that.

Just open my windows and hope for a breeze. Much cheaper and no maintenance :bigsmyl2:

Jim
08-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I inherited my Moma's low tolerance for heat. Ain't no way I could sleep at night without an A/C when the night time lows are over about 70. Cold? Bring it! Janet and I sleep with the bedroom window open during January and February.

wgr
08-13-2012, 03:26 PM
what would happen if we had to order every thing through the mail.wow we would have to wait a extra two weeks for orders

Wayne Smith
08-14-2012, 10:20 AM
In addition I'm not on Facebook since it's way to open for someone in my profession. I'm not a twit so I don't tweet! Email is as far as I will take it. My cell phone is primarily for me to call others, family and office have my number. Now a days I guess anyone I call on my cell has my number, but I don't answer when I'm in session so I'm mostly unavailable on that number.

Come hurricane season we have flashlights, candles, and oil lamps. I have three other ways to cook than the kitchen, and none of them rely on electricity. Heat and hot water are gas and that doesn't go out very often. During the day at least I can do all my casting and reloading without power.