PDA

View Full Version : Crimp grooves, which one to use??

country85
08-12-2012, 07:59 AM
My lee 310 grain flat point mold throws a boolit with two crimp grooves, I know in a pistol you have to crimp in the upper groove (shorter so it doesn't stick out the end of the cylinder) but I've noticed that if I crimp in the lower groove(giving a longer loaded round) the boolit just kisses the rifling in my handi rifle. Any one have experience doing this? I know I'll have lower pressures with less seating depth which will affect velocity, 1,300 to 1,400 fps is my goal. Right now I"m loading with 6.8 grains of Unique, but haven't got a chance to shoot any of my 310's yet, And kinda wanting input before I go load up the couple hundred I have cast lol

country85
08-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Here's a pic if it helps

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa347/Robert_Harwood/Bullet%20Casting/DSCN0393-1.jpg

Longwood
08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Make up about fifty or more loads with ten each of different bullet depths and powder charges to look for a starting point.
Find what shoot best then go from there.

OBXPilgrim
08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
You have no idea how lucky you are.

I think most everyone that has used this boolit would love to use it loaded to the longer length. I know in my Win 94 44 mag, it has to be the shorter length. I can still push it fast enough that I don't really want to push it any more, but I really wouldn't be able to push it that much faster anyway - at the longer length seating, I'd have the option.

The longer length would give more options and would probably give you better accuracy. Unless you want to keep the velocity down or want to use it in another rifle/pistol - it's win/win for you.

Have you thought about another powder? Say 2400? That boolit usually needs to be pushed hard, to stabilize.

country85
08-12-2012, 07:25 PM
I've got a pound of H110 I load my jacketed stuff with, and I've heard 18.5 grains is a good load for this boolit, but I don't know if I will have to gas check them or not, If I do I'm going to have to order a special sizing die, cause my mold drops dead on .432 which is what my barrel slugs at.