PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about the Multi Ball handgun loads

jh45gun
08-12-2012, 06:25 AM
I had to bring this back up as I was wondering you hear of folks saying if you seat a bullet too far in the case it raises pressures so would not these multi ball loads raise the pressure also? If not why? Got a friend that wants to try them I might too.

Now as far as Self Defense goes why not? I know some would say a Lawyer would question these for defense loads but lets be realistic Judges and the Smith guns are selling off the shelf for folks that want to shoot multi ball loads for defense or heavy shot loads. Winchester and others are making multi ball loads in the 410 (buck shot loads but in reality it is the same thing as they are stacked also as it would be in a pistol case or they are making disc rounds and shot. So what is the difference? I do not buy the premise that you cannot use a hand load for self defense. Folks been using them for years and if they want to argue that fact if you used a muzzle loader for self defense your hand loading.

btroj
08-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Multi ball loads can raise the pressure, if you use a load listed for a "normal" bullet. The entire key is to take the reduced powder capacity into account and reduce the powder charge.
I shoot 5 gr of Unique with a 158 swc in 38 cases all the time. I would never load 2 .360 round balls in at the same time with that powder charge.

44man
08-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Yep. Powder choice and load. There is info somewhere but I have none.

Good Cheer
08-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Multi-ball loads might be good in the "Judge". But, surely someone has addressed it already.

theperfessor
08-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Years ago I had a blue Charter Bulldog that I carried double ball loads in. A .433 ball weighs 123 grs or so, two of them weighed 246 grs, which is a standard .44 Special bullet weight. Lots of info on powders and charges for that weight. Seated the first ball so the top was a little below the case mouth, then I scraped a little bullet lube off a lube stick into the rim of the case and then seated the second ball with the midpoint just below the case neck and a gentle roll crimp applied.

IIRC I used a starting load of Bullseye from the Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook I had at the time. You do have less combustion chamber volume but not as much loss as you think. Unlike a bullet with a flat base, the round "bottom" of the ball is a hemisphere, and you get some volume back from this shot-glass shaped space. Also, the engraving pressure is much lower with the balls as they engage the rifling at the diameter line compared to the entire bearing length of a conventional bullet.

What you DON'T want to happen is to have any airspace between the balls - which is why I make sure the second ball pushes the first ball down into the case further as it is seated. It ensures positive contact. For a while I also tried lube soaked cardboard disks I cut out with a sharp case rim. Thought that would provide a little lube and also keep the balls from possibly welding together. Inconclusive results, might try a felt wad or something similar if I ever do it again.

Results? Generally out to 15 yards POI was about the same as factory 246 gr round-nose lead loads and the balls were always within three inches or so of each other. And the cartridges just fell in and out of the cylinder very easily.

I was trying to come up with a load with high stopping power and lower lethality. With a Bulldog you only get five chances, and I really don't want to shoot anybody, much less have to shoot them twice. Downside is the ricochet potential, they balls bounce around pretty good from a hard surface.

1Shirt
08-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Chedk out Beagles article on multi ball load! It is excellent, and very well illustrated.
1Shirt!

jh45gun
08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Yea I read it already though I would like to find some other powder choices in the 38. It was good info.

jh45gun
08-13-2012, 06:29 AM
I have about 60 38 cal 70 grain wadcutters that a friend gave me that I think would make a good double bullet load. I wish some one still made this mold. I have not loaded them yet would have to find a powder charge. Two of them together on my scale weighed 142 grains. I wonder who made it in the first place? It would be a mold that if some one like lee made it I would buy it but no way would I pay a custom price for one.