PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 03A3 barrel...

StratsMan
08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Thought I'd start by asking here....

I inherited by grandpa's sporterized 1903 Springfield, and want to replace the barrel (muzzle measures .3105")... I found/bought a new 2-groove barrel, but I have no tools for installing the beast...

Is there someone in the St. Louis area who is capable and willing to help???

If so, please PM me to set up a meet and discuss details...

NOTE: Yes, I've approached my local gunsmith... he wants $300+ to install and refinish barrel and receiver....

Thanks,

StratsMan

John Taylor
08-12-2012, 08:41 AM
There are lots of gunsmiths that will do the work for much less. I can switch barrels for you for around $30 if I don't need to run the chamber deeper for headspace. If you want it reblued after I would suggest Doyles gun shop, 208-686-1006. He has the tools for R&R barrel plus he does a great job on bluing, about 40-60 guns a week. You can send a gun through the mail, UPS or Fed-Ex to a licensed dealer for repair without going through another dealer and it can be sent direct back to you.

Forrest r
08-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I'd try cutting the bbl back & recrowning it first. Who knows, you could have a killer bbl that was cleaned from the muzzle end of the bbl with a steal cleaning rod it's whole life. Muzzles wear out from improper cleaning, bbl throats are the ones that wear out from shooting. I sporterized a 03a3 many years ago and had a new bbl put on it & shot the heck out of that thing. When the accuracy finely fell off I checked the muzzle (0-3) with a muzzle gage & it read 1/2. I checked the chamber end of the bbl (TE scale on the gage 1 to 9) & it read 9+. Uncle sam came to the conclusion that it took 1000 shots to make one # on their TE gage (TE= throat erosion). Hence a bbl that started out life with a 0 TE & now has a TE of 5 has roughly 5,000 rounds down the tube.

Try slugging the bbl first & use a slow even pressure feeling for loose and tight spots. You should do this to your new bbl also, I've seen/felt new replacement bbls that that were garbage. You should check/slug the new bbl before you pay someone to have it instaslled.

Reg
08-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Don't mess around. Just do what John Taylor said. He is right on.
Mel Doyles work can only be called "Outstanding".

StratsMan
08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Two votes for Mel Doyle....

So I called him; just got off the phone... WOW!! The price is right, and turnaround time will be fast.... Looks like the shipping will take longer than the work!!!

Gonna send that 1903 off to Idaho shortly...

Thanks guys!!!

John Taylor
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Mel is great to work with. He use to be my neighbor and we traded work back and forth then and still do. Just sent him a barrel to blue today.