PDA

View Full Version : Question on a Lee mold

Johnch
07-13-2005, 02:23 AM
I picked up a LEE C452-300-RF mold tonight at a yard sale of all places .
Looks new.
Could not pass it up for $2

I plan on trying it out for deer out of my 454 this fall .

My question is with is with the big flat nose will it work in my 45 colt Marlin 1894 Cowboy ?

All I have ever used in it are some 250 gr SWC

Also any idea what top punch to use with my Lyman sizer ?

Johnch

VP
07-13-2005, 03:34 AM
I picked up a LEE C452-300-RF mold tonight at a yard sale of all places. Looks new. Johnch Send yard sale address. Did they have moulds for .45 Colt?

Doctor Sam
07-17-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't know about your Marlin. This bullet works great in my Rossi M92 carbine .45 Colt. Feeds well with no hang-ups. I use a rather fast load with Lil'Gun that groups well. Relative new combo for me so I can't comment on game. Paco Kelly is running this weight cast bullet in excess of 1800 fps in his Rossi. That will give you some idea of the potential.
I had a Williams 5D receiver sight and a front firesight installed and the factory sights removed. Sure an improvement for my old eyes.
This Lee double cavity mold worked well from the gitgo. Drops beautiful bullets right away. I use the alox/beeswax lube and have no leading in the rifle.
Shoots very well also in two Ruger revolvers.
Good luck with yours.

9.3X62AL
07-17-2005, 08:01 PM
My Ruger BisHawk in 45 Colt dearly loves this boolit--now that its venturis have been opened to the proper .453" from their factory .449" dimensions. I am glad that Ruger doesn't engage in oral surgery--if so, they would extract teeth through the anal vent.

A couple months back, I and a co-conspirator kept metal impact targets ringing to 125 yards at Angeles Shooting Club with these boolits prompted to 1100 FPS by some rated-R amount of 2400--I think 15.0 grains. I am not one to bow and scrape at the Altar Of Wide Meplat--but these bullets shot well, and anything with pulse and respiration that encountered one at 1100 FPS would not gain in overall health by the experience.