PDA

View Full Version : My son is getting ready with the Hot Rod Renegade.

idahoron
08-11-2012, 08:15 PM
My son drew a ML Deer tag and he Drew a ML antelope tag. The same tag I had a couple years ago. We have both been very excited to see him get these hunts. Today we went out to let him shoot. The Rifle is the Hot Rod Renegade. That rifle is actually his gun. I have shot it so much that I forget that I only borrow it. Any way, the gun is always sighted in so him practicing is the only real work.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Jacobshootingoffsticks.jpg

Today I wanted him to walk around and shoot off sticks. So we set up the steel gong and went at it. His first shot was 89 yards. I picked that because that was the yardage I shot my antelope. He got ready and shot, the report back was good it was a solid hit. The next shot was 118 yards. The gun was not cleaned. He set the sight and took the shot, another solid hit. So we loaded the gun again no cleaning. The next shot was 130 yards. It took a while to get the results but it was another solid hit. I went down to look at the target and was very happy to see his three shots were in a tight little cluster. Even with yardage changes and sight changes for the different yardages his group was amazing. His group is the clover leaf in the center.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Jacobsgroupoffsticks8-11-12.jpg

For his last shot we cleaned the rifle and with a friend watching I found a new target. I saw a white rock 244 yards away on the face of a small hill. I told him the yardage he set the sight and smacked the rock. It was about as big as a foot ball. My buddy said I don't want to shoot now. I don't want that kid to see how bad I shoot. Talk about an ego boost for a kid getting ready to go on a hunt. Ron
Man I was proud if him. Ron

Hogdaddy
08-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Nice Shooting . What boolit did he use and what charge ??; )
H/D

idahoron
08-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Nice Shooting . What boolit did he use and what charge ??; )
H/D

The load is a Paper patched 460 gr Lee 500 S&W bullet, 80 gr of pyrodex P with an over powder wad. This bullet comes out of the barrel at 1310 fps.

OverMax
08-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Wow!!

idahoron
08-12-2012, 12:51 AM
That rifle has been my go to rifle for a while. It is a very nice shooting rifle. Ron

Boerrancher
08-12-2012, 09:01 AM
That is some good stuff there Ron. Keep encouraging that boy. The rifle may be a great shooter, but the trigger puller is what makes it all happen, and that is some impressive trigger pulling.

Best wishes

Joe

Hogdaddy
08-12-2012, 07:14 PM
The load is a Paper patched 460 gr Lee 500 S&W bullet, 80 gr of pyrodex P with an over powder wad. This bullet comes out of the barrel at 1310 fps.

The reason I asked becuase I see a recoil pad on it. I shoot 80gr with a patched R/B .490 with no kick at all ; )
H/D

4given
08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Nice shooting! I'll bet you taught him everything he knows! :smile:

I'm going to shoot my Renegade again Saturday. I'm getting it dialed in with a 450gr Lyman Plains I casted up. I sighted in with some that HARRYMPOPE form this board casted for me. I ended up buying the mold from him. If ya ever want to go to the range let me know. I belong to the Homedale Gun club and we have a pretty nice facility.

idahoron
08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
I live in the Twin Falls area. That is a ways to go to shoot. Thanks for the offer. Ron

horsesoldier
08-14-2012, 11:18 PM
With the rear sight, do you count the clicks when you adjust for elevation or do you have some other system?

4given
08-15-2012, 08:39 AM
I live in the Twin Falls area. That is a ways to go to shoot. Thanks for the offer. Ron

Oh! Somehow I missed that you live there!

idahoron
08-15-2012, 08:07 PM
With the rear sight, do you count the clicks when you adjust for elevation or do you have some other system?

There is a vernier style scale on the side. I painted the hash marks that are 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/Muzzleloaders/Rearsight2.jpg