PDA

View Full Version : pure lead frosting?

HARRYMPOPE
08-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I have never had it happen and dont think it can

anybody else?

lwknight
08-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Pure lead does not frost. It does turn blue and/or rainbow colors when its been hot a long time or cast really hot.

HARRYMPOPE
08-11-2012, 03:43 PM
An "expert" on a muzzle loading forum giving a new caster advice told a guy "when casting lead balls if they frost it was too hot".I found it funny.Blue purple has been my experience with lead as well.

George

turmech
08-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I am no expert but when I cast lee slugs I use what I thought was considered as pure (scrap lead pipe). I have to run the mold and lead fairly hot and get some frosting. I am fine with that as frosting never has bother me too much. I don't know may be my lead pipes are not that pure.

Defcon-One
08-11-2012, 09:29 PM
There is very little PURE lead out there. Most has some Antimony or Tin in it, often both metals like COWWs do.

To get really PURE lead, you need to buy it from a refiner, like Rotometals.

A bit of anything can make it frost at high temps!

HARRYMPOPE
08-11-2012, 11:36 PM
mine is nuclear shielding bricks

runfiverun
08-12-2012, 12:18 AM
a lot of lead pipe has antimony in it.
it's extruded and the antimony doesn't affect the hardness of swaged or extruded lead.
some lead pipe is called chemical lead and has 3-5% antimony.

onehousecat
08-14-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm not a metallurgist, so I'll leave that to to to guys who know more than I. I have cast bullets that were frosted. They shot just as good as the others, so I never gave it much though.

fcvan
08-14-2012, 01:36 PM
I can frost up allow boolits but all I have gotten when casting pure lead round balls has been a few colored ones. I recently cast about 27 pounds of pure into .454 round balls. Very pretty. Back when all the softer lead I had access to was range lead I used to fill the pot and crank it up for an hour. I would drop 2 pounds from the bottom pour and mark them "L." They were noticeably softer. The other 8 pounds would get fluxed and used for my .41 Mag loads. Regular range lead I used straight for .38, 9mm, and .45. That stuff I could get frosty. Frank