PDA

View Full Version : Cooked duck and rabbit tonight.

JeffinNZ
08-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Had friends around for dinner. Folk from the UK or the "old country". I cooked Paradise Duck (local shelduck) and rabbit. Duck breasts and rabbit back steaks. Casseroled each individually of course in an appropriate recipe to suit the very different types of meat. BEAUTIFUL result and well received. I favoured the duck but all others called bunny as the winner.

captaint
08-11-2012, 06:39 AM
If I had to pick ahead of time, I'd take the bunny too. Hard to beat them rabbits.. Mike

dagger dog
08-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Hey Jeff,

I guess ya'll are still in winter down there ?

Our hunting season starts with squirrels this coming week of the 15th here in the Ohio River breaks in southern Indiana USA.

Doves in Sept. deer bow, and coyote, fox Oct., rabbits Nov, then the waterfowl and deer gun. Then the lastof the "season" ends with furbearer in March.

Being able to feed friends and family with game taken from the land gives one a special feeling.

The last time I have been able to do that was in my younger years while residing in Pennsylvania. One year at our US holiday of Thanksgiving, I was able to offer pheasant,venision, and rabbit.

I'll add another vote for the bunny, I like it fixed Southern style, dredged in seasond flour and fried in a cast iron skillet until golden brown.

Gotta use the skillet "drippin's" to make a flour roux cooked into a milk gravy,to ladle over mashed potatoes. Then IF I can talk the wife into making 6 of her savory cathead biscuts !

For some strange reason I'm hungry, be back after while!

375RUGER
08-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Although rabbit is good, I like duck. It's hard to beat a smoked duck or goose.

Gliden07
08-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Duck Breast has my vote I use to hunt them hardcore!! Would take a week from work off just to get after them!!

captain-03
08-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Love to hunt them there ducks!! BUT, for eating -- the bunnies get my vote!!

runfiverun
08-11-2012, 12:43 PM
rabbit tastes too much like house cat to me.
duck and dove are favored in this house by a wide margin.

DCM
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
R5r does house cat taste like eagle or heron? :bigsmyl2:

Both rabbit and duck sound DELICIOUS to me Jeff.

44man
08-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Had friends around for dinner. Folk from the UK or the "old country". I cooked Paradise Duck (local shelduck) and rabbit. Duck breasts and rabbit back steaks. Casseroled each individually of course in an appropriate recipe to suit the very different types of meat. BEAUTIFUL result and well received. I favoured the duck but all others called bunny as the winner.
Sounds good but you are hiding the recipes! :groner:

bowfin
08-11-2012, 07:54 PM
I favoured the duck but all others called bunny as the winner.

A man after my own heart. I like rabbit, but I like duck better.

Sounds like you make a great host to whip up a meal that would make a visit even more remarkable. No one should go 3/4 around the world and eat the same food they could have had at home!:drinks:

bowfin
08-11-2012, 08:02 PM
rabbit tastes too much like house cat to me.

I don't care much for house cat myself, but you might as well make use of the meat if you skin a matching set of calicos to make a pair of slippers.

gew98
08-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I'll take rabbit breaded & deep fried or brazed in a skillet with butter , olive oil , onions and garlic any day of the week over duck. Never could get into duck , but dove is not shabby at all if you can bag a bunch of them !.

danski26
08-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Duck and rabbit fed my way through my college years. Still love duck cubed with a chunk of bacon seasoned on the grill. Rabbit sandwiches are darn good too.

smokeywolf
08-11-2012, 10:43 PM
gew98,
I always liked my bunny basted with garlic butter over a burning pile of pecan wood. But, I've copied and pasted your recipe into a word doc.; very anxious to try it. Now I've got to wait for cooler weather (December) and find a place to nail some bunnies. My old haunts are now off limits.

smokeywolf

Wal'
08-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Mum's stuffed & baked rabbits with vegies was a favorite I well remember.

Still miss the flavor of cooked bunny on a open fire.