PDA

View Full Version : Case Lube, Lanolin: Important to remove before shooting?

Dannix
08-11-2012, 03:27 AM
I'm only just now starting to reload rifle (I had a pile of factory rounds to burn through first) and so I'm only just now using the couple of pounds of lanolin from randyrat a while back.

I have one question though: Is it important to somehow remove the lanolin before shooting? Or is the thin film kosher to leave on the case, unlike perhaps some different case lubes?

randyrat
08-11-2012, 06:22 AM
I never leave any case lube on my rounds,if you do you could end up with dimple indents in your brass.
I just lay the fresh rounds on a rag fold it over on the rounds and roll. with Lanolin you can use Alcohol to remove it easily.

Calamity Jake
08-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Yes you need to remove the lube, after sizing I run the brass thru my vibrating cleaner using walnut media dedicated to lube removal, add a little mineral spirits to control dust and help remove the lube.

Leaving cases lubed causes excessive bolt thrust, not a good thing.

geargnasher
08-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Just roll them on a solvent-dampened towel and then on a dry one.

Gear

Doc Highwall
08-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I have several plastic containers filled with different tumbling medias for my tumbler.

When I shoot a semi auto the cases fall out on the ground so I tumble them for just a short time to get the grit off before sizing them which is not required when shooting a bolt gun or single shot off the bench slow fire.

I use the Dillon spray lube that has lanolin and after sizing them I give them a wash in hot water and dish soap followed with a cold water rinse, then I shake as much water off as I can and then throw them into the tumbler to dry them off.

When I take them out of the tumbler they are nice and clean and I leave the cover off the tumbler so the media can dry. When the media is dry I pour it back into it's container until needed again.