PDA

View Full Version : Trying to duplicate Hornady's SST load

cavalrymedic
08-11-2012, 02:19 AM
I have a remington 870 with a slug barrel which I really enjoy shooting. I have been enjoying shooting the Hornady 300 grain sst loads, but not enjoying paying $13 for 5 rounds. I can pick up a roll crimper for the hulls, the powder, the primer, and I can envision using a 50 cal cast with a spitzer type point. Maybe I would even spring for the Hornady J-words themselves, but I can't figure out what sort of plastic wad to use. All of the plastic wads I have seen look to be for those funny shaped 'brenneke?' styles.

Does anyone have any experience loading for this and can suggest a good plastic wad/ sabot, along with a powder combinaton?

At first, when I bought my first box of shells, I thought, "If 2 3/4 inch is good, then why not 3 or even 3 1/2?" But after shooting those 2 3/4 sabots, well, I don't think my frame could handle that much deliberate abuse. I have never taken such a pounding. I shoot 444 Marlin, and that is brisk, but YIKES, those sabots let you know they are the real deal!

"Funny" side story. My son and his friend were on my range shooting 30-30 and such, and I broke out the Sabots for the first time, to see if I could sight them in with my scoped barrel. I have always preached gun safety and precaution and etc. First shot, the scope cracks me in the forehead, nearly knocks me out, and splits open a nasty wound on my forehead. It's really tough to pretend I was doing everything right with a stream of blood dripping off of my nose. So I had to turn it into a "see what can happen" moment.

SuperBlazingSabots
08-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Good morning Cavalrymedic, I'm very sorry to hear about you getting hurt!!!
I hope and prey that you have recovered and are ready for some real fun at the range.

This hobby is suppose to be fun with your own home cooked meals like Slug loads.
1 . Call MidSouth and order Lee 7/8 Oz or 1 Oz slug mold for $17 plus change and while you are at it order a Lee load All or buy a used Mec single stage loader!
2. Call BPI and order 2 3/4 Brown Fiocchi hulls for $8.99 and while you are at it get a bag of Trap Commander wads and a bag of .125-16 Gauge to go below the slug, in wad.
3 Get a can of Blue Dot powder locally to avoid paying Hasmat charges!
4. Please read this and other posts:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=150140&page=4
A lot of good helpful shooters here who will help you.
Have a great day, you have work to do now!
Ajay
Blazing Sabots, LLC
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
www.BlazingSabots.com
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

cavalrymedic
08-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Thank you very much. Now I'm just waiting for the various components to arrive.
My pride was more hurt than my face. I have long since recovered, and now I'm a bit more cautious firing slugs with scopes.

Ken